Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s not the first injury of this kind.

Anyway, my point was he’s not as valuable to the club as Harry Kane, and shouldn’t be rewarded with parity in wages. Yes, pay him more - the whole team deserves more, but that doesn’t seem to be working out. I think (I don’t know) that Kane’s next contract will be north of £200,000 pw. And there’s no chance Alderweireld will be offered that.

He'd be worth £150,000 per week if Kane is on £200,000 I reckon

Let’s give it a rest eh?

Let’s put the scaremongering to bed during our best week of the season please

I believe in actuals not heresay, we have enough giong on to worry about the here and now not potential summer transfer horseshit

COYS
emote.gif

Realistically, the club record signing of a young right sided defender in the summer probably should have put us all on notice that Alderweireld might not be staying.

Sanchez didn't come to Tottenham to sit on the bench, and we're not always going to play a back 3 (in fact, it seems likely we're staying with a back 4 with our current fullback situation). Investing a huge portion of our funds into 2 players for the same position (with little flexibility) doesn't seem very much like something we would do in this Levy/Poch era. Sanchez's strong play this season has in some ways made Alderweireld expendable.

My guess is that Alderweireld is sold in the summer (after the WC) for a huge fee, Sanchez takes over as Vertonghen's regular partner and another right sided center half is brought in as backup (with Dier also as additional cover in case Sanchez is injured).

In an ideal world we somehow keep both Alderweireld and Sanchez paid and happy, and we could probably do that for one more year - but Alderweireld's contract pushes that deadline up to this summer.

The fact he used speech marks makes his response seem sarcastic, which in turn doesn't do anything to negate my fears personally.
How the fuck do you get through the day without having a massive breakdown?:hugoshock:

Chill out, bruh. He probably used speech marks because he’s quoting someone, y’know, like what they’re meant for?

Tired of the poaching, instead of selling Toby to Munich we should go and take Hummels and Boateng off them. According to that recent list Bayern have less money than Everton, we should be the predator here.

Same with Madrid. We will have Modric thank you very much, and you can have ... nobody.

Some alternative rumours that he signed a new deal as equal top earner two weeks ago, the club have been waiting for a point where some good PR is needed but results have meant they haven't had to use it yet.

Can we please give it a few weeks before we panic? There is absolutely no reason to rush him back. To add to what I said last night, he could be kept home with one eye on being ready for the second leg. It'll all be fine. Just chill...enjoy the game tomorrow and try to stop running round like this guy...

200.gif

I think we are in an envious position in some respects.

Alderweireld has been out a long time and the truth is we have pretty much coped with his absence, which to me is down to the brilliance of Vertonghen, the defensive coaching but also Davinson.

I think Alderweireld signing a new contract is important but no longer essential and quite honestly we are nearing the point where if we get 60 million for him and what might now be dodgy hamstrings would it be bad business, if he is adequately replaced?

Like Rose I think it fair to ask have we seen their best? Like Rose we won't know for some time.

I just think players are right to recognise their relative worth in the market but also must be giving consistently good service which includes having a body to deliver it if what they seek are high end salaries. The harsh truth.

So on balance I really hope Alderweireld stays as part of that core nucleus but let us not be blind to being held to ransom and yes I do understand the danger of strengthening a rival. An obvious risk.

And as yet we have no clear idea of what Pochettino would prefer which I guess is part of the key to all this.

Last edited:
It's no coincidence that Vertonghen's best form for us has been since Toby joined - resulting in the best defence we've had since the 60's. All this uncertainty stresses me out.

I was a lot more worried about losing him when he got injured than i am now he is coming back to fitness.

Toby or not Toby.......

I would love Toby to sign a new contract, Levy certainly won’t let him run it down. it’s all conjecture at the moment and he’s still got a year + extended option. Since his injury our defence has performed brilliantly without him and his loss isn’t as badly felt as it has been in the past.

I can understand Alderweirelds frustration at not being selected, but I’m sure he also understands its for his fitness and nothing else. Poch has also taken a cautious approach with injury returners.

He won’t be going anywhere unless he really kicks up a fuss, which I can’t see him doing. The form Vertonghen and Sanchez have been in, plus our form playing 4-2-3-1 means it would be very hard to drop someone.

I imagine he’ll play against Rochdale and then be back in the squad for Palace.

Poch on Toby:

"You know how we work. After three and a half months he suffered a massive injury. From day one we created a plan to help him. We worked with the medical area and sports science. He’s 28, it was a massive injury and we cannot put in risk his career. "

"We’re sorry for him to miss massive games like Woolwich and the Champions League. I understand and we are frustrated too. Of course it’s a very important game but we need to apply our common sense about how he is used in the first few weeks after training. Competing is different. We were lucky to have Newport. All going well he will be available for Rochdale and we will assess day by day. "

"We had a nice conversation after the Liverpool game. The player last season was working hard to play in the Champions League. It’s normal to have the excitement to play. They always feel fit to play but it’s up to us and the medical stuff to make the decision. Then if something wrong happens the responsibility is us. With this type of injury you have to be careful. Look at this type of injury. Different type of players have had had a setback, like Barkley. Football is about taking risks, but not if we feel he is ready to compete with the demand of this type of game, and Woolwich and Liverpool."

Pochettino & Kane press conference live: Duo on Juventus, Alderweireld & more

Last edited:
Can you think of an example where any club has told any player he’s staying and it’s worked out for everyone? I’m struggling to come up with any.

Woolwich kept Sánchez.
Liverpool kept Coutinho.

Both clubs rewarded with mediocre six months and the player left anyway.
There's quite a few already been mentioned. Leighton Baines is another

Back
Top Bottom