The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unfortunately Everton are shit so Woolwich will win.
I'm deluding myself with the notion that Everton can't continue to be shit forever, they must be due a mini-revival at some point.

And that point is Monday evening.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I'm deluding myself with notion that Everton can't continue to be shit forever, they must be due a mini-revival at some point.

And that point is Monday evening.

giphy.gif

They'll be sore after getting battered by Liverpool..... Could be rife for a defiant statement performance.

There was a small spell in the Everton game where they played ok, made it 2-1 and could have got back into it. Liverpool just way too good for them in the end. But Woolwich aren't anywhere near Liverpool.

Everton could certainly get a result against the goons, who have themselves laboured against quite average sides.

And with Conte, we could get 4th. We'd need some luck with injuries but the league this year is 3 good sides at the top, with a fucking mess of teams underneath them.

As if we needed it, but this is another reason for us to move heaven and earth to sign players in January. Give Conte some good additions and he will get us Champions League right off the bat, which in turn means we can sign more good players in the summer and really give things a go.

It will be interesting to see if anything big happens in January. Generally most clubs try to avoid big signings in this window, however I can imagine Conte wanting to try to make some.

Looking pessimistically at our fixtures, I believe another 35 - 38 points is realistic on top of the 22 we have. That would mean a total of 57-60 points at the end of the season.
The average points tally for fourth over the last 10 years is 71 - that's a lot more points to find this season.
I can't see it myself.

Looking pessimistically at our fixtures, I believe another 35 - 38 points is realistic on top of the 22 we have. That would mean a total of 57-60 points at the end of the season.
The average points tally for fourth over the last 10 years is 71 - that's a lot more points to find this season.
I can't see it myself.

I agree.

The performances simply don't point towards it.

I can't see it myself.

Whilst I’m cautious about getting top 4, I think United will get it. Those points are incredibly negative, we are currently averaging 1.69 points a game, 35 points would be 1.4 points a game. So we will look worse under Conte than under our start under Nuno?

Noone ever seems to remember it but (with Nuno) up until the first international break we were 100%, played 3, won 3 without conceding a goal.
I agree the performances weren't there, and the meltdown in the next few games was pretty epic but the facts are that position wise we were not left in a bad place.

I can't see it myself.
That is a very negative way to look at it. Looking at the fixtures left, giving us a loss to all the Chelsea, Liverpool and City game left. Drawing against Woolwich, West Ham, United and Leicester then throwing in a few random losses and draws to teams we should beat still puts us at 45-50 points out of the remaining games.

That is right around 68-70. I think we finish higher than that because we will take points off those top teams I’m counting as losses right now.

That is a very negative way to look at it. Looking at the fixtures left, giving us a loss to all the Chelsea, Liverpool and City game left. Drawing against Woolwich, West Ham, United and Leicester then throwing in a few random losses and draws to teams we should beat still puts us at 45-50 points out of the remaining games.

That is right around 68-70. I think we finish higher than that because we will take points off those top teams I’m counting as losses right now.

We'll beat West Ham and Scum at home

Need to focus on continuing to improve performances and picking up results.

I believe with this manager we will finish above West Ham and Woolwich but we can’t control what other sides do. This Utd squad are capable of stringing a series of wins back to back if they get their shit together.

We need to focus on our club

I think the fanbase is in a good position mentally over this one - no expectations of 4th but we can look at the table and realise we have at least some chance of snatching that fourth spot. I can't remember a season recently where the top 3 are so far above the rest that it feels like there's a handful of clubs (including us) having a drunken bumfight for one solitary CL place.

Still, it's not make or break: most know that Conte needs some time to unfuck us and that 4th would be a huge cherry on top rather than an expectation.

Remember how depressing the final couple of weeks of Nuno was? It's a nice turnaround.

We're back! After last night we are 1 point behind the Goons and 2 behind Spam with a game in hand. We'll smash Norwich and be 4th at 16:00 on Sunday. Then to chase down 3rd. Nothing can stop us now!

Silent Film Vintage GIF

16:00 Sunday...

While we are up near 4th at the moment , in reality we are not that good yet. We did ok against a Brentford team who at times just seemed content to knock the ball around. If Kane starts to fire we can be up there. The hope is that when he gets a couple he will get a bucketload. Really need to see it on Sunday.

I think the fanbase is in a good position mentally over this one - no expectations of 4th but we can look at the table and realise we have at least some chance of snatching that fourth spot. I can't remember a season recently where the top 3 are so far above the rest that it feels like there's a handful of clubs (including us) having a drunken bumfight for one solitary CL place.

Still, it's not make or break: most know that Conte needs some time to unfuck us and that 4th would be a huge cherry on top rather than an expectation.

Remember how depressing the final couple of weeks of Nuno was? It's a nice turnaround.

Back
Top Bottom