Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

3 at the back usually means sacrificing Son though. :sonpoint:
Bit harsh. Couldn't we just drop him.
I am probably over-simplifying it but maybe in general play 2 CB's against the weaker teams & 3 CB's against the good quality teams. So son will still get plenty of game time.

Bit harsh. Couldn't we just drop him.
I am probably over-simplifying it but maybe in general play 2 CB's against the weaker teams & 3 CB's against the good quality teams. So son will still get plenty of game time.

It just gives us more flexibility full stop, especially when it seems that either Alli or Eriksen may well have to drop into the deeper 2 CM positions.

There were times last season when having Son, Alli and Eriksen all on the pitch actually gave us less penetration due to how narrow we where. Ideally i'd like to see us back playing three at the back with KWP and Rose on the wings.

Yeah would agree that Toby is a great squad player now. And a very very good option should we want to play 3 at the back.

100% expect him to go down the Kompajy route and start picking up more injuries.
His age and bad hamstrings will have a knock on effect on how often and the intensity he trains, plays etc.
Be interesting to see how he does in the World Cup as well.

Definitely don’t think going forward from here you could rely on him to start majority of your league and CL games.
Well obviously if he is going to be injured most of the time then now would be a perfect time to sell him. All depends on what our medical team think on that score. Or maybe its just a case of 50/50 & luck in terms of which way toby's health will go from now on.

It just gives us more flexibility full stop, especially when it seems that either Alli or Eriksen may well have to drop into the deeper 2 CM positions.

There were times last season when having Son, Alli and Eriksen all on the pitch actually gave us less penetration due to how narrow we where. Ideally i'd like to see us back playing three at the back with KWP and Rose on the wings.
Yeah the best I've seen us is with 3 at the back, & walker & rose on the wings. So I like your idea with rose & KWP.

Is anyone else a bit worried that if/when Toby goes and we buy De Ligt, that we have a real lack of experience at the back, with only Jan having the ability to organise the defence.
Of course this is not to say that Sanchez, Foyth and De Ligt aren't good players but they are very young.

Is anyone else a bit worried that if/when Toby goes and we buy De Ligt, that we have a real lack of experience at the back, with only Jan having the ability to organise the defence.
Of course this is not to say that Sanchez, Foyth and De Ligt aren't good players but they are very young.

Spurs fans are to myopic to worry about that.

Just like 2 seasons ago when they bragged about finishing the season strong with Trippier instead of Walker.

It's all fun and games until Sanchez/Foyth fuck up because they are young and inexperienced. Then suddenly it's not our old, injury prone, past it 4th choice CB that we let go but Toby bloody Alderweireld.

Spurs fans are to myopic to worry about that.

Just like 2 seasons ago when they bragged about finishing the season strong with Trippier instead of Walker.

It's all fun and games until Sanchez/Foyth fuck up because they are young and inexperienced. Then suddenly it's not our old, injury prone, past it 4th choice CB that we let go but Toby bloody Alderweireld.
Fact remains that the big contract has been wheeled out for Harry. Signed & sealed. That blows away the “skinflint cunts won’t pay the going rate” arguments. Maybe the manager doesn’t think that Toby is worth what he’s demanding in terms of his contract? Because if he did, the contract would have been dealt with by now. The club has proven that with the Kane deal. So maybe Toby bloody Alderweireld needs to be more realistic, agree a reasonable contract with the club & get back to fighting for his starting place.

Fact remains that the big contract has been wheeled out for Harry. Signed & sealed. That blows away the “skinflint cunts won’t pay the going rate” arguments. Maybe the manager doesn’t think that Toby is worth what he’s demanding in terms of his contract? Because if he did, the contract would have been dealt with by now. The club has proven that with the Kane deal. So maybe Toby bloody Alderweireld needs to be more realistic, agree a reasonable contract with the club & get back to fighting for his starting place.

Exactly......3rd without him, but we’re MUCH BETTER with him.
I guess a few too many fans feel we would have won the PL if Toby played?
Or is MUCH BETTER 2nd.....one place and 4pts better off?

I’m still trying to work out where they think we would have finished if Toby stayed fit, or where we will finish next year if we pay him the same as Kane.
Talk about delusion.....I though we needed a world class forward, and a world class DM and two world class full backs.
Turns out all we need is Toby Alderweireld.

