The Y Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From that blog

But now the club has officially asked its supporters to stop using the "Y-word". And I just don't agree. They quoted some research they did, surveying fans' views. I straight away burrowed down into the data of what the Jewish respondents said. And it turns out that 36% of them ‘regularly’ chant, 30% ‘occasionally’ chant and 34% choose not to chant the term. That's 66% who are in favour of the Yid Army.

What of the 34%? Well, only 35% of those, i.e. 12% of the total, feel offended by the chants. So, you have 88% of Jews who are totally ok with the chants, and 66% actively enjoy them.
This needs to be publicised more. It was clear the survey was biased from the get go. The questions loaded and the aim to sanitise Spurs. What the club don’t realise is that it is the history of Spurs which makes it. Wipe everything clean and you’re left with a vacuous shell. That the history of this term is based on fighting racism is incidental, yid means spurs supporter and that’s it. But we should have some pride that it originated a long long time ago in fighting racism. Anyone know when this happened? Mosley and the facist battles of the 1920s might be the start? In which case it’s 100 years old. This millennium/century yid means Spurs supporter. The meaning of the word has evolved.

This needs to be publicised more. It was clear the survey was biased from the get go. The questions loaded and the aim to sanitise Spurs. What the club don’t realise is that it is the history of Spurs which makes it. Wipe everything clean and you’re left with a vacuous shell. That the history of this term is based on fighting racism is incidental, yid means spurs supporter and that’s it. But we should have some pride that it originated a long long time ago in fighting racism. Anyone know when this happened? Mosley and the facist battles of the 1920s might be the start? In which case it’s 100 years old. This millennium/century yid means Spurs supporter. The meaning of the word has evolved.
As I said a few pages back, I stopped filling in the survey when (quickly) became apparent its only goal was to try to force guilt on the individual and make them want to stop.
It was not, in any way shape or form open minded or trying to get people's opinion. It was to force an agenda with only 1 single point of view.

Anyone know when this happened? Mosley and the facist battles of the 1920s might be the start? In which case it’s 100 years old.
I had a book (think I have given it away since) where an old Jewish Spurs fella said they were on the way to a match and they went to Brick Lane to fight Mosely and the BUF.

Last edited:
For me, with my families origins in the east end, this is a very emotive subject. My grandfather was born into a world of facism, and the battles in the streets of east London against facism and racism were real.

You can’t erase that from history and no Jew or gentile with any humanity would want to wipe clean the history of the holocaust. History can not be sanitised.

That said, I firmly believe that this century yid was quietly evolving and many many sub-40 year old fans had no idea of this history, until you know who made it an issue. His way of dealing with the cognitive dissonance of being a Jew and supporting a club whose fans mimic the noise of the gas chamber.

An article in the Times this morning under the headline "Fans ignore Y-word ban" stated that "There was little sign that Tottenham Hotspur's plea to their supporters to stop engaging in antisemitic chants had been heard..."

So now our fans are antisemitic. Great journalism.

An article in the Times this morning under the headline "Fans ignore Y-word ban" stated that "There was little sign that Tottenham Hotspur's plea to their supporters to stop engaging in antisemitic chants had been heard..."

So now our fans are antisemitic. Great journalism.
Just shows how little the people writing about this actually know. All this talk about misinformation recently eh? We are at the centre of it now.
I am amazed that the the so called enlightened folk ,who seem to be most opposed to this, know the least about it.
Lest we forget that we had a poster on here report that Chelsea fans were doing nazi salutes in the stadium a few weeks back. I had to listen to Chelsea fans screaming vile antisemtic abuse on the tube a few weeks back who also threatened to hang me by my scarf. Every time West Ham play us it is the same. Any one remember that youth game with 1882 at stamford bridge a few years back? Kids spent the whole time doing big nose gestures.

Nah fuck the media, I will not yield. They have turned a blind eye to this for years. Now their justification for other fans doing it because of us! How disgusting! They have no idea!

"Sorry, I made gas chamber noises, I can't help it because they call themselves yids."

