Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (6th Aug) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Excited for the new season. Southampton expected to play 3 centre backs to start the season.. I'm very interested to see how sharp we are.. will need to move the ball a lot quicker than we did the last few games.

Think the five subs rule could benefit Hassenhutl. Very high energy team who have great periods but run themselves into the ground a bit. Anything can happen, but we and the team should be expecting a win from this, and a good performance to go with it hopefully. I do expect one of Perisic/Doherty to start, and the wingbacks to be changed at 60mins depending on game-state. Rest of the team picks itself if Ben Davies is fit to play, if he's not I really hope we see Lenglet and not Sanchez.

So it looks like this'll be the line up:

Lloris
Romero - Dier - Davies
Emerson - Hojbjerg - Bentancur - Sessegnon
Kulusevski - Kane - Son

More than capable of beating Southampton with that. Would rather have seen Perisic, Doherty and Bissouma of course but I can understand why Conte wouldn't risk their fitness with Chelsea coming up. Perisic and Bissouma both arrived carrying little knocks, hopefully both make the bench and can come on in the second half in preparation for starting the Chelsea game.

Lloris
Romero - Dier - Davies
Kulusevski - Kane - Son

More than capable of beating Southampton with that. Would rather have seen Perisic, Doherty and Bissouma of course but I can understand why Conte wouldn't risk their fitness with Chelsea coming up. Perisic and Bissouma both arrived carrying little knocks, hopefully both make the bench and can come on in the second half in preparation for starting the Chelsea game.
Pretty depressing

Pretty depressing

I'd consider that line up depressing if it's still our starting eleven 3/4s of the way into the season and I am quietly confident it won't be. So I'll hold off on the razor blades for now.

Unfortunately, Richarlison being suspended and Bissouma, Perisic and Skipp not being fit enough are all things out of our control. And I'd certainly rather start a team that is fit enough at this stage of the season than potentially further risk a players fitness on opening day.

Pretty depressing
That’s basically the side that played the 3rd best football in the league in 2022.

Obviously it’d be better if more of our new signings could start but at least a couple can play key minutes off the bench.

A few weeks from now I expect we’ll see a few changes to the first XI. For now though, no reason to underrate the side that finished so strongly last season - our big problem last season was our depth.

Only 24 hours to go bitches

homerspurs.png

Lloris
Romero - Dier - Davies
Kulusevski - Kane - Son

I am a great fan of stability but I would have preferred one new starter . Just send a strongish message.

Hopefully we start quickly and with purpose and the conviction of one of the best 4 teams in the league.

Last edited:
That team beat Norwich 5-0, Arse 3-0, drew away to almighty Lolerpool, put 4 past villa, 5 past Newcastle.
It should be enough to comfortably see off Southampton. Winning a game should never be depressing.
I wish i could share your optimism. The first match of the season is always important, every team is trying to find their feet.

Back
Top Bottom