The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Support Spurs and relax! Nah , never going to happen . You just know this is going to be an uncomfortable ride

100%.

All manner of permutations now at play, in reality and in our heads.

The optimists will believe top 4 will happen, the pessimists will fear an absence of points between now and the end of the season, and the pragmatists will draw comfort from our inconsistency. None are wrong.

The madness of all this, and for all our reasonable pain is that we sit 4th. Not sure how but we do.

I think if we are 3 points ahead by Sunday evening we will finish there, but it's just such a toss-up of light fluffy stuff in high winds.

Depends if Ronaldo turns up

Not really.

It depends if United get enough of the ball to feed him.

They have no choice but to play on the break.

My fear is that United can be world class for long enough to beat any team whatsoever.

If they beat Liverpool and Woolwich then it's a long way back for us, regardless of what anyone thinks.

Best outcome for is 1 point 2 (the weekend) from both games.

Not really.

It depends if United get enough of the ball to feed him.

They have no choice but to play on the break.

My fear is that United can be world class for long enough to beat any team whatsoever.

If they beat Liverpool and Woolwich then it's a long way back for us, regardless of what anyone thinks.

Best outcome for is 1 point 2 (the weekend) from both games.
Cant see them laying a glove on Liverpool
As for Woolwich they are a shambles at the back and players switch off (see Southampton goal). They also have Zhaka who is a walking red card

I think if we beat Brentford we will get top 4. It’s just that the performance against Brighton was so bad it makes you wonder if we will even win another game.

Just when you think you can trust these players to do their work properly they decide to down tools.

Conte was not on the training pitches last week, result, his energy was missing and the players fully reverted to Nuno/Mourinho levels.

Conte will be there going forward, pushing his will into the players.

Conte was not on the training pitches last week, result, his energy was missing and the players fully reverted to Nuno/Mourinho levels.

Conte will be there going forward, pushing his will into the players.
The penny will have hopefully dropped with them too. Don’t waste a second of any game…. Start at a 100% tempo and keep pushing whether it’s 0-15 or 80-95

The fixtures fall in our favour, Liverpool v United, Chelsea v Woolwich then Woolwich v United. It’s highly likely both of them get a point each from their next two games.

But we shouldn’t need to rely on that, Brentford away is a very winnable game if our soft centred lot get themselves together
I really should of stuck to what I said about us only chatting football. i Am going to give that a shot, life is to short for what we just did in the UK politics thread

The penny will have hopefully dropped with them too. Don’t waste a second of any game…. Start at a 100% tempo and keep pushing whether it’s 0-15 or 80-95

We‘ve had the first half legginess for 4 seasons now…

Thought we were getting past in 2-6 games ago, we looked fluid and with good energy from the get go, most of those games.

Next season we need to see the back of it 100% as too many points get lost with 5-10% drop in motion, 15mins here or there as you say.

I think if we beat Brentford we will get top 4. It’s just that the performance against Brighton was so bad it makes you wonder if we will even win another game.

Just when you think you can trust these players to do their work properly they decide to down tools.
The performance wasn’t good but i have seen worse. It’s important to note that Brighton did play very well and got their tactics spot on. Not excising it because you have to find a way in games like that, but I am sure we will win more games yet. Having said that, I think we may only get a draw against Brentford.

Cant see them laying a glove on Liverpool
As for Woolwich they are a shambles at the back and players switch off (see Southampton goal). They also have Zhaka who is a walking red card
I know people are scared...but fuck me calm down ain't no way in hell they are beating Liverpool... just no. They will most likely draw with United both of which suits us. The thing you should be scared of is Ivan Toney preying on Romero and Royale with cheese in the air, picked out by Eriksen.

Last edited:
I know people are scared...but fuck me calm down ain't no way in hell they are beating Liverpool... just no. They will most likely draw with United both of which suits us. The thing you should be scared of is Ivan Toney preying on Romero and Royale in the with cheese in the air, picked out by Eriksen.

See the irony of your post?

You pronounce with confidence that United won't lay a glove on a Liverpool team despite having some real talent. (By the way what's happened recently to Sancho, not that I really care?) and yet here you are worrying about Toney.

I hope you are right on the former and unduly concerned on the latter.

Last edited:
Let's face it..... The NLD is for 4th place.

Whowever wins it gets top 4......you could argue a draw would be OK for us but not Woolwich.

A loss, well........ A loss although unthinkable, is by no means impossible.

I've lost count of how many times we've come up against them when they're seemingly down and out and in terrible form.... Only for them to turn into peak Barcelona.

We need to channel the same level of performance as 1991 when, against most of the odds, we blew them away in the first 30 minutes.

Let's face it..... The NLD is for 4th place.

Whowever wins it gets top 4......you could argue a draw would be OK for us but not Woolwich.

A loss, well........ A loss although unthinkable, is by no means impossible.

I've lost count of how many times we've come up against them when they're seemingly down and out and in terrible form.... Only for them to turn into peak Barcelona.

We need to channel the same level of performance as 1991 when, against most of the odds, we blew them away in the first 30 minutes.

Got to say I disagree somewhat.

United are the curve ball number 1. If they get no more than 1 point from their next 2 games I would discount them. Tonight is massive in that regard.

On us and Woolwich, by Sunday the NLD could be irrelevant. I hope so at least.

It's this week where it reveals itself.

Back
Top Bottom