Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fact that there has been no detail of Toby's injury on the official site tells me it's not serious. If the scan had revealed a major layoff, the club would've updated us with a statement by now.

If I'm being super optimistic I'd say Toby may well start against Chelsea after sitting out the midweek match (like Son did). But a more realistic aim is probably the Woolwich match.

The last time Alderweireld was substituted with a groin injury was in 2012 while at Ajax. He was out for two weeks, missed one game and was again substituted in the first two games he came back in before completing the third, indicating he'd played through the pain barrier in the first two. Groin injuries are ones that players can sometimes play with. Chris Armstrong notably did, and got a lot if stick as I remember for sub par performances, the fans obviously didn't know that at the time.

and Trippier and Davies I think. Both in the same season.

Spurs will definitely be without Toby Alderweireld for Thursday's Europa League match and the six-pointer at Chelsea on Sunday. He pulled up with a groin injury in Saturday's win over Manchester City and Spurs manager Jose Mourinho afterwards described the problem as "bad".

Scans this week proved inconclusive and there is optimism the injury is not as severe as first feared, although Mourinho is set to provide an update at a press conference today, with Spurs still preparing for a significant period without the centre-half.

Japhet Tanganga, who has only featured once this season due to injury, is in contention for the visit of Bulgarian side Ludogorets but Joe Rodon, who replaced Alderweireld against City, is ineligible in Europe.

Spurs will definitely be without Toby Alderweireld for Thursday's Europa League match and the six-pointer at Chelsea on Sunday. He pulled up with a groin injury in Saturday's win over Manchester City and Spurs manager Jose Mourinho afterwards described the problem as "bad".

Scans this week proved inconclusive and there is optimism the injury is not as severe as first feared, although Mourinho is set to provide an update at a press conference today, with Spurs still preparing for a significant period without the centre-half.

Japhet Tanganga, who has only featured once this season due to injury, is in contention for the visit of Bulgarian side Ludogorets but Joe Rodon, who replaced Alderweireld against City, is ineligible in Europe.

Never have I read an injury update that could be more spurs, “scans proved inconclusive”, of course. 😂

Having him back by Boxing Day is a win in my view after how it looked in Saturday.

Also he probably said 2-4 weeks to leave Liverpool in doubt on purpose. Mind games.
I bet he'll say the week before the Liverpool game 'Toby is working hard and will hopefully be back before the end of the year', only to play him in the starting XI at Anfield.

Like he did with Son vs Man U. AWB had spent all week preparing to deal with Bergwijn. Probably had a panic attack when he saw the XI.

Should be back for the busy Xmas period at least, although still misses most of our horror run of games
A bigger loss would have Dier IMO, I don't think Toby's been great since signing a new deal (although he was excellent against City, got his 1v1 defending back to what it used to be, so if this was him finding his feet for the season then this injury came exactly at the wrong time).

Would be interesting to see if Dier remains on the left if partnered with Rodon, who's a right-footer who prefers to play left. I suspect if Sanchez plays Dier remains on the left.

A bigger loss would have Dier IMO, I don't think Toby's been great since signing a new deal (although he was excellent against City, got his 1v1 defending back to what it used to be, so if this was him finding his feet for the season then this injury came exactly at the wrong time).

Would be interesting to see if Dier remains on the left if partnered with Rodon, who's a right-footer who prefers to play left. I suspect if Sanchez plays Dier remains on the left.
I get what your saying but Toby was as good as as Dier on sat! Immense

Back
Top Bottom