Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

4T12739-g.jpg

Better? Shame about that rat in the middle.

We could have had Suarez as well, if it wasn't for Sherwood telling Redknapp in his scout report he's too similar to van der Vaart.

:sherwoodlol::harrysmile:

Only saw this now. Apart from Toby being a deserved winner of the poll.....what the fuck is Sagna doing in there??? He's nowhere near among the best four defenders in the league. There's not a smiley with a big enough grin on here and I can't be arsed to look for the Jan puking gif, so just picture someone puking his guts out at the thought of Sagna even being considered amongst the best defenders in the league.....
I might be mistaken but I think there was a preliminary poll to pick the best defender from each top 4 club first... so naturally Sagna won the Man City vote.

:pocheyes:

To the tune of Knees Up Mother Brown?

We can't spell his name.
We can't spell his name.
Alderweireld, Alderweireld.
We can't spell his name.

Right with the fallout of the palace game coming to an end, i wanted to stir up some shit and get peoples thoughts on my player of the season so far. Toby has come in to a piss poor defence and made them the best in the league. I was having this discussion with my football lot on WhatsApp on Sunday before the city game and I went as far as to say he is world class. For which I got ridiculed, only two of the group support spurs. Most of the group support QPR as that's where our clubs based in bush. Out of about 40 lads I was the only one to say he was world class. No one had any real argument against except one of the yids who said he ain't as good as Ledley, sol, mabbut or Roberts.

I got replies like "to be world class you have to be in the squad of that year". That's cool if that's your definition of world class as it is a bit of a Grey area but my response was in 95 there where at least 10 forwards that I would consider world class and then you could only have a ridged 4 (as 4-4-2 was the popular formation at that time) so a squad would presumably have 4 forwards, that could be classed as world class. My definition is slightly different I just believe anyone one who is in the highest tier of ability and form in a position is world class.

The shit that got thrown at me during the rest of the debate was mostly shit that I countered with cold hard facts but still everyone of them heckled me and called me deluded. So am I a loon or do any other spurs fans think that Toby is in fact one of the best players in his position in world football?

Right with the fallout of the palace game coming to an end, i wanted to stir up some shit and get peoples thoughts on my player of the season so far. Toby has come in to a piss poor defence and made them the best in the league. I was having this discussion with my football lot on WhatsApp on Sunday before the city game and I went as far as to say he is world class. For which I got ridiculed, only two of the group support spurs. Most of the group support QPR as that's where our clubs based in bush. Out of about 40 lads I was the only one to say he was world class. No one had any real argument against except one of the yids who said he ain't as good as Ledley, sol, mabbut or Roberts.

I got replies like "to be world class you have to be in the squad of that year". That's cool if that's your definition of world class as it is a bit of a Grey area but my response was in 95 there where at least 10 forwards that I would consider world class and then you could only have a ridged 4 (as 4-4-2 was the popular formation at that time) so a squad would presumably have 4 forwards, that could be classed as world class. My definition is slightly different I just believe anyone one who is in the highest tier of ability and form in a position is world class.

The shit that got thrown at me during the rest of the debate was mostly shit that I countered with cold hard facts but still everyone of them heckled me and called me deluded. So am I a loon or do any other spurs fans think that Toby is in fact one of the best players in his position in world football?
If he keeps performing at this level he definitely is world class

How about this as a song suggestion, to the tune of "He's got the whole world in his hands"

To-by Alder-wei-reld
To-by Alder-wei-reld
To-by Alder-wei-reld

And repeat...

I have a Gooner mate & live next door to a spammer. Both reluctantly agree that Toby is the signing of the decade. I like to remind them occasionally

Happy Birthday Toby. We love you.

Let's get this big win tonight and really push on in our quest for the title. A massive opportunity to go top at the business end of the season. What a way to celebrate that would be.

I find it hard to determine exactly why we're so much better defensively this season. Alderweireld's presence may surely be a factor, and he's been performing outstandingly, but...

- We're much better collectively.
- We're far more disciplined defensively than we've been (no nonsens clearing, dropping off into position instead of trying to win 50/50s if we're not in defensive balance, passing the ball back to the keeper if under pressure or lacking options, etc).
- Every player seems to have increased focus and awareness defensively.
- We very rarely lose the ball in dangerous positions, putting the defense in difficulties, like we used to (Eriksen, Lamela, and especially Townsend used to be dreadful at that, not to mention Bentaleb and Mason with their brainfart assists to opponents).
- Dier, a defensive player in a deep midfield role.
- Dembele has been brilliant, and is better defensively than anyone bar Dier in CM.

Alderweireld has been brilliant, except for the penalty against Stoke, and the Huth goal that lost us the game against Leicester.

Is he the most important player though? To me, Verts has actually been the most faultless, outstanding defender, but I think the presence of Alder has helped him.

Too many players have been great. It's hard to pick one that is more important than the others.

It's the collective, the team, that I would rate as THE factor this season.

^^That interview, love Toby even more!!!

He has been the difference maker in our defence, how do you explain our sudden improvement there this season, when all the others have played for us before?

Toby's pin point raking cross field balls. The memory of Dawes pulling those have long since faded.

Happy Birthday Toby!

PS. we need some Toby smilies!

Back
Top Bottom