Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were at old trafford. Guarantee Utd win/draw had way better combined odds than spurs win.
As previous poster said, we were definitely underdogs vs Chelsea as we played a very weak team and played sun tue thur sun that week.
It's was posted by Totti Totti we were 3/1 on to win against Chavs though (I don't bet or follow any gambling sites so absolutely zero ideas of the odds for any games).

Why/how the fuck can anyone say Utd were favourites, what's the logic or reasoning for that? I understand it was early into the season (3rd game??) so little chance to see where teams are at but they were well beaten by Palace, should have lost against Brighton and are managed by OGS. All teams go to Old Trafford now believing they can we, many do.

V
It's was posted by Totti Totti we were 3/1 on to win against Chavs though (I don't bet or follow any gambling sites so absolutely zero ideas of the odds for any games).

Why/how the fuck can anyone say Utd were favourites, what's the logic or reasoning for that? I understand it was early into the season (3rd game??) so little chance to see where teams are at but they were well beaten by Palace, should have lost against Brighton and are managed by OGS. All teams go to Old Trafford now believing they can we, many do.

Our odds for all these games by the way:

Man Utd - We were 5/2. Man Utd were 10/11.
Chelsea - We were 10/3. Chelsea were 5/6
Man City - We were 3/1. Man City were 4/5

And at the weekend:

We are 12/5. Chelsea are 21/20.

And against Woolwich the following weel:

We are 21/20. Woolwich are 5/2.

Bookies think Woolwich are more likely to beat us at the Lane then we were to beat Man City at home.

If you think that's a riddle you're on drugs mate....

I think it's a shame that you can't enjoy where we're at right now. What's so extremely difficult to understand about that?
How the fuck have you come to that conclusion from the posts I have just made? Where have I shown my unhappiness?

Why can't you deal with facts? You now admit that we have had a very favourable run of games at the beginning of this season if you want to argue that Chelsea and Utd were favourites (you have yet to explain why you thought Utd were, perhaps it's at odds with your posts laughing at them in their thread ??) then fine have that still doesn't detract away from we were favourites against all the others. Dose it offend you to admit this?

What did you mean when you responded "and there it is" why the riddle? Or did you not like me saying that we were shit last season (and posted factual examples of how shit we were)? Do you disagree with this? Do you think we had a good season?

This is going to be yet another of your sessions, isn't it?

V

Our odds for all these games by the way:

Man Utd - We were 5/2. Man Utd were 10/11.
Chelsea - We were 10/3. Chelsea were 5/6
Man City - We were 3/1. Man City were 4/5

And at the weekend:

We are 12/5. Chelsea are 21/20.

And against Woolwich the following weel:

We are 21/20. Woolwich are 5/2.

Bookies think Woolwich are more likely to beat us at the Lane then we were to beat Man City at home.
Haha sorry, Totts. I honestly don't know what those mean odds mean.

Basically, the only game we are/were favourites for on that list is Woolwich in 2 weeks time.

But the bookies think Woolwich are more likely to beat us than we were to beat Man City at the weekend.

How the fuck have you come to that conclusion from the posts I have just made? Where have I shown my unhappiness?

Cos you're scratching around to try and find reasons why it's not that impressive.

We're top of the league... 6 points better off as far as head to head fixtures go.... Still in the LC and despite a crap showing against Antwerp set to cruise through our EL group.... All despite a brutal fixture schedule.

Why can't you deal with facts? You now admit that we have had a very favourable run of games at the beginning of this season if you want to argue that Chelsea and Utd were favourites (you have yet to explain why you thought Utd were, perhaps it's at odds with your posts laughing at them in their thread ??) then fine have that still doesn't detract away from we were favourites against all the others. Dose it offend you to admit this?

Nah, I didn't do that at all.... Please don't fake quote me.

What did you mean when you responded "and there it is" why the riddle? Or did you not like me saying that we were shit last season (and posted factual examples of how shit we were)? Do you disagree with this? Do you think we had a good season?

What did I mean?

(Whether or not we were shit last season or not and why - Or in your world more importantly WHOM was to blame if we were - has been done to death.....)

Why you feel the need to bring it up as a tool to further play down where we are at right now; I don't know, but for frame of reference; perhaps you need reminding that at this point last season we were teetering on a CL group exit and 14th in the table.

This is going to be yet another of your sessions, isn't it?

I dunno... You tell me; you're already swearing at me, playing the 'I don't understand English' game and wagging your finger at others already..... So in that sense I can certainly see a pattern here... What's next? You complaining that this is no longer on topic as if you've played no part in it not being so....?

As I've already said, it's a shame you feel the way you do about us doing well... I have nothing more to say on the matter that I didn't already post a few posts ago....

If this is being prolonged into some sort of "session" then look no further than yourself Guido.

Last edited:
Cos you're scratching around to try and find reasons why it's not that impressive.

We're top of the league... 6 points better off as far as head to head fixtures go.... Still in the LC and despite a crap showing against Antwerp set to cruise through our EL group.... All despite a brutal fixture schedule.

Nah, I didn't do that at all.... Please don't fake quote me.

What did I mean?

(Whether or not we were shit last season or not and why - Or in your world more importantly WHOM was to blame if we were - has been done to death.....)

Why you feel the need to bring it up as a tool to further play down where we are at right now; I don't know, but for frame of reference; perhaps you need reminding that at this point last season we were teetering on a CL group exit and 14th in the table.

I dunno... You tell me; you're already swearing at me, playing the 'I don't understand English' game and wagging your finger at others already..... So in that sense I can certainly see a pattern here... What's next? You complaining that this is no longer on topic as if you've played no part in it not being so....?

As I've already said, it's a shame you feel the way you do about us doing well... I have nothing more to say on the matter that I didn't already post a few posts ago....

If this is being prolonged into some sort of "session" then look no further than yourself Guido.
Fucking Hell!

We've had an easy run of games, that's it!!! I've implied NOTHING else but you interpreted this as me "diminishing our results". No.

I know where we are in the table, ITSN'T IT GREAT!!!! No one is fucking talking about that, that's not been discussed once by anyone, until now, by you.

OK, now we're getting somewhere, yet AGAIN you think this is me being anti-Jose. Bizarre because the ONLY reference I made to Jose was to praise him on the results he achieved whilst we were qualifying for EL (YES that's right I was the fella that mentioned our fixture congestion and as a consequence, our results were "impressive" my quote). But because I said we had a shit season last year (another question you've dodged when I asked if you thought it was a good season) you automatically assume I'm taking a swipe at Jose (we had TWO managers last season). I didn't even mention his name! BTW It was YOU that brought up last season, not me by directly referencing the corresponding fixtures from last season, so I responded with we "were shit last season" ergo I find it pointless making that comparison on account of how bad we were.

All you have to do is engage in the topic, disagree and state your case by response, keep it football. But you don't, you turn it onto the poster (in this case me) become embroiled with something that lives solely in your head as is just been shown what you meant with your riddle reply.

TDLr: IMO
1. Toby has been struggling for some time
2. Toby was excellent against City, his best game for a couple of years
3. Dier has by and large been great since played at CB (even last season) but better this
4. Dier, Aurier & Reggie have been great this season.
5. Davies, Doherty & Sanchez have struggled Toby too but has been better than them but not as good as those in point 4.
6. I have had us as favourites to win all of our games this season (including City, Utd & Chavs).
7. Jose impressed with our results during the period we were qualifying for EL

These were my positions I was debating on before you stuck your ore in. I acknowledge that you stuck your ore in on point 6 by accusing me of "diminishing our results". Yet here we are, as always with you, waging a war of words on who said what and when. If you disagree, great state why and put your reasons forward, it's not hard and stop accusing people of something that solely exists in your head. Anything that YOU deem as negative from me you latch onto and eventually we get to the reason why, you think I'm having a pop about Jose. I'll make it easy for you, you'll know when I am because I'll say so.

Oh dear, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 ..... Scenes! :dembelelol:
What?

We've played 16 games this season! Totti's list refers to just 3 other games we've played and I still don't understand if he confirmed if we were "bookies" favourites or not for the City game (I don't bet, I haven't got a clue how to read odds, they may as well be written in Arabic for all I know). So it kind of backs up my point doesn't it?

I also made no reference to what the bookies had us, it's always been my opinion we've been favourites to win the games we've played so far and I've given my reasons.

Fucking Hell!

We've had an easy run of games, that's it!!! I've implied NOTHING else but you interpreted this as me "diminishing our results".

Yes, I have because it wasn't an "Easy run of games".

......Transpires the bookies don't agree with you either!

I know where we are in the table, ITSN'T IT GREAT!!!! No one is fucking talking about that, that's not been discussed once by anyone, until now, by you.

OK, now we're getting somewhere, yet AGAIN you think this is me being anti-Jose. Bizarre because the ONLY reference I made to Jose was to praise him on the results he achieved whilst we were qualifying for EL (YES that's right I was the fella that mentioned our fixture congestion and as a consequence, our results were "impressive" my quote). But because I said we had a shit season last year (another question you've dodged when I asked if you thought it was a good season) you automatically assume I'm taking a swipe at Jose (we had TWO managers last season). I didn't even mention his name! BTW It was YOU that brought up last season, not me by directly referencing the corresponding fixtures from last season, so I responded with we "were shit last season" ergo I find it pointless making that comparison on account of how bad we were.

All you have to do is engage in the topic, disagree and state your case by response, keep it football. But you don't, you turn it onto the poster (in this case me) become embroiled with something that lives solely in your head as is just been shown what you meant with your riddle reply.

3. Dier has by and large been great since played at CB (even last season) but better this
5. Davies, Doherty & Sanchez have struggled Toby too but has been better than them but not as good as those in point 4.
6. I have had us as favourites to win all of our games this season (including City, Utd & Chavs).

These were my positions I was debating on before you stuck your ore in. I acknowledge that you stuck your ore in on point 6 by accusing me of "diminishing our results". Yet here we are, as always with you, waging a war of words on who said what and when. If you disagree, great state why and put your reasons forward, it's not hard and stop accusing people of something that solely exists in your head. Anything that YOU deem as negative from me you latch onto and eventually we get to the reason why, you think I'm having a pop about Jose. I'll make it easy for you, you'll know when I am because I'll say so.

Damn right, TLDR.

I rejected your comment about "tougher opposition" and "favourites"..... I told you why i disagreed.... Apparently this isn't good enough; further more it seemingly angers you and causes you to ramble about last season, all sorts of inconsequential stuff about me; throwing in the odd false quote for good measure and whining about accusations I've not actually made.

A "session" indeed. :)

What?

We've played 16 games this season! Totti's list refers to just 3 other games we've played and I still don't understand if he confirmed if we were "bookies" favourites or not for the City game (I don't bet, I haven't got a clue how to read odds, they may as well be written in Arabic for all I know).

He subseqently explained to you: "the only game we are/were favourites for on that list [of 'big' teams] is Woolwich in 2 weeks time".

So it kind of backs up my point doesn't it?

LOL... No. Anything but actually.......

Fucking Hell!

We've had an easy run of games, that's it!!! I've implied NOTHING else but you interpreted this as me "diminishing our results". No.

Not sure why you are explaining yourself. You are entitled to hold opinions that differ from other people.

God only knows why you thought we were favourites against city though
I didnt think we were favourites against them until about the 75th minute.

This season has been a great season for league position after 9 games
It has not been a great season for general play and team performances. We have been held by Brighton, Burnley, West Brom. West Ham , Everton and City to having to win/draw by breakaway goals - in terms of overall team performance. In none of those games did we look like much the better team who thoroughly deserved the win. I have heard that the city game was a masterclass by jose.
To me it's the difference between Maradona's two goals against England in 86. One was getting away with it by the skin of you teeth and being a c*** and his second was a masterclass of sublime football.
In the can we win the league thread a whole pile of indignant posters were rubbishing the opinion of Steve Nichol (4 league winners medals, 3 FA cups, European cup, international etc) for saying that this uber defensive, hit them on the break game is unsustainable and the players will get tired of it - he was belittled for his age and weight by some (nice.)
I think hes right. The players we have can play a more expansive and attacking game, we've shown we have a competent defence and we have a solid and creative midfield and a wonderful attack. So why are we getting battered by West Brom and scraping by in the 88th minute?
As you pointed out, this is a fairly benign start to the season, why are we playing like this? Maybe its practice for the tough games where we have to, and then once the chavs, dippers and City games are behind us we can go back to the southampton and man utd games approach.
Let's hope so

As the old saying goes " it's better to die on your feet than to live your life on your knees"

Not sure why you are explaining yourself. You are entitled to hold opinions that differ from other people.

