Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (A) (16/02/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris- time to go. Didn’t understand why everyone was so looking forward to having him back after injury. Accident prone. Doesn’t command the 6 yard box let alone the area and has stopped sweeping. Gazza looks more secure until a replacement can be found

Sanchez- solid

Aurier- gets in good positions but terrible crossing. Accident waiting to happen defensively

Davies- unlikely to ever be a world beater but solid and a trier. Grew into the game

Toby- great finish but not the player he was. Tanganga unlucky not to start

Winks- ok

Dier- horribly immobile but better than people gave him credit for today.

Dele- very wasteful and lack of pace so apparent in everything he did

Moura- tried hard but again very wasteful

Son- the enigma that is Son. Bloody awful but 2 goals scored. Superb finish at end

Bergwijn - grew into the game
Entire team 10/10
Fucking love Tottenhammmm
Fucking love Tottenham
Fucking love Tottenham

But Toby was blameless? First goal lloris could come out or he could clear it. Both seem to leave it for each other but neither really took control. Second goal Toby should jump first

First goal isn't on Toby.... Hugo came out and pulled back; Toby was left not knowing what to do until it was too late.

A keeper should OWN his 6 yd box. ....Arguably the same criticism applies for the second.

Improved today, I thought. We had some kind of structure, and created lots of chances. Not sure where the allergy to finding a man with a pass comes from, but GLC should be fit again soon. Davies was done for pace a couple of times, but much more solid and saved a couple of goals early on.

Reading through a lot of the posts on here after the game, I think we probably need to remember we’ve changed manager, and therefore style so the ‘win-ugly’ style is writ large for the next couple of months. If Kane was fit, we’re finishing another two or three chances and the game is over after 45 minutes. If Dier is fully fit (and FWIW, I thought he looked much more assured today - albeit can’t pass consistently), then a lot of the pressure comes off our back four.

Post-match, Sonny and Toby looked different in their interview - a bit like ‘that was hard, but we expected to win it’, rather than ‘that was hard, and we did well to win it’. The mindset is shifting.

COYS

First goal isn't on Toby.... Hugo came out and pulled back; Toby was left not knowing what to do until it was too late.

A keeper should OWN his 6 yd box. ....Arguably the same criticism applies for the second.
Toby to blame for both. He either leaves it if there is a shout or hoofs it if there was no call, not that stupid limp foot.

And Toby jumping under a ball....think I've been saying about that for 18 months now, eh Pipework?

EQ6NCE1WoAUMSdc
where are all the Korean flags on a cold wet windy day in Birmingham

I agree he has been excellent for us on the whole but he has always had a mistake in him and his distribution is notoriously poor. However his reading of the game and presence as a sweeper as well as being a good shot stopper more than countered that. His reluctance to sweep and now it would appear to at least try to dominate his 6 yard box makes him more a liability now. Unpopular I know but no longer fills me or possibly his defenders with much confidence.
For Christ's sake..... He's 3 games back from a lengthy horrific injury lay off.

Go back and watch the game where we beat Man City 2 0......Lloris single handed saved us from a drubbing and enabled us to go on and get the win.

I don't think its going out on a limb to say that had he not been in goal that day, the result probably wouldn't have gone our way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom