Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting article in the independent. Quoting an Evening Standard report by the looks of it.

Confirms some suspicions and previous reports about the Poch era rise and fall.

He gave a very fair take on it all. Called stuff out but didn't bury anyone and also highlighted positives.

Any chance of a cut n paste job, fella......?
Former Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld has admitted the “tank was empty” under Mauricio Pochettino following the Champions League final defeat to Liverpool in 2019.

Pochettino was sacked following a poor run of form the following season, six months after guiding Spurs to the club’s first Champions League final and on the back of four consecutive top-four finishes in the Premier League.

The Argentine was replaced by Jose Mourinho, who was unable to return Spurs to the Champions League before he was sacked in April, with the club now undergoing a challenging rebuild under Nuno Espirito Santo.

Alderweireld left Spurs this summer to join Qatari side Al-Duhail SC and although he insisted that he did not look back on the club’s failure to win a trophy under Pochettino with a sense of regret, the Belgian international revealed they missed out on the opportunity to win silverware in their peak years together.

He told the Evening Standard: “[The Champions League] would have been the trophy for our golden generation. With the money we spent – almost nothing – and the way we played, it would have been an unbelievable achievement, especially if you saw the teams we beat.

“Afterwards the tank was empty. After a couple of seasons, it was one too many. When I look back now, we needed a bigger break to really have the desire to go again. The disappointment was too fresh.

“It was the same for everyone, even Poch. A manager’s career is different but the opportunity of Champions League Finals is [rare].

“I know for sure he loves Spurs, even to this day, and to achieve it with the club at the time would have been maybe the biggest achievement ever in Spurs’ history. So it’s logical. He needed time to refresh himself and get the desire to go again.”

Alderweireld compared Tottenham’s training under Pochettino to being in the “army” but said it built a mentality within the team that pushed them to challenge for the Premier League title in 2015-16 and 2016-17.

The 32-year-old admitted the team eventually lost the energy to maintain their high-pressing style under Pochettino and the club had to rebuild following the departure of senior players such as Christian Eriksen and Jan Vertonghen following the Champions League final.

He added: “The team was so close. You get close because the Pochettino way is not the easy way. You work so hard every day. Days off are very, very rare.

“You get the same as the army really. You get angry but you get fitter, you get better. You do it and it creates a group, like, ‘Let’s do it together’. So that was the feeling, especially in the seasons with Leicester, Chelsea, the Champions League.

“Then some players go and some players come and it needs redoing. Sometimes you need chemistry that works. I’m not saying it didn’t work but we have to be honest. The group we had then was a very special group of friendship.”

That's why people that shit on Poch stagger me. He was exhausted. He poured his heart and soul in, he was a bit too like one of us jn charge really. He'd run out of gas and should simply have stepped down. He will be back but its not the right time. In my opinion. Love the bloke wish him well but we need a new vision a new man who really shares the way we see football....yes Marcelo I'm talking about you.

That's why people that shit on Poch stagger me. He was exhausted. He poured his heart and soul in, he was a bit too like one of us jn charge really. He'd run out of gas and should simply have stepped down. He will be back but its not the right time. In my opinion. Love the bloke wish him well but we need a new vision a new man who really shares the way we see football....yes Marcelo I'm talking about you.
Well, he was exhausted from dealing with that cunt of a chairman.

Former Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld has admitted the “tank was empty” under Mauricio Pochettino following the Champions League final defeat to Liverpool in 2019.

Pochettino was sacked following a poor run of form the following season, six months after guiding Spurs to the club’s first Champions League final and on the back of four consecutive top-four finishes in the Premier League.

The Argentine was replaced by Jose Mourinho, who was unable to return Spurs to the Champions League before he was sacked in April, with the club now undergoing a challenging rebuild under Nuno Espirito Santo.

Alderweireld left Spurs this summer to join Qatari side Al-Duhail SC and although he insisted that he did not look back on the club’s failure to win a trophy under Pochettino with a sense of regret, the Belgian international revealed they missed out on the opportunity to win silverware in their peak years together.

He told the Evening Standard: “[The Champions League] would have been the trophy for our golden generation. With the money we spent – almost nothing – and the way we played, it would have been an unbelievable achievement, especially if you saw the teams we beat.

“Afterwards the tank was empty. After a couple of seasons, it was one too many. When I look back now, we needed a bigger break to really have the desire to go again. The disappointment was too fresh.

“It was the same for everyone, even Poch. A manager’s career is different but the opportunity of Champions League Finals is [rare].

“I know for sure he loves Spurs, even to this day, and to achieve it with the club at the time would have been maybe the biggest achievement ever in Spurs’ history. So it’s logical. He needed time to refresh himself and get the desire to go again.”

Alderweireld compared Tottenham’s training under Pochettino to being in the “army” but said it built a mentality within the team that pushed them to challenge for the Premier League title in 2015-16 and 2016-17.

The 32-year-old admitted the team eventually lost the energy to maintain their high-pressing style under Pochettino and the club had to rebuild following the departure of senior players such as Christian Eriksen and Jan Vertonghen following the Champions League final.

He added: “The team was so close. You get close because the Pochettino way is not the easy way. You work so hard every day. Days off are very, very rare.

“You get the same as the army really. You get angry but you get fitter, you get better. You do it and it creates a group, like, ‘Let’s do it together’. So that was the feeling, especially in the seasons with Leicester, Chelsea, the Champions League.

“Then some players go and some players come and it needs redoing. Sometimes you need chemistry that works. I’m not saying it didn’t work but we have to be honest. The group we had then was a very special group of friendship.”

I get so angry when I read this. So frustrating.

A fantastic manager who created a winning culture and togetherness in the squad.

Overachieved for years. Got us challenging for the league and the Champions League.

Exhausted by falling short and not getting the much needed support from the owners year after year. Then fired.

Holy shit. Fuck Levy. Love Poch.

Really good interview.

Good read and that is why I said the biggest issue we faced during that period was failing to win silverware.

And that was down to simply not quite having the right mentality.

Silverware.

FOKKzD0X0AkfgHZ

Back
Top Bottom