THFC....where are we?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need Baldini out. How can you call Potch a manager with a DOF aound? Isn't he just a Head Coach... Think back to how good VDV was and at the price we paid. That is the sort of player we need to be investing in again, recognised talent not just potential talent.

Sure they won't all come at a bargain price like VDV did but if we're paying 30m for potential we've got to be prepared to big bucks for recognised players!

I'm all for potential talent as you can get great players for signing youth (Bale as an obvious example) but these potential stars need high profile players around to learn from!

Atmosphere in the stadium turned real nasty after the first abomination of a goal went in, doesn't exactly help but who can blame 1 win in 7 games and only 2 wins at home this season.

If that first half was ok then even AVB's drab 1-0's must have been ok. We had 1 shot on target and barely created anything. We were playing average against a crap side. Second half we came out and played just as crap as the crap side and gifted them 2 goals from errors/switching off and continued to offer not threat going forward.

That's the issue, first half Newcastle were shocking, all they did was park two buses and hold on as hard as possible, our player looked like they were doing training it was so easy in the middle of the park, we never looked threatened by them. So second half expected the same and Newcastle caught us with our pants downs, it's these type of game that we get exposed mentalily, players expect an easy ride and get done over.

Atmosphere in the stadium turned real nasty after the first abomination of a goal went in, doesn't exactly help but who can blame 1 win in 7 games and only 2 wins at home this season.
Get us playing some sort of exciting football with 2 up top and the crowd might not be sore bored. After all we are only human and sideways passing and no movement makes us restless!

For me there's a major lack of leadership in our 1st 11. Lloris is in goal and can't impact the game as much as we'd like- but there's no one in the middle of the park who believes and who will work his socks off. We know we have a young side, but a little bit of experience would be nice in January. was disappointed to see Eriksen pulling out of headers-it's not his game at all- but it needs to be. Hes not alone there either- I know He's ideally a floating playmaker that doesn't do any of the grafting, but That doesn't suit what Poch wants.

For me there's a major lack of leadership in our 1st 11. Lloris is in goal and can't impact the game as much as we'd like- but there's no one in the middle of the park who believes and who will work his socks off. We know we have a young side, but a little bit of experience would be nice in January. was disappointed to see Eriksen pulling out of headers-it's not his game at all- but it needs to be. Hes not alone there either- I know He's ideally a floating playmaker that doesn't do any of the grafting, but That doesn't suit what Poch wants.
Ive never quite got the idea of a keeper being captain. would rather it be an outfield player. Also what chance has loris got of trying to rally the team when he is concentrating so hard on when the next fuck up on defence will come

Against Newcastle yes.
Would like to see it against other teams too. Kane and Soldado aren't really suited for the one striker role, and Ade isn't doing it for us. It just seems too rigid - if we haven't got the players to be effective in a 4-2-3-1 - try to work with what we've got in a different set up.

Would like to see it against other teams too. Kane and Soldado aren't really suited for the one striker role, and Ade isn't doing it for us. It just seems to rigid - if we haven't got the players to be effective in a 4-2-3-1 - try to work with what we've got in a different set up.

I don't want us going Sherwood on teams like Chelsea but at home against teams we should be winning against I see no reason for not employing two strikers.

We need Baldini out. How can you call Potch a manager with a DOF aound? Isn't he just a Head Coach... Think back to how good VDV was and at the price we paid. That is the sort of player we need to be investing in again, recognised talent not just potential talent.

Sure they won't all come at a bargain price like VDV did but if we're paying 30m for potential we've got to be prepared to big bucks for recognised players!

I'm all for potential talent as you can get great players for signing youth (Bale as an obvious example) but these potential stars need high profile players around to learn from!

I agree with the recognised talent bit. We have enough 'potential', we need some experience and talent to guide the young players.

This janurary I want to see two players:

I would like to see someone like vdv. An experienced and talented attacking midfielder to guide eriksen and lamela. Not sure who is available, I would like to hear some suggestions.

I also think we need some scott parker grit and determination in midfield. I would love to buy milner. Such a professional nothing glamorous but gets the job done.

I don't want us going Sherwood on teams like Chelsea but at home against teams we should be winning against I see no reason for not employing two strikers.
It also makes pressing high up the pitch a lot easier - especially if your lone striker is Ade. Anyway, I won't labour the point.

I agree with the recognised talent bit. We have enough 'potential', we need some experience and talent to guide the young players.

This janurary I want to see two players:

I would like to see someone like vdv. An experienced and talented attacking midfielder to guide eriksen and lamela. Not sure who is available, I would like to hear some suggestions.

I also think we need some scott parker grit and determination in midfield. I would love to buy milner. Such a professional nothing glamorous but gets the job done.

I couldn't agree more! Eriksen is a fantastic player but he has no good forward man to supply. Until we have a goal scorer in front of him unfortunatly we will never get the best out of him.

I'd like to see us bring in someone like Bony or Benteke, a real powerhouse that will enjoy the supply that Eriksen could give. They can score goals and hold up play well. Ade is uninterested and Soldado just looks like the new Torres.

