The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think some of our fans are not managing expectations very well at this point. There's almost an assumption that they slip up rather than us, we'll win the NLD when needed, and we'll overhaul them.

TBH if we're thinking they might slip up against an Everton or Leeds battling for their lives, same could happen to us against a Burnley. It's looking like we need to get something from Liverpool now. And if we do go into the derby in the position as the team who simply has to win that is added pressure in itself.

I think both teams are entirely capable of shitting the bed so we'll see, but there's a not too unlikely scenario where at the end of the weekend we're 5 points behind them. Our chances look very precarious at that point.

Taking care of our own business, 10 points minimum from the last 4 games I'd say is needed.

Just for perspective, if we won our last 4 then this season would be the 5th best in our top flight history:

PWDLFAGDPtsPosPPGPts
11960-6142314711555606612.3187.8
22016-173826848626608622.2686
32017-183823877436387732.0377
41950-5142251078244386012.0276.9
52021-223823411731.9273

Just for perspective, if we won our last 4 then this season would be the 5th best in our top flight history:

PWDLFAGDPtsPosPPGPts
11960-6142314711555606612.3187.8
22016-173826848626608622.2686
32017-183823877436387732.0377
41950-5142251078244386012.0276.9
52021-223823411731.9273

Fuck Leicester. 86 points and a +60 GD with nothing to show for it. That really is madness

Think some of our fans are not managing expectations very well at this point. There's almost an assumption that they slip up rather than us, we'll win the NLD when needed, and we'll overhaul them.

TBH if we're thinking they might slip up against an Everton or Leeds battling for their lives, same could happen to us against a Burnley. It's looking like we need to get something from Liverpool now. And if we do go into the derby in the position as the team who simply has to win that is added pressure in itself.

I think both teams are entirely capable of shitting the bed so we'll see, but there's a not too unlikely scenario where at the end of the weekend we're 5 points behind them. Our chances look very precarious at that point.

Taking care of our own business, 10 points minimum from the last 4 games I'd say is needed.
Like 80% of the posts in this thread are negative and say race is over. Also, I have seen no posts saying the NLD is a guaranteed 3 points but the only realistic way we get 4th (unless we somehow win at liverpool) is if we win that game, which is why people are counting it as 3 points in their hypothetical scenarios.

There’s no point in throwing together a 4th place finish scenario in which we draw against Woolwich, so why bother? It doesn’t mean people are stupid enough to think it’s a guaranteed 3 points.

Also to your last point, getting 10 points won’t matter if the draw is against Woolwich. Wed still need Woolwich to drop points. And if we get 9, but lose at Liverpool (win Woolwich), we still need Woolwich to drop points. So there’s no realistic difference between 9 or 10 points unless we somehow blow our GD advantage.

I can think of far far more clubs in worse situations than us, cursed might be taking it a bit too far.

Name me a club that hypes their supporters up so much, yet fail to deliver and fail at the last hurdle like us? You will be pushed to find a club that has so many situations go against us. There’s a reason why the phrase “Spursy” is associated with us. It’s not called Sunderlandy or Newcastly is it? I just feel we never catch a break as a club. I feel we are cursed.

Name me a club that hypes their supporters up so much, yet fail to deliver and fail at the last hurdle like us? You will be pushed to find a club that has so many situations go against us. There’s a reason why the phrase “Spursy” is associated with us. It’s not called Sunderlandy or Newcastly is it? I just feel we never catch a break as a club. I feel we are cursed.

I can name clubs who have gone bust and have been ran into the ground, big clubs who have been relegated to lower divisions, big clubs who are unable to hang onto good players and haven't been able to attract top players and managers, clubs who haven't won a thing in their lifetime and clubs who won't ever play a game of CL football in their life, none of this has ever happened to us.

The Spursy thing is just pie in the sky bollocks, Spursy started to become apparent when we missed out on CL football due to lasagne-gate and when Chelsea won the comp ensuring we didn't qualify but we've qualified for the comp 4 times since then so the goalposts have been moved to now not winning a trophy and seemingly not winning games we ought to win purely to keep up this stupid narrative. (Ignoring the fact that the same logic can be applied to 95% of every single professional football club)

Spurs fans that perpetuate this myth about our club being cursed are a part of the problem, it's now at the point where become a self-fulfilling prophecy and they expect bad shit to happen to our club and manifest the negativity, perhaps leave all that witchcraft nonsense down to rival fans who want to banter and wish ill on our club, we don't need it from our fans.

Last edited:

We're cursed with sh!t players. That and a dodgy recruitment team. Thats the only curse we have.

I can name clubs who have gone bust and have been ran into the ground, big clubs who have been relegated to lower divisions, big clubs who are unable to hang onto good players and haven't been able to attract top players and managers, clubs who haven't won a thing in their lifetime and clubs who won't ever play a game of CL football in their life, none of this has ever happened to us.

The Spursy thing is just pie in the sky bollocks, Spursy started to become apparent when we missed out on CL football due to lasagne-gate and when Chelsea won the comp ensuring we didn't qualify but we've qualified for the comp 4 times since then so the goalposts have been moved to now not winning a trophy and seemingly not winning games we ought to win purely to keep up this stupid narrative. (Ignoring the fact that the same logic can be applied to 95% of every single professional football club)

Spurs fans that perpetuate this myth about our club being cursed are a part of the problem, it's now at the point where become a self-fulfilling prophecy and they expect bad shit to happen to our club and manifest the negativity, perhaps leave all that witchcraft nonsense down to rival fans who want to banter and wish ill on our club, we don't need it from our fans.

We don’t help ourselves as a football club I’m sorry. Prime example already recently. In the driving seat for 4th after working so hard to capitalise on Arsenals poor form, then comes the Brighton loss at home and now Woolwich in the driving seat. As Spursy as they come mate sorry. Champions league final, handball and Spursy it up in the 1st minute ffs 🤦‍♂️. Lasagna gate. 3rd in a 2 horse race. 10 point mind the gap Woolwich scenario. Woolwich winning the league at the lane. Nah mate, sorry this is a curse and Spursy as they come. Can count loads of other scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom