Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (6th Aug) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

[FORMATION=343, Lloris, Romero, Dier, Davies, Doherty, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Perisic, Kulusevski, Kane, Son][/FORMATION]

Bench: Forster, Emerson, Spence, Sanchez, Lenglet, Sessegnon, Bissouma, Gil, Lucas

Left out: Reguilon, Winks, Lo Celso, Tanganga, Ndombele, Sarr, Austin
Suspended: Richarlison
Injured: Skipp

Last edited:
reallt hope that Conte and his coaches understand how the 5 subs rule will change the way the game is played, its going to be more like rugby union with Starters & Finishers

[FORMATION=343, Lloris, Romero, Dier, Davies, Doherty, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Perisic, Kulusevski, Kane, Son][/FORMATION]

Bench: Forster, Emerson, Spence, Sanchez, Lenglet, Sessegnon, Bissouma, Gil, Lucas

Left out: Reguilon, Winks, Lo Celso, Tanganga, Ndombele, Sarr, Austin
Suspended: Richarlison
Injured: Skipp
Inwould play that but Sess or Perisic RWB

Doherty and Perisic aren't at a hundred percent as per Conte, and lets be honest, most would want them fit for the chav game as opposed to against the saints. Same goes for Bissouma apparently so all three may only make the bench whether we like it or not. It remains to be seen with Ben Davies too. So with all that in mind.

Lloris

Romero Dier Lenglet

Royal Bentancur Hojbjerg Sessegnon

Kulusevski Kane Son​

That's a shame for him. This was the ideal time to prove he still has plenty to offer but with the competition he could be in danger of becoming the forgotten man.
I hope this is minor and still is part of the plans.

Lots of football to be played..... Little chance of that happening.... Especially with Biss out in the short term too.

Doherty and Perisic aren't at a hundred percent as per Conte, and lets be honest, most would want them fit for the chav game as opposed to against the saints. Same goes for Bissouma apparently so all three may only make the bench whether we like it or not. It remains to be seen with Ben Davies too. So with all that in mind.

Lloris

Romero Dier Lenglet

Kulusevski Kane Son​
With 5 subs allowed he can tell Perisic to give it all he has got for 45 minutes then make a change.

With 5 subs allowed he can tell Perisic to give it all he has got for 45 minutes then make a change.
"Perisic is still not the Perisic I know. He needs to work hard but i repeat, both Matthew and he are coming back from long injuried .We have to be patience"

I guess with him playing barely over an hour in pre-season, taking his age and long injury lay off we may not see him play on Saturday. Should we expect him back against Chelsea?

"no no no, on Saturday he play for first 45 minutes and i run him into ground. then i take him out after half time"

aren't you worried about him getting injured?

"what you know Mr. Gold? you no futbol manajer, no? i not care this player injury or that player too, is new player so, i repeat, new player start"

Last edited:

Lloris

Romero Dier Lenglet

Kulusevski Kane Son​
both wingbacks prob only get 60 mins each anyway. cant see him leaving players on longer than that in a demanding position where we require them to be fresh.

royal out there in such an important position for 60 mins is a right strain on building momentum

This was the starting eleven and the available bench players we had the last time we faced Southampton in the league:

Lloris; Sanchez, Romero, Davies; Emerson, Winks, Hojbjerg, Reguilon; Lucas, Son, Kane.
Bench: Gollini, Doherty, Rodon, Sessegnon, Kulusevski, Bentancur, Bergwijn, White, Scarlett.

Bringing Dier, Perisic, Bentancur and Kulusevski in to that starting eleven is already a huge upgrade. Add to the fact that the squad is more settled under Conte now and have just had a full pre-season under him and I don't think there's any room to be pessimistic about this one outside of missing Skipp, Richarlison and potentially Bissouma.

Southampton blew us apart last season when it came to pressing us but the game coming so soon may be a good thing. In each of Hassenhuttls last three league campaigns, they've struggled at the start. Maybe players not quite at the required match fitness levels to press successfully.

In the 2019/20 season, They won just 2 of their opening 13 league games. Losing their opening two games to Burnley (3-0) and Liverpool (2-1). The following year they lost their opening two games again, one of which to a Mourinho Spurs (5-2) and last season they failed to win in their opening 7 games. Losing their opening game to a shocking Everton side who would battle relegation for the majority of the season.

Southampton have apparently been playing five at the back in pre-season so could go into the game matching us which I find interesting. I thought we actually played well against teams that tried to match us last season. Norwich, Leicester and West Ham in particular. We did have a tough time breaking down Brentford (away), Brighton (home) and we were highly disappointing against a Wolves team that travelled to us but those are teams with well-oiled systems. Southampton tried playing three at the back in the game at St. Marys and we should have won that game if it weren't for a horrible VAR call on Kane.

Quick glance on their forum tells me they're not particularly confident in this one. And I think we should be pretty confident on getting the result. We have a much more settled team than them, our players are looking very fit, we'll be in front of our home fans and there's a lot of optimism around the place for this season.

3-1 (Son x2, Kane)

midnight-staley-pain.gif

For Southampton, of course.

Good points from 5purs 5purs .
No point taking risks with any player's fitness with Chelsea away next Sunday.
AC may well start Royal and Sess.

Last edited:
That's a shame for him. This was the ideal time to prove he still has plenty to offer but with the competition he could be in danger of becoming the forgotten man.
I hope this is minor and still is part of the plans.

He just got a new long term contract so this trivial injury will not change his role. Any club-trained player as good as him will be an important player for many years.

Back
Top Bottom