We need to invest in recognised players! Proven players in the Prem. I wouldn't mind seeing Potch reunite with the like of Jay Rodriguez

I couldn't agree more! Eriksen is a fantastic player but he has no good forward man to supply. Until we have a goal scorer in front of him unfortunatly we will never get the best out of him.

I'd like to see us bring in someone like Bony or Benteke, a real powerhouse that will enjoy the supply that Eriksen could give. They can score goals and hold up play well. Ade is uninterested and Soldado just looks like the new Torres.

We need to invest in recognised players! Proven players in the Prem. I wouldn't mind seeing Potch reunite with the like of Jay Rodriguez
Cant say I agree with the Eriksen love-in here. Yesterday and many times before at home he has looked flat and crowded out and doesn't try and give the forwards anything to work with. He just shuffles the ball back to Capoue or wide to one of the full backs. I think he should play in a deeper role at home where he can be making those late runs forward and have the play in front of him rather than with his back to goal

You've got to remember that there we were, comfortably in 3rd in the league. We fluff ourselves at the Emirates, from 2-0 up to 5-2 down. We then went 9 games with 1 win! Out of a possible 27 points we picked up 6. All the while there was the alleged flirtation with England job (I don't know if I buy it).
He admits it in his book, mate. There's nothing 'alleged' about it.

Personally I feel our biggest problems stem from not having a consistent performer up top who the creative players behind can rely on to finish the chances they make for him. With this in mind, it makes their choices harder to make, our lone striker does not make smart enough runs, or hold up the ball well enough, meaning the ball is coming back at us far too often and putting the defence under more pressure than need be.

If the ball doesn't stick up top, then we are losing possession far more often than need be, and then we are not big, strong, or organised enough to win it back. I genuinely believe a striker like Bony would change our fortunes no end. We lack goals and a real quality finisher in the final third that can score from half-chances. Look at how Gylfi is linking up with Bony at Swansea. The quick one-two's and clever flicks are beautiful to watch, but so frustrating given he never had the chance to do that for us given we don't have the strikers willing to pass and run.

Cant say I agree with the Eriksen love-in here. Yesterday and many times before at home he has looked flat and crowded out and doesn't try and give the forwards anything to work with. He just shuffles the ball back to Capoue or wide to one of the full backs. I think he should play in a deeper role at home where he can be making those late runs forward and have the play in front of him rather than with his back to goal

I can see where you are coming from but my point was that he doesn't have any talented strikers that he can supply.
Ade is usually too deep when a counter attack starts and would you play Soldado in with his strike rate for us? It is a hard time for him a the moment but he is a fantastic player. I'm sure if he handed in a transfer request it would be all big clubs after him and I'm sure they'd get more out of him.

I can see where you are coming from but my point was that he doesn't have any talented strikers that he can supply.
Ade is usually too deep when a counter attack starts and would you play Soldado in with his strike rate for us? It is a hard time for him a the moment but he is a fantastic player. I'm sure if he handed in a transfer request it would be all big clubs after him and I'm sure they'd get more out of him.
Yes! Yes I would. They worked so well together before Fazio's red at City. They are two smart players who haven't been partnered together enough.

Away from home Eriksen as the #10 in the 4-2-3-1. At home play him a bit deeper so he isn't always getting the ball with his back to goal.

Get us playing some sort of exciting football with 2 up top and the crowd might not be sore bored. After all we are only human and sideways passing and no movement makes us restless!

I don't think it was boredom, it was sheer hostility where I was sitting, every bad long ball, every unchallenged header, every misplaced pass people were going mental.

I don't think it was boredom, it was sheer hostility where I was sitting, every bad long ball, every unchallenged header, every misplaced pass people were going mental.
QPR game aside we have been a boring side to watch at home this season. Last season we were boring under AVB and recklessly stupid under Sherwood. Even in Bale's last season we were boring at times but had some moments of brilliance from him to save us. We haven't been exciting to watch since the Redknapp days. Everything you mentioned in your post I was getting frustrated out because of how boring and predictable it was

They
Yes! Yes I would. They worked so well together before Fazio's red at City. They are two smart players who haven't been partnered together enough.

Away from home Eriksen as the #10 in the 4-2-3-1. At home play him a bit deeper so he isn't always getting the ball with his back to goal.
Yeah I guess, maybe play him how Fabregas plays for Chelsea? But then you'd have to take into consideration that Cesc has all goal scorers ahead of him on the pitch which is what we are lacking.

Ozil is a good example of this. At Real Madrid he was playing the ball into the likes of Ronaldo and he was amazing, now he is supplying player like Giroud and Sanogo everyone thinks he is lacklustre.

For me there's a major lack of leadership in our 1st 11. Lloris is in goal and can't impact the game as much as we'd like- but there's no one in the middle of the park who believes and who will work his socks off. We know we have a young side, but a little bit of experience would be nice in January. was disappointed to see Eriksen pulling out of headers-it's not his game at all- but it needs to be. Hes not alone there either- I know He's ideally a floating playmaker that doesn't do any of the grafting, but That doesn't suit what Poch wants.[/QUOTE]

This.We need a a real leader as Captain.And i don't think we have one.Oh for a Graham Roberts,Steve Perryman,Gary Mabbut now

Back
Top Bottom