Second is much better than 3rd?
Ok, so why are people saying Liverpool are catching us then when they are one whole place behind?

:avbshock:

Pay Toby 180k a week.....he’ll help become runners up again
Yes, 2nd is quite obviously better than third.

And Liverpool were closer to us last season than they were before, so are catching us up, yes.

Not sure what one thing has to do with the other, but both inescapable facts.

And Liverpool were closer to us last season than they were before, so are catching us up, yes.

Liverpool have improved, arguably would have finished above us had they gone out of the CL earlier.

However us playing at Wembley had the biggest effect. So difficult to say what the real difference is between the teams.

Hopefully being back at the Lane will be worth an extra 10 points minimum this season.

Liverpool have improved, arguably would have finished above us had they gone out of the CL earlier.

However us playing at Wembley had the biggest effect. So difficult to say what the real difference is between the teams.

Hopefully being back at the Lane will be worth an extra 10 points minimum this season.
Oh I agree about Wembley. Also if we’d had the very few injuries they had, we’d have ended further ahead too. But, what happened, happened. I think we’ll extend the difference between us again next season, no matter who they buy, but they’ll be snapping away at us all the way.

Exactly......3rd without him, but we’re MUCH BETTER with him.
I guess a few too many fans feel we would have won the PL if Toby played?
Or is MUCH BETTER 2nd.....one place and 4pts better off?

I’m still trying to work out where they think we would have finished if Toby stayed fit, or where we will finish next year if we pay him the same as Kane.
Talk about delusion.....I though we needed a world class forward, and a world class DM and two world class full backs.
Turns out all we need is Toby Alderweireld.
You're an idiot

more like us coming back to them, due to us having an iffy season...they had less points than the season before. we were down 9, whichis easily attributed to unbeaten season at WHL to having no home ground last year

Don't get me wrong, if we have another iffy year they may well catch us. But last summer we saw what we are seeing this summer. people here, and in the media, desperate to paint the bindippers as the example to follow, and citeh's only possible challengers (how many people were talking about stellar transfer windows for everyone but us in top 6 terms)
and yet despite having a player who had the season of his life (If Salah repeats it next time, fair play to him. i think its unlikely, but im not discounting it) to get the golden boot, they still finished in the same place with less points.
As things stand, they still have the same blind spots. Two average goalkeepers. all their centre halves liable to brain farts. Jordan Henderson.

more like us coming back to them, due to us having an iffy season...they had less points than the season before. we were down 9, whichis easily attributed to unbeaten season at WHL to having no home ground last year

Don't get me wrong, if we have another iffy year they may well catch us. But last summer we saw what we are seeing this summer. people here, and in the media, desperate to paint the bindippers as the example to follow, and citeh's only possible challengers (how many people were talking about stellar transfer windows for everyone but us in top 6 terms)
and yet despite having a player who had the season of his life (If Salah repeats it next time, fair play to him. i think its unlikely, but im not discounting it) to get the golden boot, they still finished in the same place with less points.
As things stand, they still have the same blind spots. Two average goalkeepers. all their centre halves liable to brain farts. Jordan Henderson.
Happy to change “they are catching us” to “they are closer to us”. Whatever the word used, the gap was less last season than it was before.

They are still a shower of whining scum though.

Last edited:
Oh I agree about Wembley. Also if we’d had the very few injuries they had, we’d have ended further ahead too. But, what happened, happened. I think we’ll extend the difference between us again next season, no matter who they buy, but they’ll be snapping away at us all the way.

Yeah would agree with that.
Bit more pressure on them this year. I was impressed with them doing so well after losing Coutinho.

On our day we are better than them. Hopefully that translates into league positions.

What would people prefer next season,
3rd or 4th & CL final? I'd say 3rd because that's what we got this season. But if next season we get 4th & CL final then that is better.

What would people prefer next season,
3rd or 4th & CL final? I'd say 3rd because that's what we got this season. But if next season we get 4th & CL final then that is better.

unless you win the final it’s pointless getting there, so Even though Liverpool got to the final, as they lost it I would see our season as more successful.......

Back
Top Bottom