Tommy Carroll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did you watch the game?! Walker had an absolute weston. Not even close to a 6.

What you don't seem to be getting is this discussion of Carroll is not based on last night, but a collection of performances he's put in.
Yes I was at the game.
Having read many write ups on the game from a variety of sources you are the first person I have come across that thinks Walker had a mare (yes, he was guilty of a poor mistake), but you are entitled to your opinion.
Carroll has not been shit. Is he our best CM? no. But the way he is being spoken about is nonsense and massively exaggerated.

I simply disagree with your criticism of him but respect your opinion

The 1st disagree was a bit tongue in cheek tho!
Irony I think

ArcespacE would have been proud of me.....I think!

But all of these posters getting on the lad's back annoy me

Was it his fault that nobody picked up Huth when he scored?
Bearing in mind he wasn't on the pitch at the time!

I think we need to trust our manager who clearly sees something in him

:pochsmirk:
It isn't posters picking on him, I don't think many if any of us have a problem with his attitude, his desire etc, he just isn't up to the calibre we want. Pooch's faith might be a symptom of not having the right players yet and Carroll is currently the best of a bunch (or the most match fit).

Would you slam people who criticised Fazio last season? He was after all picked ahead of Kaboul and Chiriches.

Last edited:
Numerous misplaced passes, his forte apparently. Complete lack of bollocks in competing aerially or in a tackle. Horrible defensive positional awareness.
He had a 79% passing rate yesterday, which was higher that Kane (77%), Alli (76%), and Dier (73%). Defensively, he only had a 20% success rate for tackles with one interception, but that was equal to Alli (20%, 1) and better than Eriksen (0%, 0) and Lamela (0%, 1).

Do I think he's the gold standard for midfielders? No, but he's had 8 first-team starts for us, and realistically hasn't been the source of our problems.

Yes I was at the game.
Having read many write ups on the game from a variety of sources you are the first person I have come across that thinks Walker had a mare (yes, he was guilty of a poor mistake), but you are entitled to your opinion.
Carroll has not been shit. Is he our best CM? no. But the way he is being spoken about is nonsense and massively exaggerated.
I was also at the game. Walker had more than one mistake.

I'm the first person that thinks Walker had a mare? Read the match thread.

He had a 79% passing rate yesterday, which was higher that Kane (77%), Alli (76%), and Dier (73%). Defensively, he only had a 20% success rate for tackles with one interception, but that was equal to Alli (20%, 1) and better than Eriksen (0%, 0) and Lamela (0%, 1).

Do I think he's the gold standard for midfielders? No, but he's had 8 first-team starts for us, and realistically hasn't been the source of our problems.
Yea, I watch football on the grass. Not by numbers on a screen.

It isn't players picking on him, I don't think many if any of us have a problem with his attitude, his desire etc, he just isn't up to the calibre we want. Pooch's faith might be a symptom of not having the right players yet and Carroll is currently the best of a bunch (or the most match fit).

Would you slam people who criticised Fazio last season? He was after all picked ahead of Kaboul and Chiriches.

Players?
Is that a typo?
If not then where did I say that " players" were picking on him?

Clearly we disagree with Tommy's ability but I remember disagreeing with similar posters on this and other forums on Lamela!

No I wouldn't slam people who criticised Fazio as I was probably one of them but I also criticised Chiriches and Kaboul's!
All crap IMO

Players?
Is that a typo?
If not then where did I say that " players" were picking on him?

Clearly we disagree with Tommy's ability but I remember disagreeing with similar posters on this and other forums on Lamela!

No I wouldn't slam people who criticised Fazio as I was probably one of them but I also criticised Chiriches and Kaboul's!
All crap IMO
I meant persons.

So why is it okay to criticise Fazio but not Carroll? One has won a European tournament, the other is Tom Carroll.

Yea, I watch football on the grass. Not by numbers on a screen.
I watched as well but I think that everyone, including myself, can get overly agitated during or after a frustrating game and we lose a little perspective. Stats aren't the entire story but they do give us the ability to look at performances a little more objectively.

Hard one this, I don't blame him at all for yesterday as Leicester played a park the bus then counter style which gave Carroll a lot of room and didn't expose him to pressure to much.

For me he is a talented player who is tidy and can be sometimes dangerous unfortunately his defensive game is similar to Paulinho i.e nonexistent and I am not even referring to the physical side which he lacks, his positioning and lack of speed means often it looks like the only player in the middle when we are under pressure is Dier.

Long term he might make a good AM but I rather Dier, Dembele, Mason if fit or Bentaleb if he gets his head together as our centre players.

Carroll's passing stats are misleading also because the majority of his passes are about 5 yards, generally one touch pass back to Jan or Toby after they've given it to him.

Comparing against Alli and Kane is unfair as they are trying to open up a defence in the final third, taking the much riskier, more ambitious passes.

EDIT - Oops, forgot to quote ILSpur ILSpur

Correct.

What's that got to do with anything I said?

Why not read and quote my whole post rather than select one line of it and make stupid, ill informed comments?

If you think Bentelab should start rather than Tommy based on recent performances then I rest my case!

I think the issue with Carroll is that Poch is playing him in the wrong position. He's probably better suited just in front of the two HMFs in a 4-3-3 line-up.
He's got an eye for the pass but defensively he looks naive.

I think the issue with Carroll is that Poch is playing him in the wrong position. He's probably better suited just in front of the two HMFs in a 4-3-3 line-up.
He's got an eye for the pass but defensively he looks naive.

I'd go with that

Why not read and quote my whole post rather than select one line of it and make stupid, ill informed comments?

If you think Bentelab should start rather than Tommy based on recent performances then I rest my case!
Lol. You literally said I want Bentaleb to start on last season's performances. Now you're saying I think Bentaleb should start on recent performances. Which one mate?

The rest of your post I didn't quote because it has no bearing on the conversation. I don't think I know better than Poch, that doesn't mean I don't question his decisions sometimes. I'm his biggest fan on here. He's not infallible.

This is a forum, if you're gonna dismiss discussion because we aren't prem managers we might as well shut the fucker down.

Last edited:
I know it's a forum so read what I said!

In my last post I said IF you think Bentelab should start based on this season's performances etc

Big difference and I stand by it!

btw you can take something for pmt nowadays

I know it's a forum so read what I said!

In my last post I said IF you think Bentelab should start based on this season's performances etc

Big difference and I stand by it!

btw you can take something for pmt nowadays

517987111.jpg

If you think humans can fly, I rest MY case.

Back
Top Bottom