It has not been a great season for general play and team performances. We have been held by Brighton, Burnley, West Brom. West Ham , Everton and City to having to win/draw by breakaway goals - in terms of overall team performance. In none of those games did we look like much the better team who thoroughly deserved the win. I have heard that the city game was a masterclass by jose.
To me it's the difference between Maradona's two goals against England in 86. One was getting away with it by the skin of you teeth and being a c*** and his second was a masterclass of sublime football.
In the can we win the league thread a whole pile of indignant posters were rubbishing the opinion of Steve Nichol (4 league winners medals, 3 FA cups, European cup, international etc) for saying that this uber defensive, hit them on the break game is unsustainable and the players will get tired of it - he was belittled for his age and weight by some (nice.)
I think hes right. The players we have can play a more expansive and attacking game, we've shown we have a competent defence and we have a solid and creative midfield and a wonderful attack. So why are we getting battered by West Brom and scraping by in the 88th minute?
As you pointed out, this is a fairly benign start to the season, why are we playing like this? Maybe its practice for the tough games where we have to, and then once the chavs, dippers and City games are behind us we can go back to the southampton and man utd games approach.
Let's hope so

As the old saying goes " it's better to die on your feet than to live your life on your knees"
Hardly 'battered' by West Brom.

Hardly 'battered' by West Brom.
In relative terms. I'd say so. They gave us a real good run around and kept us on the back foot throughout. I'm no stats freak but I wouldn't be surprised if they had more attempts on goal than us and may even have edged possession. Although we did wake up a bit in the last 10.
Either way. We didnt look top shelf.

Edit. I concede I may have got a bit carried away trying to make my point.
I'm sorry.
I'll try not to do it again

In relative terms. I'd say so. They gave us a real good run around and kept us on the back foot throughout. I'm no stats freak but I wouldn't be surprised if they had more attempts on goal than us and may even have edged possession. Although we did wake up a bit in the last 10.
Either way. We didnt look top shelf.

Edit. I concede I may have got a bit carried away trying to make my point.
I'm sorry.
I'll try not to do it again
Do what you want. 🤷‍♂️

Let's hope so

I do feel compelled to give an explanation when Airfixx Airfixx takes what wasn't at negative and turns it into one so he can eventually after much time waisting get to the point, that he thinks I'm being anti-Jose (despite actually complimenting him). It happens constantly with him.

I agree and disagree with you equal measure with your points you raise Mick. (I've explained why I thought we were favourites against City, they are struggling big time this season, they can't score for toffee, they no longer press and win the ball back high up the pitch which gives teams time on the ball, but they are still set up as a high-pressing side which exposes their defence by any team almost every game.

I disagree with your assessment of our performance against City, it was fantastic. Opening 15mins we were terrific, locking City out to nothing, whilst we turned them over multiple times and broke well. I wasn't so comfortable in the remainder of the first half, where I thought we were fortunate they didn't get the pen. But they weren't getting behind us, Lloris was more or less a bystander. In the 2nd half we completly controlled them. When people talk of masterclasses (always when it's a manager of a team that plays without the ball for some unknown reason) then absolutely this was. Last year and other encounters with them in the league we've been nothing than lucky to collect points, as they would routinely get behind us, through us, totally outplay us, with us relying on luck for them not to score. This wasn't the case on Sat.

I personally don't know where we because of the favourable fixtures we've had at the start of this season., to compound this there have been some topsy-turvy results from almost every side if anything we perhaps might be the least fluctuating team(??), whilst other have lost (some by big margins) we've either scraped through or drawn but I keep coming back to the fixture list. Safe to say we will 100% know where we are at when we are in Jan as there are some tougher games in them and on the spin.

I do feel the team is playing as to how the manager wants, that's positive, the team feel good and look in a positive mindset, so that too is a far better environment than a toxic one.

Imagine bleating on for multiple pages of a thread about how we were favorites in every game of the season and then when being shown we were severe underdogs in multiple games, admitting you don’t even know how odds work.

If you don’t want to get into odds and all that, it’s fine. But don’t write manifestos about who was favored in what game then. Your rationale for why we should have been the favorites in all those games is laughable and meaningless. People putting their actual money on the line (which determines the odds) are the people to be taken seriously. If you know more than those people, you could make an easy fortune becoming a professional gambler. Spoiler: you don’t.

Back
Top Bottom