Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (6th Aug) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Completely different players really.

Bentancur is a lot better than Dembele at using the ball. In fact, there's zero comparison. I'm not sure he'd be able to dominate a midfield on his own like Dembele could but for what we need in this team, Bentancur is perfect.

He's our Busquets. Never panics, never feels under pressure, comfortable with both feet. So important. It's crazy to me that he couldn't flourish in Juventus' midfield or they felt they couldn't get the best out of him.

Him & Biss together ought to be golden. :ledleylick:

Perfect time to play them really, before they get any sort of rhythm. Our team is already in the groove picking up from the end of last year, best chance of any time of the year to beat them right out of the gates I think.
Not just the rhythm, I feel like things are far from serene behind closed doors. Nasty club.

And yes, they can't put out a same XI to last year so will be in the signings still acclimatising phase. I would love it if we can go there and make a proper statement.

keegan.gif

Son was poor today. I didn’t think Kane was that bad to be honest. Not great but not awful. He had vision for passes he couldn’t make but he was still trying to open the defence.

Son is a very inconsistent player sometimes, sometimes world class sometime not on it, however that’s up to us as a club to get other top players to step up like Kulusevski when he is not on it. We can’t rely on Son or even Kane all the time, it’s why as the season moves on Richarlison will I believe show to be a good signing.

Him & Biss together ought to be golden. :ledleylick:

If they can hit it off and work in tandem, it will be the best central midfield pairing in the league. Because it has everything you need in a Conte 353. To think, we'd have Hojbjerg and Skipp pushing them both to be at their absolute best too.

The starters also struggled/were a bit nervous. Bissouma just needed time to grow into the match like everyone else.
Been like that in his minutes in pre-season, too.

New team - just needs time.

Someone like Perisic, tho - with tons of serious experience - just came on like he's been here his whole career.

Risking neg reps here but I though Emerson really came into the game and was quite good after the first 20 minutes.

He also benefitted from Kulusevski running absolutely rampant.

Between Sess and Royal I think it’s clear that a preseason and getting comfortable with Conte’s style has massively benefitted our wingbacks. They look much more confident in what they’re supposed to be doing.

Son was fine. Just wasn't clinical in front of goal.

Kane was extremely quiet but it's fine because we got the job done and played a team game.

Son and Kane open the game up for everyone else.

Yeah it's probably a big factor of Saints defenders being instructed to double up on the two of them as they (on paper) are our biggest threats. Kulusevski's able to take advantage of that with more freedom on the right.

Son is a very inconsistent player sometimes, sometimes world class sometime not on it, however that’s up to us as a club to get other top players to step up like Kulusevski when he is not on it. We can’t rely on Son or even Kane all the time, it’s why as the season moves on Richarlison will I believe show to be a good signing.
I think one of Son’s problems, so to speak, is that when he’s off it, it really shows. His touch and timing is just a little awry and then everything breaks down. He was misplacing passes today, which is evidence of rust.

He’ll be fine in a month or so.

Completely different players really.

Bentancur is a lot better than Dembele at using the ball.
Yeah for sure... Dembele would boss it by bullying his opponent whereas bentancur tackles, pass and moves relatively quickly but in his own way..he's aggressive too. I'm a big fan and kulevski had a great game too

Back
Top Bottom