Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

?? Please name them!....Liverpool and??....๐Ÿค”
Of the games we've played this season who were favourites to win each game?
Everton - I'd say we were favs
Plovdiv - I'd edge us as favs
Southampton - Always a tuff game, still make us easy favs
Shekendija - I'd say us
Newcastle - Us
Chavs - Always tuff, they were not in good form at this time trying to bed in new players - which is why I say us. This weekend is a different story, they've improved their form and performances, propper challenge for us now.
Maccabi - Us
Utd - Us
West Ham - Us
LASK - Us
Burnley - Us
Antwerp - Us
Brighton - Us
Ludagrets - Us
West Brom - Us
City - Us (I've detailed why above in previous posts)

Do you disagree with me on the above? Were we not favourites in each and every one of these games, including the two traditionally difficult fixtures of City and chavs?

Shekendija - I'd say us
Newcastle - Us
Chavs - Always tuff, they were not in good form at this time trying to bed in new players - which is why I say us. This weekend is a different story, they've improved their form and performances, propper challenge for us now.
Maccabi - Us
Utd - Us
West Ham - Us
LASK - Us
Burnley - Us
Antwerp - Us
Brighton - Us
Ludagrets - Us
West Brom - Us

Do you disagree with me on the above? Were we not favourites in each and every one of these games, including the two traditionally difficult fixtures of City and chavs?

We are typically measured against the other so called top 6..... So far; played 3, won 3 (albeit 1 in the cup).

Also beat Saints who have been a form team since March lockdown.

You're trying too hard to diminish our results..... Save for a shitty ref against NC and a shitty last 10 against WH we'd be 4 points clear at the top.

Last edited:
We are typically measured against the other so called top 6..... So far; played 3, won 3 (albeit 1 in the cup).

Also beat Saints who gave been a form team since before lockdown.

You're trying too hard to diminish our results..... Save from a shitty ref against NC and a shitty last 10 against WH we'd be 4 points clear at the top.
Were we or were we not favourites to win those games? It's not a hard question. If you disagree with me that's absolutely fine, just tell me which games you didn't make us as favorites and why.

Were we or were we not favourites to win those games? It's not a hard question. If you disagree with me that's absolutely fine, just tell me which games you didn't make us as favorites and why.

Bookies favourites?

I have no idea.

To my mind vs City? No. Chavs away with a majorly rotated team? Absolutely not. Away to United? Nope.

Argue otherwise if you wish, but I shan't be taking you seriously.

Bookies favourites?

I have no idea.

To my mind vs City? No. Chavs away with a majorly rotated team? Absolutely not? Away to United? Nope.

Argue otherwise if you wish, but I shan't be taking you seriously.
Why?

Why are you putting Utd as favourites against us?

I completly understand why you would say City at the beginning of the season but going into the game they were on their worst start to a season in 12yrs, only won 3 league games one of whom are bottom the other two midtable and had scored only 7 goals from 7 games, getting walloped by Leicester 5-2.

Chavs was at home. At the time of playing them, they were struggling at the time with poor performances against Brighton, WBA, Liverpool, Southampton, Utd.

I couldn't believe we were 3/1 to beat City at home.

Shekendija - I'd say us
Newcastle - Us
Maccabi - Us
Utd - Us
West Ham - Us
LASK - Us
Burnley - Us
Antwerp - Us
Brighton - Us
Ludagrets - Us
West Brom - Us

You didn't mention 'favourites'. You said we'll be up against tougher opponents than City this season! I ask you, whether they're playing well or not, who will be tougher opponents than City bar Liverpool??
Answer: no one.

Why?

I completly understand why you would say City at the beginning of the season but going into the game they were on their worst start to a season in 12yrs, only won 3 league games one of whom are bottom the other two midtable and had scored only 7 goals from 7 games, getting walloped by Leicester 5-2.

Chavs was at home. At the time of playing them, they were struggling at the time with poor performances against Brighton, WBA, Liverpool, Southampton, Utd.

My mistake. We still played with a virtual B team against a team every said we should be shitting ourselves about thanks to all their mega-signings...

