The laws of football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The offside rule is ridiculous as is VAR.
Football is about goals and great goals at that and we are being deprived of them because a player is millimetres offside. No,player can adjudge whether he is offsid when such measurements are considered. It’s the foot, only the foot and the whole foot that can should cause a player to be offside.
Again, VAR is supposed to,assist the referee but it is taking over. Perhaps it should only be used if the referees asks for it to look at an incident of which he is unsure. The term ‘ when a clear error is made’ is used but when VAR takes 5 minutes to reach a decision or tells the referee to look at the pitch side monitor, where is the ‘ clear error’ then?
Plus we should be giving attackers the benefit of any doubt if decisions are marginal to promote a forward thinking approach

Offside should just be judged via feet for starters. You can't tell me that a lean of 10 degrees gives any advantage if your feet are level: it just means you're ready to go and thinking faster/anticipating faster than the defender.

Also, yet to hear any explanation as to why they showed the son offside from one side of the pitch and having found it inconclusive, they looked from the other side...which meant you couldn't see the defender clearly. Does this happen on the regular?
They always have the ability to use multiple camera views we just don't see it/ need to use very often. They say they are time stamped so exact same moment from another view.

It's crap anyway as we don't have the framerates to give a true decison when the decision is marginal

If we are going all in on VAR they need to mic the bloody refs up.

Only way we'll understand what the fuck they are doing and what the rules are.

I understand their reticence to do so as the audio from the Liverpool "offside" was a car crash

Everything being decided behind closed doors only amplifies the animosity

Also bin the pitchside screen.... VAR refs should either over-rule or have the OG call stand..... No 2nd bite for the onfield ref.

Offside: go old school, if you are offside you are offside irrelevant of ‘interfering with play’ but take the goalie out of the equation, last outfield player is the marker only. Would make it very simple to officiate. You might even automate it like goal line tech.
Interfering with play was great when it first came in, a few times a year a goal was disallowed because a winger near the corner flag was offside. That was crap.

Problem was when they started looking for reasons for a player not to be interfering when its obvious they are.

Also in La Liga this weekend

That's one club/example.

Like I said I watched el Classico and VAR was very minimally part of the game. Only really on incident that it didn't get involved in.

No way a big game like that in the prem passes without VAR centre stage.

Most of the laws are fine, handball a bit odd, the execution of VAR, the people using it, the time it takes and the consistency with which they arrive at decisions is the bigger issue. VAR should be much quicker, much quieter.

I think I heard/read somewhere that there were 17 VAR checks in the match Monday, and that 14 of them required stoppage of the game.

They always have the ability to use multiple camera views we just don't see it/ need to use very often. They say they are time stamped so exact same moment from another view.

It's crap anyway as we don't have the framerates to give a true decison when the decision is marginal

This baffles me tbh..... I dunno what gear they're using but we can hit 300fps these days. Surely thar should get us close enough and avoid the blurred shit we see so much of the time.

The league itself rakes in billions...... Expense shouldn't be an issue.

Interfering with play was great when it first came in, a few times a year a goal was disallowed because a winger near the corner flag was offside. That was crap.

Problem was when they started looking for reasons for a player not to be interfering when its obvious they are.

The spirit of the rules they are writing seems to get lost so quickly..... Same with hardball.

This baffles me tbh..... I dunno what gear they're using but we can hit 300fps these days. Surely thar should get us close enough and avoid the blurred shit we see so much of the time.

In 4k you can get 300 FPS. In 1080 you can get over 900 FPS.

And 1080 Would be fine for VAR replays

You would need the same 100 meter sprint (10,000 mps) directly in line and when the ball is hit to be as exact as they say they are.

Semi automatic offsides are not the solution they say it is just because they can generate a graphic

I think I heard/read somewhere that there were 17 VAR checks in the match Monday, and that 14 of them required stoppage of the game.

Ridiculous.

It's almost like they try and look at everything to try and rule something out. Like every goal that's scored, even if it's not clear and obvious, its like they just try and find the smallest thing and ponder over it.

Football is such a simple game, made complicated by people who know squat about how the game is played. It seems that every tweak introduced to make things clearer or fairer just makes things worse. No common sense in evidence, drives me nuts.
What we want to see is the ball in play, attacking football and goals, everything about the modern game seems to result in the complete opposite.
The way VAR is implemented is a joke, and refs have either become lazy or scared to make a decision.
Inconsistency is also a big problem, how can two refs be so different in their decision making?
However, it doesn't help that the game is littered with cheating players, who either deliberately go out to maim or roll around when they haven't been touched.

Plus we should be giving attackers the benefit of any doubt if decisions are marginal to promote a forward thinking approach
Whilst actively punishing attackers for diving/"simulation" (including using the available technology, retroactively, if necessary.)

Similar concept as:
Q: Why do big banks/big biz break laws/regulations?
A: Because the punishments are so moderate, that it doesn't make economic sense for them NOT to.

I'm sorry, but a red card AND a penalty for a world class defender making a successful defensive action is SO disproportionate to Sterling; maybe getting a yellow for any one of the number of flops he made on Monday, trying to 'unlawfully gain an advantage'.

It also seemed that VAR was rewatching every single action of ours with a fine-toothed comb, but giving a cursory rewatch to every Chav action against us.

If we're grokking INTENT with follow-throughs after successful defensive actions, then Shirley we can grok INTENT on diving/simulation/looking for contact to gain an advantage.

Back
Top Bottom