Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

yeah, fuck strengthening the squad. Having someone extend their already 3 year contract is more important.

yeah, fuck strengthening the squad. Having someone extend their already 3 year contract is more important.

If Toby goes, or is unsettled, we're fucked. We just have no one who can deputise, and when he's out our form is bang average. With him, we have the best defence in the PL. Without him, we're mid table.

And so what if he's on a 3 year contract. These bits of paper can mean jack shit if one of the really big clubs come calling.

imo if he extends his contract, it's a very good indication that he's happy to stay. Which is better news than Barkley signing (which I think would be good), or another RB like P???? or the German guy (which again would be good).

Guy, his release clause kicks in at season's end.

It's more important to get Toby extended than signing any new player.

He can sign his contract whenever he wants.

We can only sign a new player until the end of the month - I'd say that was a lot more important.

Without him we're mid table.

A place we haven't finished for 9 years.

We've had Toby for 2 seasons.

Well, why don't you check out our results when he's not on the pitch?

You'll see that after a great start to the season, with 5 wins and 2 draws

17 pts from 21

(title challenging form)

we then failed to beat

West Brom
B'mouth
Leicester

10 pts from 8 matches

(low to mid table form)

He's the new Dembele, without whom we couldnt buy a win until Big Vic and Winksy.

Okay, okay, you're right.

We should hope Alderweireld never ever leaves us or we'll just evaporate into obscurity.

Okay, okay, you're right.

We should hope Alderweireld never ever leaves us or we'll just evaporate into obscurity.

So, you think we're likely sign someone who will be more important for us this window?

If so, who?

If not...... Bore off.

So, you think we're likely sign someone who will be more important for us this window?

If so, who?

If not...... Bore off.

I didn't say that.

I know Alderweireld's importance and I've already said, probably in this thread, that he had shown to be more important then Kane last season.

But if you offered me Alderweireld signing his new contract before 1st September or strengthening our squad. I'd pick strengthening our squad every time.

Toby has 3 years left on his deal. Clause doesn't come into effect for another 2 years and he's likely to sign that deal before then.

I didn't say that.

I know Alderweireld's importance and I've already said, probably in this thread, that he had shown to be more important then Kane last season.

But if you offered me Alderweireld signing his new contract before 1st September or strengthening our squad. I'd pick strengthening our squad every time.

Toby has 3 years left on his deal. Clause doesn't come into effect for another 2 years and he's likely to sign that deal before then.

Care to quantify these squad improvements you are expecting(*)?

(*You clearly are expectant of something otherwise you'd just be pleased about TA's contract extension for what it is/was).

Considering what we know about our policy when it comes to wages/contract (+ TA's very own release clause!) and the insanity of the current transfer market your warblings about length of contract are selectively ignorant.

We'd be the laughing stock of the league if Toby was taken from us for a mere 25 million pounds
His release clause doesn't kick in until his final year, which is not until 2019. We don't let any of our good players go into thier final year of thier contract not since Campbell 17yrs ago.

It really doesn't matter if he sings a new one or not, means nothing if another club want to buy him they will, it just means they might have to pay through the nose to sign him. Walker only signed his new deal a few months ago, different scenario but Bentaleb only signed a new deal a month or two before we binned him off.

All it demonstrates is we are astute, well run and it backs up and reinforces our policy for rewarding performance. It does create an air of feel good too I guess.

His release clause doesn't kick in until his final year, which is not until 2019. We don't let any of our good players go into thier final year of thier contract not since Campbell 17yrs ago.

It really doesn't matter if he sings a new one or not, means nothing if another club want to buy him they will, it just means they might have to pay through the nose to sign him. Walker only signed his new deal a few months ago, different scenario but Bentaleb only signed a new deal a month or two before we binned him off.

All it demonstrates is we are astute, well run and it backs up and reinforces our policy for rewarding performance. It does create an air of feel good too I guess.
We let Walker go and he had a contact until 2021, that he signed last September.
I am struggling to come to terms that within 4 months of gleefully signing that contract he suddenly became home sick and wants to go up North "if" the opportunity arises. Stones obviously got to him at England and he knew City wanted. Otherwise he, and maybe the club, knew he was off when signing it.
The contract means fuck all really. It's just a safety net for the player and for the club it's a means to get more money if he decides to leave.
I'm sure Toby sign a new contract, yet he could still leave at the end of the season it all depends if he wants to leave.

Last edited:
anyone know a way to buy a shirt with Alderweireld on the back!? He's my missus' favourite player.. was gonna treat her to one but i have never been able to find one.. is it simply because the name has too many letters!? Must be a way

Back
Top Bottom