Even the Athletic podcast had two people on it who had no clue about anything - the usual type who spends hours looking at freeze frames and "analysing" it. All they could say was "It's 2021"

Call me conspiracy theorist, but I feel like most of the news organisations writing about it know the context, but choose to omit it. Maybe to avoid the "controversy" of looking like you're excusing racism, after all THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR RACISM. Maybe they cynically believe that a story without this context will sell better.

It's now become 'safer' to assume racism than appear to be condoning it by omission.

I think that alone explains much of the shit going down in our culture.

ahem... excuse me while I get on my soapboax.

I hope this experience is instructive for all of us. Look at how the media manipulates, in both blatant and subtle ways, how the public are all too eager to accept the lies. Even some of the victims of this smear campaign are made to doubt themselves.

This kind of shit is very common, let's hope we can spot it when it isn't about us or the things we care about. Examine what people are choosing to not say, or empahsise, and our own views too.

I know it doesn't need to be said for most of you, but I needed to get it off my chest, because it isn't the first time I've seen this kind of debate.

West Ham fan according to the bio.

"No need to chant it anymore.... blah blah 70s & 80s....."

YET:

Over the last 12 months alone. All Spurs related:

38 incidents listed in total in recent years.....

How many more didn't get reported or make the news?

Last edited:
This without doubt is going to get far worse before at some point the inevitable happens and that is one way or another there will be enforcement and just like the N word the Y word will become a total no no

Now before anyone puffs their chests out not that is desired or indeed welcomed but slowly but surely the wider Jewish populations view is going to have to be the only one that matters and not just Fred who claims to be Jewish and sits in front of Bill who is defiant and at 6foot 3 ins tall knows Fred is ok with him using the word.

In that article quoted earlier this bit will become a focus

“But when I speak to Jewish friends who obstinately support other teams – mostly Woolwich, some West Ham – they tell me they genuinely feel uncomfortable about the chants. And that makes me feel uncomfortable about its wider impact, however it feels to us in the stadium at Tottenham”

As I say it’s inevitable for a number of reasons but the fact that the club itself has come out in the way it has is the game changer.

In effect you now have the view that use of the word is not appropriate the police , the club and ultimately the football authorities will crank up the pressure .

Now I know that some will become all Billy Big Bollo*** and will probably say they can’t stop everyone and yep that’s exactly what they will do.

Every seat, Every area is covered by CCTV . I wouldn’t expect that they in real time would eject but it’s possible to identify, to withdraw season tickets, etc but more likely would be the enforced playing behind closed doors .

Now I know that some point to recent the Chelsea game and the accusation made that there were incidents but I go back to the comment I made that if the claim was genuine then it was an easy one to report . If that didn’t happen that individual will carry on with his pathetic behaviour .

The problem is that far too many call out other clubs supporters who object to the use of the word but what’s obvious is that there will be far more attention and those that object simply aren’t going to go away.

Just shows how little the people writing about this actually know. All this talk about misinformation recently eh? We are at the centre of it now.
I am amazed that the the so called enlightened folk ,who seem to be most opposed to this, know the least about it.
Lest we forget that we had a poster on here report that Chelsea fans were doing nazi salutes in the stadium a few weeks back. I had to listen to Chelsea fans screaming vile antisemtic abuse on the tube a few weeks back who also threatened to hang me by my scarf. Every time West Ham play us it is the same. Any one remember that youth game with 1882 at stamford bridge a few years back? Kids spent the whole time doing big nose gestures.

Nah fuck the media, I will not yield. They have turned a blind eye to this for years. Now their justification for other fans doing it because of us! How disgusting! They have no idea!

"Sorry, I made gas chamber noises, I can't help it because they call themselves yids."

Even the Athletic podcast had two people on it who had no clue about anything - the usual type who spends hours looking at freeze frames and "analysing" it. All they could say was "It's 2021"

Now the agenda has been set (and we are the 'bad guys') certain Chelsea or West Ham fans will nazi salute and gas noise at every opportunity in order to force the issue.

And people were actually saying woke wasn't a real thing until recently.

Back
Top Bottom