The Newcastle Yo-Yos vs. Wembley Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For their first game back the Geordie support was woeful, they seemed to save their loudest for booing sisokko and jeering Dele, desperate, love to see them go back down, despite the media reach around, their home support was shit.

Every game I've been to at St. James's I've been surprised how quiet the home support is. Same again.

Okay game. Pleased we got the result but we weren't flowing well in the first half at all. A better team would have caused us serious problems.

THANK FUCK, football is back so this place might settle down a bit.
I thought we were deliberately controlled in the 1st half and in the end full value for an important win.
Big plusses for me were KWP and Dele
KWP will be the real deal was impressed with his debut, did better than I expected but he is not the complete package just yet so give him some time.to develop.
Dele was maybe looking a bit rusty 1st half but had a great 2nd half and the biggest plus is he appears to have matured and to be able to keep his temper in check.
Son looked sharp when he came on and good to see Wanyama get some pitch time. Didn't think anyone had a bad game, even Sissoko did ok but his lacking of passing ability does stand out still.and id expect him to be off soon.
A good solid win with lots to look forward to, cant wait for next week, bring it on, COYS

Every game I've been to at St. James's I've been surprised how quiet the home support is. Same again.

Okay game. Pleased we got the result but we weren't flowing well in the first half at all. A better team would have caused us serious problems.

Think it the crowd were quiet because we took the sting out of them. Keep the ball for the first 15 minutes the crowd hush up and it allows you to grow into the game.

We deserved a 3-0 win for our professional performance but I'll take 2-0

Think it the crowd were quiet because we took the sting out of them. Keep the ball for the first 15 minutes the crowd hush up and it allows you to grow into the game.

We deserved a 3-0 win for our professional performance but I'll take 2-0

I live up here and went to see them when they were in the Championship. Thought at the time the crowd was shit because most of them had stopped going due to relegation and it was all non-supporters like me. Apparently not.

Important that we now go into our first game at Wembley with 3 points already won. Chelsea will be a huge test, and hopefully we can use our win over Juventus as encouragement.

Chelsea are short of Hazard, Cahill, Fabregas and potentially Pedro. I still expect a very hard test though, as they are always up for it against us.

Important that we now go into our first game at Wembley with 3 points already won. Chelsea will be a huge test, and hopefully we can use our win over Juventus as encouragement.

Chelsea are short of Hazard, Cahill, Fabregas and potentially Pedro. I still expect a very hard test though, as they are always up for it against us.

They have some decent players out but they have plenty of quality still. In my view, if we beat Chelsea it will signal to me that we are good enough to win the league title this season. But a draw or loss would suggest we will fall short. I know it's early in the season but they were the only team as good as us last season and it's our first game at Wembley so will set the tone for the whole season there.

If Newcastle play like that week in week out, they are in for a really long season. Very negative football. We on the other hand were patient and always looked to take the three points, even without Shelvey's stupid red card. What was he thinking? Same old Shelvey.

We were totally professional today.
Quietened them in the first half.
Irritated them enough to make the petulant mistakes that weakened them early in the 2nd...
And most importantly, took advantage of those weaknesses! Something we have failed to do against 10 men in the past.

We were clearly the better team but traditionally we start slowly and the biggest danger was 0-0. Given more than a helping hand by the red card. At first even after the red card we still did not look like scoring but that is often the case then we do score. After that comfortable. Have mixed feeling about them not pressing for more to get top as the Media could have gone over the top then and we would be brought back down to earth next Sunday. We will never know if we would have won against 11 but does not matter and 3 points in the bag at a ground where we have a poor history. Happy.

The first half was like watching paint dry bar a few moments. Eriksen's shooting foot was calibrated way off. But luckily his assist foot was fine tuned for the second half. The second half started much hotter and once Shelvey went off it was inevitable that we'd win. We were consummate professionals.

Not much to complain about collectively. A few shoddy passes in the first half but the players got into it more and more. I throught KWP had a good, almost great debut. He was never truly tested and when he was he did fine.

Alli, outside of the goal and the great Shelvey cunt off was rusty and at times invisible. That's really my main issue with Dele as a whole bar his temper. He tries to make things look flashier than they should be, and when that doesn't click he disappears. He's a player with low bottom levels and great peaks. And he truly peaked on the goal. When he's great he's great.

Sissoko had a solid game. He had to deal with a very hostile crowd which can never be easy. He had some shoddy passes but he wasn't the only one and his physical game was good. Did a few sneaky runs that were never capitalized on. Not the greatest game he's ever played. But he wasn't bad either or deserves to be "carted off".

Son was a breath of fresh air once he came on. An extra level of speed and pace that was needed for the game.

Davies was good offensively and when he messed things up in defense he always corrected his mistakes. Great day for him.

Kane looked clunky today. Hopefully he is running better for Chavs next weekend.

All in all the 3 points were never in doubt once Shelvey went off. Another day at the office for the boys.

YM3ed7V.jpg

If Newcastle play like that week in week out, they are in for a really long season. Very negative football. We on the other hand were patient and always looked to take the three points, even without Shelvey's stupid red card. What was he thinking? Same old Shelvey.

To be fair, they nearly got the 0-0 they wanted if their players had kept their heads. Shelvey was playing with passion and reacting to some gamesmanship by Alli. The reaction was over the top but he was clearly provoked by Alli pushing the ball away when they had possession. There was a lot of that shit going on throughout the match on both sides.

That said, Alli seems to have got some sort of karma though after his red vs Yacob when he was provoked a couple of seasons ago. He has somehow learnt how to piss an entire team off without violent conduct, and let the opponents get sent off instead. Honestly, I thought they were in the game and gifted us 3 points as we might've had to work hard for them not being at full speed yet.

Back
Top Bottom