The Olympic Stadium thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

West hams stadium is gonna be about 50'000 right?
This will put them level with Sunderland and Newcastle roughly.
Except - They're getting a worse deal because they don't own the stadium.
They're going to sell less tickets because they have more competition in London.

So basically they're going to be better off than they are now.... but still behind sunderland and newcastle. Those footballing powerhouses from the north east.

West hams stadium is gonna be about 50'000 right?
This will put them level with Sunderland and Newcastle roughly.
Except - They're getting a worse deal because they don't own the stadium.
They're going to sell less tickets because they have more competition in London.
There's a few more people live in London though. There's no competition for Wick Academy, but they don't get 80,000 each home game.

We've got threads about Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool, West Ham amongst others. Nothing wrong with those or this.

Just ignore thread if you don't like it. I didn't like reading there was a thread mentioning baby rape, so I ignored it. It's very effective.
Cheers AY, I'm trying to do the decent thing and not 'clutter up' the stadium thread, and still I get a complaint!
Interesting BTW, what's got the most posts since I started this thread, the 'stadium one' or this? I think it's this. The OS is a big talking point ATM, when we get some news (not groundless speculation re the NFL), then of course as Spurs fans we'll rightly concentrate on our stadium. Even my most ardent of haters can't claim I haven't posted plenty about our stadium.

Well they could, but they'd be wrong as usual :thumbup:

There's a few more people live in London though. There's no competition for Wick Academy, but they don't get 80,000 each home game.
Because they're not in the premier league.

If your logic is correct, why don't west ham sell out their current, much smaller ground? At least without selling tickets for a pound. Theres more people in london but those people are far more likely to support Chelsea Woolwich and tottenham. Also, west ham are right out in east london so are unlikely to attract fans from west london.

Newcastle obviously isn't as big as london but from that part of the country theres really only 3 main teams, and one of them is in the championship.

Cheers AY, I'm trying to do the decent thing and not 'clutter up' the stadium thread, and still I get a complaint!
Interesting BTW, what's got the most posts since I started this thread, the 'stadium one' or this? I think it's this. The OS is a big talking point ATM, when we get some news (not groundless speculation re the NFL), then of course as Spurs fans we'll rightly concentrate on our stadium. Even my most ardent of haters can't claim I haven't posted plenty about our stadium.

Well they could, but they'd be wrong as usual :thumbup:
AND MOST OF THEM ARE YOU

Lunatic.

Because they're not in the premier league.

If your logic is correct, why don't west ham sell out their current, much smaller ground? At least without selling tickets for a pound. Theres more people in london but those people are far more likely to support Chelsea Woolwich and tottenham. Also, west ham are right out in east london so are unlikely to attract fans from west london.

Newcastle obviously isn't as big as london but from that part of the country theres really only 3 main teams, and one of them is in the championship.
West Ham will get plenty of tourist fans to the new place. Plenty of people that wouldn't go anywhere near the junkie-ridden sty they presently play in.

West Ham will get plenty of tourist fans to the new place. Plenty of people that wouldn't go anywhere near the junkie-ridden sty they presently play in.
thats true, but lets not forget:
1) they have to give about 2 million quid's worth of free tickets to newham council every year
2)They currently take out adverts in the press virtually every week to let people know there are tickets still available, for pretty much every game that doesnt involve the current top 4, us and the dippers.

I think they have to make hay whilst the sun is shining. they have to have 2 or 3 good seasons on the bounce and in the premiership after they move in. a standard fat sam"lets lump it long and avoid relegation in the last month of the season" year aint gonna be enough. and thats assuming they avoid it, never a sure thing where spam are concerned.(In an ideal world, their first year in it would be a relegation year. teams tend to struggle first year in a new stadium anyway, and it is west ham)

Hell, it doesnt even look like the olympic stadium anymore....theyve had to move the floodlights inside so they are hanging off the roof, rather than having them outside and sitting on it.

thats true, but lets not forget:
1) they have to give about 2 million quid's worth of free tickets to newham council every year
2)They currently take out adverts in the press virtually every week to let people know there are tickets still available, for pretty much every game that doesnt involve the current top 4, us and the dippers.

I think they have to make hay whilst the sun is shining. they have to have 2 or 3 good seasons on the bounce and in the premiership after they move in. a standard fat sam"lets lump it long and avoid relegation in the last month of the season" year aint gonna be enough. and thats assuming they avoid it, never a sure thing where spam are concerned.(In an ideal world, their first year in it would be a relegation year. teams tend to struggle first year in a new stadium anyway, and it is west ham)

Hell, it doesnt even look like the olympic stadium anymore....theyve had to move the floodlights inside so they are hanging off the roof, rather than having them outside and sitting on it.
1) Aye, that won't help them I suppose.
2) So they sell out at least 6 of 19. I'd say it's probably 10 of 19 and there won't be tens of thousands of tickets for the rest.

I don't think for a second that this elevated them up to top four contenders, but playing at a nice stadium in front of 45-50k, is certainly an upgrade on what they have now.

2) So they sell out at least 6 of 19. I'd say it's probably 10 of 19 and there won't be tens of thousands of tickets for the rest.
yup. but if they are 3 thousand shy for at home v palace now, that may well translate to 10k shy in the new place. and those tickets may well be in the "seen by the cameras expensive seating" areas

I don't think for a second that this elevated them up to top four contenders, but playing at a nice stadium in front of 45-50k, is certainly an upgrade on what they have now.

on the surface, certainly.
But i think its more involved than that.
There are other things we havn't taken into account. what about their policing costs? will they double? treble? Clubs are responsible for the costs of policing in the stadium and the surrounding area. which in this case includes a huge flagship shopping mall.(who i cant imagine are going to be agreeable to pay for extra policing on matchdays)

will the presence of the mall affect their matchday & catering income?

For me, I would rather pay 8 quid for a burger from 5 guys than 5 quid for the shite that gets served up in a football ground
what if their errr rather narky support trashes the park, i assume in that event spam are liable for damages (same with Westfield, I guess)

there are just to many other variables , IMO, for a club that gets primacy of use just 25 times in the year

Well said again AY. Them at Stratford is a completely different deal to them at UP where they were never a threat to us all.

Right first post on here, according to this

http://www.claretandhugh.info/charlton-trust-seeks-os-rental-review/

“The most important advantage though is that West Ham are allowed to keep 100% of “corporate” match-day revenue. ”.

Maybe not ? ( http://www.spectator.co.uk/features...pic-legacy-paying-to-build-the-stadium-twice/ ) ".... Newham council will receive a 35 per cent share in the lease, giving it a share in income from the stadium. It will also have the right to hold ten mass community events for Newham residents every year. The council couldn’t tell me exactly what these events,would be, except that it might include a rather grand sports day for Newham schools. The council will also bag 100,000 free tickets a year to West Ham matches......"

The Newham involvement is often forgotten. It was a JOINT bid between the council & West Ham. So when an article appears in the Mail that says West Ham keep 100% revenue. Is that forgetting the % Newham pocket as co bidders ? looks that way as Newham are not mentioned even though it's a joint venture between the two parties for which Newham paid £40 million to be part of the feast.

Interesting post from Claret & Hugh, but I am not assured they dug deep enough to make a cohesive argument which won't be easily countered. Shame as its commendable that someone is continuing to fight this matter.

Sadly, Whichever way we all add up the figures the Spammers won't be worse off and that's the horrible truth. That scummy shit infested Club deserve no help whatsoever. They should have gone bust under that fella who looked like Dr Evil and survived, should have been relegated over Tevez & should have been docked points for making Mark Fucking Nobel a premiership player !

Last edited:
Aye, but there's no massive reason for a City style takeover unless there's some back door cheap-arse way of someone to buy the ground.
Have to disagree there AY. City got taken over without the new owners looking to buy the ground. West Ham will have so much going for them in Stratford that new owners won't need to buy the ground.

The money these days is in TV primarily, IF you're in the Prem. Then there's 100% hospitality money, and all sorts of commercial deals that being so close to the richest part of London, the City, may appear in the future.

Back
Top Bottom