Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (A) (16/02/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apparently the Villa manager is banging on about a "farcical VAR decision" that gave us the penalty.

I can only see one farcical decision - the decision of the Villa manager to embarrass himself and his club by pretending it wasn't a penalty. When you upend an opponent in your own penalty box, guess what it is...
The only farcical VAR decision is as the one that didn’t give us a penalty for a blatant hand ball stopping a goal

Well that was exciting stuff .... can't remember a game with so many chances .... Reina showed what a good keeper hr is/was and of course no Kane meant chances went begging. But forget all that what a great game for neutral fans

Not the best first half but by far the better team in the second half, the 'we will win attitude' is good to see. All that matters for us is the three points

Villa are just terrible at the back we could have had double figures ... relegation fodder if they can't tighten up their defending.

Last edited:
I maintain that Grealish looks very good because he’s on a very bad Villa team. He’s a decent player with moments of brilliance but you’d think he’s the English Messi sometimes with how the media goes on about it.

Turns 25 in September so I doubt there is much more to his game than what we’ve seen.

United will pay £60m for him in the summer and I’ll laugh.

One of the (many) reasons we could create so much is that when Villa don't have the ball, he swans around like a bad impression of Stan Bowles on a pub crawl. Lazy as fuck without the ball.

I'm having a cheeky late night liqueur, trying to stay awake for MotD (an hour later here) but this is my view of things...

No one played really well, but also no one played played really badly. I thought Dier and Winks were great in the first half

We really miss a centre forward

Villa were really good the first 20 mins, then we got back in the game and equalised. Then it was 50-50. It clearly was a penalty but I didn't think it was in real time. So where are we with VAR? I'd have been perfectly happy in another life if it hadn't been given, then moaned when I saw the replays, but the right decision was given. Where does this stand with all the stupid LiVARpool nonsense? Doesn't it also apply to us, when it works in our favour?

Second half I thought we started well, then gave away a sort of soft goal from a corner. For a while we looked shit, then shook ourselves out of it. Maybe it was Gio and later Gedson coming on. Not that either did anything briliant, but they changed something,

We got lucky, but so do Liverpool and City, so do winning teams.

YIDS

Last edited:
I'm having a cheeky late night liqueur, trying to stay awake for MotD (an hour later here) but this is my view of things...

No one played really well, but also no one played read really badly. I thought Dier and Winks were great in the first half

We really miss a centre forward

Villa were really good the first 20 mins, then we got back in the game and equalised. Then it was 50-50. It clearly was a penalty but I didn't think it was in real time. So where are we with VAR? I'd have been perfectly happy in another life if it hadn't been given, then moaned when I saw the replays, but the right decision was given. Where does this stand with all the stupid LiVARpool nonsense? Doesn't it also apply to us, when it works in our favour?

Second haf I thought we started well, then gave away a sort of soft goalk from a corner. For a while we looked shit, then shook ourselves out of it. Maybe it was Gio and later Geson comoing on. Not that either did anything briliant, but they changed something,

We got lucky, but o do Liverpol and City, so do winning teams.

YIDS

Pretty up and down performance....

I think "lucky" is harsh.... 25 shots with 10 on target tells me we did more than enough to win the game. I think on balance we had far more good chances than then too.

Last edited:
Perhaps not, but way shitter players than that bunch have been well organized and tough to break down under good management.

The football isn't as dreary as we might have expected under Mourinho, but the defensive solidity is also nothing like what he's been able to produce immediately at other stops.

It still very much feels like a stepfather situation. I'm waiting for the signature Mourinho performance. Wolves kinda, I guess, but it wasn't a clean sheet and the result probably flattered us.

We won’t get those sort of performances until next season but I’m happy with the work in progress

We weren’t shit. We had more than enough chances to win about three matches! Unless of course if you meant we were rubbish in front of goal. Then on that basis, yeah we were shit.

The xG and whatnot are more positive about our performance than I was. It felt like they were skipping through us at will, but fair enough that we created a lot of chances.

Back
Top Bottom