Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Most annoying thing in that is Dier falling over and Alderweireld for a split second focusing on it.
Good spot. He's looking at Dier, tries to rush back without watching the ball and gets caught.

I'm now of full anti-Toby agenda for the forseeable future. He's not right for our style of play.

Toby did exactly the same thing on the Everton goal in the first game. Not paying attention and failed to contest the ball. He needs to be more commanding.

Kane could also have done more, the ball is heading towards his zone and he is not alive.

Good spot. He's looking at Dier, tries to rush back without watching the ball and gets caught.

I'm now of full anti-Toby agenda for the forseeable future. He's not right for our style of play.

He's just woeful from set pieces in general. Always has been.

Always seems to jump under the ball or let players dominate him. Everton on the opening day another one. Seemed to jump under the ball and Calvert-Lewin heads home the winner.

He's just woeful from set pieces in general. Always has been.

Always seems to jump under the ball or let players dominate him. Everton on the opening day another one. Seemed to jump under the ball and Calvert-Lewin heads home the winner.
Yup. He's also not a "ball playing CB" what he does is ping the ball, but he doesn't do what Jan used to, step up to intercept, run with the ball, make good short passes and evade press.

Yup. He's also not a "ball playing CB" what he does is ping the ball, but he doesn't do what Jan used to, step up to intercept, run with the ball, make good short passes and evade press.

I don't think that kind of defender really matters in this set up.

Which is why I don't think replacing Alderweireld is much of an issue. We play a low block where we rely on our defenders being relatively compact and able to knock it long at all times. Rodon is more than capable of winning headers and knocking it long.

We are a team that relies on a defensive system as opposed to getting by on world class defenders, like Liverpool for example who don't have a defensive system but a player like van Dijk makes them solid defensively. We don't have such player and really under Mourinho, we don't really need it.

We just need someone who can do the basics of defending. However, Toby is a liability from set pieces and he may just find himself in trouble.

I don't think that kind of defender really matters in this set up.

Which is why I don't think replacing Alderweireld is much of an issue. We play a low block where we rely on our defenders being relatively compact and able to knock it long at all times. Rodon is more than capable of winning headers and knocking it long.

We are a team that relies on a defensive system as opposed to getting by on world class defenders, like Liverpool for example who don't have a defensive system but a player like van Dijk makes them solid defensively. We don't have such player and really under Mourinho, we don't really need it.

We just need someone who can do the basics of defending. However, Toby is a liability from set pieces and he may just find himself in trouble.
We tried to, but Inter asked too high a fee for Skriniar.

Skriniar is only worth it if it's lower the fee, or we should look at alternative. That Botman kid from Lille should do a trick given Lille is willing to sell. Strong in the air, left footed, U21.

I don't think that kind of defender really matters in this set up
I agree, it's not essential. I'm just highlighting how little he brings to the team aside from general solidity in open play and the pings.

We tried to, but Inter asked too high a fee for Skriniar.

Skriniar is only worth it if it's lower the fee, or we should look at alternative. That Botman kid from Lille should do a trick given Lille is willing to sell. Strong in the air, left footed, U21.
Financially not a lot of other options, so I think we should go for him (assuming the legwork is done first in terms of scouting).

Meanwhile, Rodon needs to be given a chance. He'll probably make mistakes in open play, but our set pieces have absolutely killed us. Also Dier is the one organising the defence, not Toby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glad you copped to it early..... Can tell you to piss off in advance.

Agenda = bias = fuck off.

Also.... What the hell has our general style of play got to do with conceding from corners anyway?

Last edited:
Most annoying thing in that is Dier falling over and Alderweireld for a split second focusing on it.
No, the most annoying thing in all that is Clive Tyldsley calling him "Bobby Firminio" like he's his mate!!

Follwed by being able to see 'Bobbys' teeth from space!!!!!

He's our best defender.

Dier is fucking clumsy, too many times yesterday he was giving Firmino and Salah soace to shot...

I get Toby isn't the greatest at set-pieces. But we would be lost without him. I have no confidence in Dier whatsoever.

Was old and finished last season.

Became world class and part for the stingiest defence in the league this season.

We lose a game away to the champions and favourites and he’s shite again.

Fuck me ragged.

Was old and finished last season.

Became world class and part for the stingiest defence in the league this season.

We lose a game away to the champions and favourites and he’s shite again.

Fuck me ragged.
The beauty of football supporting.

Of course you can critique Toby after a questionable performance. But it doesn't negate all the positives he has had this season.

The beauty of football supporting.

Of course you can critique Toby after a questionable performance. But it doesn't negate all the positives he has had this season.
He lost his guy at a corner. Cost us dearly, but that’s all that happened. Now I’m seeing we put in an untested Rodon and all will be well.

Ifs like the “let’s replace Winks with Skipp” argument. Not sure why we are obsessed by what we don’t have, or who isn’t playing, no matter the lack of logic.

Fair, we have to give other players a game to see how they perform, but to suggest Rodon makes us stronger than Toby just comes over as a bit mad.

Cost us dearly, but that’s all that happened
Not the first time. Off the top of my head he was also massively at fault for the Everton goal. Still a good defender, but that one flaw keeps getting exploited.
ow I’m seeing we put in an untested Rodon and all will be well.
Nope, while Rodon is worse, he might suit our specific type of defending given his reputation for aerial defending. It also doesn't necessarily mean Toby gets dropped, we could play a back 3.

Not the first time. Off the top of my head he was also massively at fault for the Everton goal. Still a good defender, but that one flaw keeps getting exploited.

Nope, while Rodon is worse, he might suit our specific type of defending given his reputation for aerial defending. It also doesn't necessarily mean Toby gets dropped, we could play a back 3.
Yep, I can recall Tony making two big errors this season too. But the good far outweighs the bad.

I’d be delighted to see us go 352. We’ve signed two wing backs in Doherty and Reg and don’t play them in that position. Serge is perfectly able to play that position. Davies not so much, but we’ve got Sess coming back next season, so we can get by.

The only reason I can think that we aren’t doing this is we have a few wide forwards that wouldn’t get near the pitch. Honestly can’t think of another reason not to try it.

So in that case, aye, chuck Rodon in. But playing two at the back? Not for me.

Back
Top Bottom