Regardless, it's all a bit rich you taking such wins for granted when generally your narrative is that we 'ain't all that'.

Someone else pointed out above, despite us having the most grueling schedule of the EPL teams (thanks to our early exploits in the EL), we're 6 points better off compared to the same fixtures last year.

I feel good about us being first in the league and showing tangible improvement upon our previous season; especially as I feel there is more to come from this squad.... It's a shame you don't feel you can share in that right now.

Last edited:
You didn't mention 'favourites'. You said we'll be up against tougher opponents than City this season! I ask you, whether they're playing well or not, who will be tougher opponents than City bar Liverpool??
Answer: no one.
I've been mentioning the games we've played this season have been favourable and games we should be winning almost since my first post in this thread since City game.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, Villa all tougher than City right now. Woolich we should be significant favs on paper but it's our derby so anything can happen, but expecting a harder game against them than City. That's games right there.

Are you dodging the question I put to you?

My mistake. We still played with a virtual B team against a team every said we should be shitting ourselves again about thanks to all their mega-signings...

Regardless, it's all a bit rich you taking such wins for granted when generally your narrative is that we 'ain't all that'.

Someone else pointed out above, despite us having the most grueling schedule of the EPL teams (thanks to our early exploits in the EL), we're 4 points better off compared to the same fixtures last year.

I feel good about us being first in the league and showing tangible improvement upon our previous season; especially as I feel there is more to come from this squad.... It's a shame you don't feel you can share in that right now.
So why do you make Utd better than us?

I've praised Jose on the results he achieved whilst we were qualifying in the EL, we played horribly but he got a pass from me due to the congestion, I thought our results were impressive.

We stunk the place our last season, we were absolutely shit. Our joint lowest league finish in 12 years, first time we didn't get at least into a cup quarter-final or beyond in 14yrs (actually didn't make it in 15/16 season but we did have our first title challenge in a generation).

So why do you make Utd better than us?

I've praised Jose on the results he achieved whilst we were qualifying in the EL, we played horribly but he got a pass from me due to the congestion, I thought our results were impressive.

We stunk the place our last season, we were absolutely shit. Our joint lowest league finish in 12 years, first time we didn't get at least into a cup quarter-final or beyond in 14yrs (actually didn't make it in 15/16 season but we did have our first title challenge in a generation).

:harrysmile:...And there it is.

Like I say "It's a shame".

What the fuck are you on about?

Airfixx Airfixx previously said:

"Someone else pointed out above, despite us having the most grueling schedule of the EPL teams (thanks to our early exploits in the EL), we're 6 points better off compared to the same fixtures last year."

"I feel good about us being first in the league and showing tangible improvement upon our previous season; especially as I feel there is more to come from this squad.... It's a shame you don't feel you can share in that right now."

........Damn shame.

Last edited:
Airfixx Airfixx previously said:

"Someone else pointed out above, despite us having the most grueling schedule of the EPL teams (thanks to our early exploits in the EL), we're 4 points better off compared to the same fixtures last year."

"I feel good about us being first in the league and showing tangible improvement upon our previous season; especially as I feel there is more to come from this squad.... It's a shame you don't feel you can share in that right now."

........Damn shame.
??

Talk straight mate for fuck sake.

Nope, still haven't got a clue what you're going on about. Why the riddles?

If you think that's a riddle you're on drugs mate....

I think it's a shame that you can't enjoy where we're at right now. What's so extremely difficult to understand about that?

Why?

We were at old trafford. Guarantee Utd win/draw had way better combined odds than spurs win.
As previous poster said, we were definitely underdogs vs Chelsea as we played a very weak team and played sun tue thur sun that week.

A bigger loss would have Dier IMO, I don't think Toby's been great since signing a new deal (although he was excellent against City, got his 1v1 defending back to what it used to be, so if this was him finding his feet for the season then this injury came exactly at the wrong time).

Would be interesting to see if Dier remains on the left if partnered with Rodon, who's a right-footer who prefers to play left. I suspect if Sanchez plays Dier remains on the left.
I thought Toby had a good game on Saturday

Back
Top Bottom