The North London Derby (Home)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Overall I thought we played much better today but when we just needed a scrappy goal to go in in that 10 minute period after half time it just wouldn't happen or us. Classic spurs.

I actually came away relatively positive because I thought we were going to be humiliated today. At the same time It's sad that it's come to this. A sort of fucked up version of bill nick's famous quote:

"We at spurs have set our expectations so low that even a 1-0 defeat to Woolwich will have an echo of glory."

Didn't see the game. Im sick of the way we play, i don't understand why we try and control the tempo when we don't have the players to do it. We get caught on the counter because of our current tactics, when it should be us catching them. We have townsend, ade, chadli, eriksen plus the full backs. Why don't we sit back and catch other teams? It fucks me off

Yes, it's the truth ... but the truth also is that we got 100 freaking million pounds!

You wana know where the hard truth really lies?
It is that we wasted a freaking HUGE, once in a lifetime opportunity.

Fucking cunts didn't know how to spend it! :avbwtf:

I think the only one that could be a liability though is Soldado.

7 players that cost £105m would need to average £15m on resale to break-even. Lamela and Eriksen could well have at least 10 years to prove themselves, as could the other 4 (Capoue, Chadli, Chiriches, Paulinho).

Instant impact would have been great, but we at least have a second line of hope with them 6.

Soldado is 29 in a couple of months, think we've paid the most he'll ever be worth; even if he had an immense 2nd season.

Well that wasn't as bad as I was expecting. After going one down so early on I thought we were in for a long afternoon.
The effort and desire was there but the quality was missing. We were by far the better team.
Ade ran his bollocks off all game and was covering players he shouldnt have had to.
Naughton just isn't good enough, nor is Rose, where the fuck was he on their goal?
Vertonghen carries on with his half Arsed attitude.
On the whole I thoought we showed a bit of character and should not have lost that game.

I thought the atmosphere was pretty good considering we were behind virtually from the start.

At least now we can enjoy watching the team we all love play some football without having to worry about targets or objectives. Let's have some fun!

Should this be in the FIFA thread, or do we have a plan for the next few games?

:troll:

I joke. Would be nice to think we could enjoy the rest of the season, but if everton win their game-in-hand we'll be 6th and United are breathing down our neck too...

Whichever way you look at it, we've not had the stadium (and thus income) of the larger teams, hence meaning that some sort of financial stability has to be made somehow

We've spent a lot of money and continually reinvested, and over 13 years we're lucky to have stepped up to be where we are. Sometimes transfers work out, sometimes they don't. We've been unlucky that they've not worked out as well as some other team's, but it's not through lack of spending or trying.

Berba, Carrick, Modric, Bale and Keane all wanted to leave (Keane was a Liverpool supporter and was massively enamoured by being #7 at Liverpool after they tapped him up, he just didn't know that Benitez would shove him out of position)

I respect your points mate and can see your side to things - in fact I agree over 13 years we have been lucky - it is only the past 6 years that I am truly questioning.

To clarify, I would not mind if Levy was a Kenwright-type chairman and steadied the ship on a tight budget, sold our star players, had a go at 4th but truly expected 5th-8th each year, didn't sack the manager, and kept the general spine of the team, with an ethos of the club, fair ticket prices and general atmosphere which reflect that expectation.

Alternatively, I also would not mind if Levy was an Abramovich-type chairman who truly went for the "next level", kept the star players, fulfilled the manager's wishes, and sacked them ruthlessly if they failed to meet the high expectations of a Champions League and title contending team every season.

My problem is Levy is neither. He tries to be Abramovich on a Kenwright budget. Promises the next level and doesn't have the balls to back his decision when it matters. Fair enough if he can't and needs to balance the books. But then don't sack the managers when you sell the top 4 players. Or at least admit you took a gamble and failed in your target for the past 6 years.

As for those top 4 players always wanting to leave, sorry mate, but Suarez wanted to leave and look where Liverpool are with him. Regarding Keane, we would've been his boyhood club if the money and players around him were right.

I think the only one that could be a liability though is Soldado.

7 players that cost £105m would need to average £15m on resale to break-even. Lamela and Eriksen could well have at least 10 years to prove themselves, as could the other 4 (Capoue, Chadli, Chiriches, Paulinho).

Instant impact would have been great, but we at least have a second line of hope with them 6.

Soldado is 29 in a couple of months, think we've paid the most he'll ever be worth; even if he had an immense 2nd season.

Everything is not all about the money. (though it unfortunately is nowdays in the real world)
Yeah, I get that we can recoup a lot of the money if the risk failed ....

But we fucking ruined up this season and a bright future.
Now what ... we gotta start again .... another transition?!!

Fuck this shit ... too many false positives.
Shoulda backed the manager a 100%.

Fucking sick of this. Will we ever finish above them?! I would take 5 years mid table (no CL anyway) whilst building anew stadium if after that time we can spend some real money on wages(NOT transfers) and keep our best players.
Modric
Bale
Berbatov
VDV
(Possibly got Willian)

I respect your points mate and can see your side to things - in fact I agree over 13 years we have been lucky - it is only the past 6 years that I am truly questioning.

To clarify, I would not mind if Levy was a Kenwright-type chairman and steadied the ship on a tight budget, sold our star players, had a go at 4th but truly expected 5th-8th each year, didn't sack the manager, and kept the general spine of the team, with an ethos of the club, fair ticket prices and general atmosphere which reflect that expectation.

Alternatively, I also would not mind if Levy was an Abramovich-type chairman who truly went for the "next level", kept the star players, fulfilled the manager's wishes, and sacked them ruthlessly if they failed to meet the high expectations of a Champions League and title contending team every season.

My problem is Levy is neither. He tries to be Abramovich on a Kenwright budget. Promises the next level and doesn't have the balls to back his decision when it matters. Fair enough if he can't and needs to balance the books. But then don't sack the managers when you sell the top 4 players. Or at least admit you took a gamble and failed in your target for the past 6 years.

As for those top 4 players always wanting to leave, sorry mate, but Suarez wanted to leave and look where Liverpool are with him. Regarding Keane, we would've been his boyhood club if the money and players around him were right.

I agree but Keane is an Irish player, they all love Liverpool and have massive links to the City through years of trade. Can't get round it. He said:
"I've been a Liverpool fan all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin, and I always had a Liverpool shirt on my back. So, to be here now as a Liverpool player is incredible and I couldn't be happier."

Can't get round that.

If you want to really pinpoint the blame in the last 6 years, it sort of lies with Redknapp for over-achieving.
If you owned a business and you had one shit employee, then you hired this old has been to do a half decent job, but he suddenly did amazing with the same resources, you'd sort of feel like "okay, so we definitely should be achieving more if that's what he can do, right?"

Levy is a spurs fan and wants what we all do, he's not perfect but I don't think he's doing that bad a job. As has been said, if someone bid £50m to liverpool, they wouldn't have Suarez. No one wanted to pay for him as he's a thug. Someone paid the stupid figure Levy quoted (reportedly, United even bid £100m), that why they still have him, and we don't have Gareth.

I think we have a great squad though, evidence is that we're still in the mix for 5th and even still 4th+ mathmatically, whilst still being shit all season with two managers trying to make a cake from a bag full of bad ingredients.

Everything is not all about the money. (though it unfortunately is nowdays in the real world)
Yeah, I get that we can recoup a lot of the money if the risk failed ....

But we fucking ruined up this season and a bright future.
Now what ... we gotta start again .... another transition?!!

Fuck this shit ... too many false positives.
Shoulda backed the manager a 100%.

I agree, but the hilarious reality is that the fan expect instant success, but blame the board for expecting it too.

I agree, but the hilarious reality is that the fan expect instant success, but blame the board for expecting it too.
Yup, I agree with your statement here too.
And on the other hand, the pitiful reality also is that the board too (along with modern day football) have this same mentality that the fans have.

I said this a few months ago and I still fell the same way ... imo, we should've just given AVB the full season. Yeah at times it was tough, but tbf who knows what coulda happened, and I doubt it would have been worse than the current state. I get things weren't as good with AVB vs others in the back stage, but the board scuppered this relationship when they failed to back him all the way in the Summer, which should be a HUGE regret imo.

Yup, I agree with your statement here too.
And on the other hand, the pitiful reality also is that the board too (along with modern day football) have this same mentality that the fans have.

I said this a few months ago and I still fell the same way ... imo, we should've just given AVB the full season. Yeah at times it was tough, but tbf who knows what coulda happened, and I doubt it would have been worse than the current state. I get things weren't as good with AVB vs others in the back stage, but the board scuppered this relationship when they failed to back him all the way in the Summer, which should be a HUGE regret imo.

But the only way for that to happen, from what I believe to be true, would be for half of Harry's soldiers to not be at the club in the first place. He should have pushed to cleanse the back room in the summer he joined.

It's just the way it goes.

Well that wasn't as bad as I was expecting. After going one down so early on I thought we were in for a long afternoon.
The effort and desire was there but the quality was missing. We were by far the better team.
Ade ran his bollocks off all game and was covering players he shouldnt have had to.
Naughton just isn't good enough, nor is Rose, where the fuck was he on their goal?
Vertonghen carries on with his half Arsed attitude.
On the whole I thoought we showed a bit of character and should not have lost that game.

I thought the atmosphere was pretty good considering we were behind virtually from the start.

Perhaps our expectations have raised too much.
We are 5th, (have never been regulars in the top 4) and by all accounts performing badly.
I think with the inevitable implosion of ManU we all had expectations that were perhaps unreasonable.....
Plus sacking a manager and 7 new players would never help.
We do have players that don't cut the mustard, lack direction, perpetually look naff on the break, fragile in defence, easy for teams to sit back on........ but we're still 5th.
Reckon we need a few players to gel, some positions to be looked at (left back, right wing - lamella can fill this, striker - ade isn't the long term answer sorry) and our board to bloody back a manger through good and bad times....

Perhaps our expectations have raised too much.
We are 5th, (have never been regulars in the top 4) and by all accounts performing badly.
I think with the inevitable implosion of ManU we all had expectations that were perhaps unreasonable.....
Plus sacking a manager and 7 new players would never help.
We do have players that don't cut the mustard, lack direction, perpetually look naff on the break, fragile in defence, easy for teams to sit back on........ but we're still 5th.
Reckon we need a few players to gel, some positions to be looked at (left back, right wing - lamella can fill this, striker - ade isn't the long term answer sorry) and our board to bloody back a manger through good and bad times....

I don't think we're expecting too much. Look at Liverpools squad - Rodgers is working miracles with that, They've got countless average players and look at where they are. With a bit of direction (A decent manager that knows how to get the best out of the players we have) there's no reason we can't do similar.

Back
Top Bottom