Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not the first time. Off the top of my head he was also massively at fault for the Everton goal. Still a good defender, but that one flaw keeps getting exploited.

Nope, while Rodon is worse, he might suit our specific type of defending given his reputation for aerial defending. It also doesn't necessarily mean Toby gets dropped, we could play a back 3.

It seems like at best it is plugging one hole to create one or more holes elsewhere. Putting Rodon in place of Toby hurts us defensively, will cause trouble in our ability to move the ball from the back and takes away the beautiful passing from Toby which helps stretch the defense and create chances.

And all that for the chance. far from a guarantee that we might get slightly better at defending free kicks. But even that is unlikely because you still have Sissoko not jumping, Dier struggling to read the play and losing guys way too easily and other players switching off. Toby is far from our main concern defensively on set pieces so I am not sure why we would make our team so much weaker to try and potentially marginally improve one specific area.

The best way to improve our set piece defense is to stop giving away needless fouls, usually by the same two individuals, in threatening positions.

It seems like at best it is plugging one hole to create one or more holes elsewhere. Putting Rodon in place of Toby hurts us defensively, will cause trouble in our ability to move the ball from the back and takes away the beautiful passing from Toby which helps stretch the defense and create chances.

And all that for the chance. far from a guarantee that we might get slightly better at defending free kicks. But even that is unlikely because you still have Sissoko not jumping, Dier struggling to read the play and losing guys way too easily and other players switching off. Toby is far from our main concern defensively on set pieces so I am not sure why we would make our team so much weaker to try and potentially marginally improve one specific area.

The best way to improve our set piece defense is to stop giving away needless fouls, usually by the same two individuals, in threatening positions.
It also works on the false premise that Rodon is good in the air from what I have been told and seen it is one if the weaker elements of his game. Id break the bank for Umpencano. Sell Dele, Lucas, call that 35m loan Rodon to an EPL side and the 32m we were going to use on Skrinar give the lot to RB.

false premise that Rodon is good in the air from what I have been told and seen it is one if the weaker elements of his game
Well, neither of us has seen him play much, so we can't say the premise is false or otherwise. The only bit of evidence is the testimony of swansea fans, they say he's very dominant in the air. His chant literally has the line "if you throw a brick at him, he'll head the fucker back".

Who told you heading is his weakness?

I wouldn't blame Toby for Wednesday night.
Dier slipped/fell/was blocked off/fouled as the corner came in.
This meant that Toby had 2 men to deal with, his own and Dier's.
Toby stepped off Firmino to try and also cover the other fella. He made the wrong decision, as it turned out, but it could of easily been the right decision if the ball was 6 inches higher when it came in.
It happens sometimes, move on.

It seems like at best it is plugging one hole to create one or more holes elsewhere
A valid consideration, and I thought the same, but we did buy Rodon with the understanding that he will play for us, so why not try him in some easier, low intensity games?

Does anyone have a clue why Toby was not starting yesterday nor against Fulham?!?

Not that I have anything against Rodon (though I have against Sanchez), but just felt surprising...
He has the most composure from our CB options and I have generally found him quite dependable this season..

Does anyone have a clue why Toby was not starting yesterday nor against Fulham?!?

Not that I have anything against Rodon (though I have against Sanchez), but just felt surprising...
He has the most composure from our CB options and I have generally found him quite dependable this season..
I think from open play hes been excellent. Maybe set piece defending? Hard to know. I thought rodon was excellent yesterday though

He's 31 and isn't the fastest or the best in the air. He's played 11 out of 18 league matches which is about right, he's been OK but can't really complain about being rotated.

He's 31 and isn't the fastest or the best in the air. He's played 11 out of 18 league matches which is about right, he's been OK but can't really complain about being rotated.

Well I can, if it is against Sanchez (who let Lookman literally step past him) :D

All depending on the context. I guess in straight line run Sanchez could beat Toby, yea. But when you look them in game situation, you can see Sanchez sometimes actually running or jogging in straight line while totally losing track of attacking player he is supposed to cover :D

I think in the formation we played yesterday he'd have been very useful for his diaganols out to an advancing Reguilon.

Alderweireld - Rodon - Davies

Would be a decent back three in my opinion. You have Rodon being a better Eric Dier and Davies covering perfectly for Reguilon in a formation that sort of shifts to a back 4 when Reg is advanced.

Back
Top Bottom