The return of 'The hooligan'?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disenfranchised kids with nothing else going on in life and wanting to belong to something larger than themselves.

None of this is new, same reason people became hooligans back in the 70's-80's

Just to expand on my light-hearted previous comment.....

Match ticket: £40+
Coke: £50
Beers: £10 - £30+
Transport: £5-10 +++ (depending on where you live.... Triple that or more for an away game.)
Every one no doubt with a top end smart-phone on contract in their pocket

Doesn't add up to a deprived working class youth to me.... More like a bunch of privileged brats that really ought to be able to fund something more constructive to do with their energy.

Just to expand on my light-hearted previous comment.....

Match ticket: £40+
Coke: £50
Beers: £10 - £30+
Transport: £5-10 +++ (depending on where you live.... Triple that or more for an away game.)
Every one no doubt with a top end smart-phone on contract in their pocket

Doesn't add up to a deprived working class youth to me.... More like a bunch of privileged brats that really ought to be able to fund something more constructive to do with their energy.
I'm getting on a bit. Wondered why on earth anyone would spend £50 on Coca Cola.

The trouble with this 'hooligan' thing is that each set of away fans thinks they are obliged to 'out hooligan' the last gang - and you end up with a downward spiral of violence and criminality.

Disenfranchised kids with nothing else going on in life and wanting to belong to something larger than themselves.

None of this is new, same reason people became hooligans back in the 70's-80's
You are spot on.

There’s an appetite for it again. It seems to be around the age of 25-33 mark. Not so much the higher premier league but certainly championship down. Where season tickets are of a price they can afford.
You can see it on Twitter . Facebook and other social media sites is how they organise it now.
I’m near gillingham, so we have about 10 lads that come in my local, they play pool together and drink during the week. Friday night pissed and coked up , then Saturday in the pub before, then they all head up on the train to gillingham , all stone island up ( with the knocked off gear I sold em from Turkey )😂.. then they are back in town or upto London for a Saturday night out.
They want to be part of something, belong . The fashion of a group of lads going to football on a Saturday again is back in a big way now.

I’m going to zante in the summer with the fuckers. I’ll Probably come home in a coffin ⚰️

Too many uppers not enough downers, if you ask me

The smoking ban has a LOT to answer for imo.

close-up-stoned-man-taking-hit-from-marijuana-cigarette-inhaling-video-id832-114

The new hooligan? More like the too loud supporter ejected from the ground.

Hooliganism is dead as disco. 50p at the turnstiles on the day, open terraces, mass unemployment and unrest, football clubs still attached to their communities. All these elements that made hooliganism possible are gone.

I wasn’t there for the real peak in the 70’s or the early 80’s and everything after was a dying scene. But just reading about mobs and away days I know these times won’t be back again. This is the Magic Mountain of British football

10 palace twats storming 4 spurs drinking outside a pub is hardly a revival

The new hooligan? More like the too loud supporter ejected from the ground.

Hooliganism is dead as disco. 50p at the turnstiles on the day, open terraces, mass unemployment and unrest, football clubs still attached to their communities. All these elements that made hooliganism possible are gone.

I wasn’t there for the real peak in the 70’s or the early 80’s and everything after was a dying scene. But just reading about mobs and away days I know these times won’t be back again. This is the Magic Mountain of British football

10 palace twats storming 4 spurs drinking outside a pub is hardly a revival

Yep. Being gobby and waving your arms about in a threatening manner is pretty much the extent of modern hooliganism.

Yep. Being gobby and waving your arms about in a threatening manner is pretty much the extent of modern hooliganism.
Everything is always policed to the max these days, and I come from a policed country I know. Reading on the 70s away days up north were like field days in street combat.

Old Boro and Sunderland away, Leeds, Maine Road. You’d be pelted coming in with locals pouring out from every corner pub to give flash cockneys some beating.
My dad was at the 8-2 loss away at derby and his description is not too dissimilar to riots I’ve seen in the West Bank.

Away days now is at most a wanker being ard behind two police lines

Last edited:
Everything is always policed to the max these days, and I come from a policed country I know. Reading on the 70s away days up north were like field days in street combat.

Old Boro and Sunderland away, Leeds, Maine Road. You’d be pelted coming in with locals pouring out from every corner pub to give flash cockneys some beating.
My dad was at the 8-2 loss away at derby and his description is not too dissimilar to riots I’ve seen in the West Bank.

Away days now is at most a wanker being ard behind two police lines

Some games you had to fight your way to the ground and then fight your way back to the station afterwards. And the tube network was like being on the set of The Warriors on most Saturdays.

Some games you had to fight your way to the ground and then fight your way back to the station afterwards. And the tube network was like being on the set of The Warriors on most Saturdays.
Especially at London derbies

Chavs used to hate the long walk (or in their case run) back to seven sisters

Back
Top Bottom