Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Edit ... I meant to say hypothetically.
I did notice that we still played with a fairly high line today, but just saying ... if it does get abandoned, how would Hugo be affected?
If Vertonghen is starting, then I think we'd be a dramatically more inferior team. Dropping the high-line to play it safe would be ignoring both of their strengths.

Without Verts we'd be better off.

Seriously? Please explain
Because it isn't playing to either's strengths.

Vertonghen is the architect of our defense. He's simply the rock that we're built on, and we look lost without him. He gets forward and contributes to possession, but is quick enough to fall back and make impeccably-timed tackles. If you start playing Vertonghen deep in a low block then it's ignoring those strengths and we might as well be playing Dawson and Chiriches if we're not going to make use of the attributes that Vertonghen offers. Lloris is in a rough patch of form at the moment, but I strongly believe that a great deal of that is down to the absence of the former. If we start playing a low-block then it largely negates Lloris' ability to clear his line and rush out to sweep up, as well.

If Vert and Lloris are starting, then we need to be playing a high defensive line, otherwise we're not utilizing their abilities as players.

Maybe its because Sherwood has nothing to lose and AVB obviously did.

AVB did lose though, didnt he? I think he should have tried more than just sticking doggedly top his formation.

Sherwood though is certainly playing as if he has nothing to lose IMO.

Are you guys serious? Lloris is awesome but he has always preferred the punch over the catch. Look at his highlights from the French league and last year. He isn't exactly the biggest keeper and it shows on corners. Love him so don't really care. As far as Vlad goes, Dawson is to blame as well. Look at the goals and you will find that Dawson marks the wrong man leading to Vlad running back and appearing out of position. That second goal looks bad on Vlad and really he should have intercepted the pass but I put blame on Dawson too. He is often too slow and cumbersome. Good to have rose back and I would stick with Lamela and Soldado. Lamela has skill and vision. He just needs more patience. Soldado will score soon and will rip it up soon. Ade needs to play with him from now on. Benteleb is deff a good prospect..skill and passing were first class

A bit refreshing to see, I think. Certainly it's exciting, and watching the past two games is the first time that I've thought we might actually score some fucking goals, for once.

Im not comfortable with it at all, I think he has swung to far the opposite way from AVBs controlling/conservative game.

Somewhere between the two would be perfect IMO

Here's more on Sherwood selection of Bentaleb ...
There was a logic to the 19-year-old's involvement. "I don't know Capoue much – I've only had three days' training, so I don't know a lot of these new players – but, at the moment, I know I can trust that kid," said Sherwood. "It's about the heat of the battle and knowing who you can trust, and the kid's ready to play. He trains like every day is the last day in the world, listens and has a fantastic attitude." He was tidy and impressive, his debut a minor sideshow in the context of this team reviving their league form, but subtle, sensible tweaks like that could yet see Sherwood's short-term appointment extended at least until the summer.

And...
Stat attack
He only misplaced three of the 22 passes he made and was solid defensively as well; winning one tackle, making two interceptions and only giving away one foul.

Bentaleb added control too as was only disposed once and won the ball back twice, this in a more defensive role whereas for the youth team he has played a number of different positions ranging from behind the striker to central midfield.

The Frenchmen is highly rated within the club according to various sources and only a few months ago signed a new four-year deal, which means his current contract doesn’t end until 2018.

Hopefully he gets a good chance to break in. Would be lovely if he could get a good loan move.
I would love it if (in the future) our CM pairing is our two products ... Bentaleb - Carroll.

Dawson is better under TS, especally with two fast full backs in place. Vert would be a better partner to Dawson than Vlad. However, I like Vlad and there is no reason why him and Verts couldn't play together. I guess TS likes two lines of 4 on the edge of the box-thats how it appears to me and this suits Daws. I just feel, in time we will need mobility in our CB's and Dawson shouldn't feature.

Because it isn't playing to either's strengths.

Vertonghen is the architect of our defense. He's simply the rock that we're built on, and we look lost without him. He gets forward and contributes to possession, but is quick enough to fall back and make impeccably-timed tackles. If you start playing Vertonghen deep in a low block then it's ignoring those strengths and we might as well be playing Dawson and Chiriches if we're not going to make use of the attributes that Vertonghen offers. Lloris is in a rough patch of form at the moment, but I strongly believe that a great deal of that is down to the absence of the former. If we start playing a low-block then it largely negates Lloris' ability to clear his line and rush out to sweep up, as well.

If Vert and Lloris are starting, then we need to be playing a high defensive line, otherwise we're not utilizing their abilities as players.

So we dont play our best centre back? Im sorry fella, high line or not but i disagree. Who do we play instead of him? He's a CB any club would be happy to have on their books. Just Hugo is quick off his line doesnt mean to me we shouldnt play our best centre back, or am i missing the point?

Adebayor also praises "the players and the new staff" at Tottenham for giving him back "confidence" and thanks his team-mates for their support during his time on the sidelines. Well said…Ade has injected a bit of life into us...
This just makes for good team spirit. Hopefully we keep winning dispute the injures. We just need Soldado to turn the corner, he nearly did today?

So we dont play our best centre back? Im sorry fella, high line or not but i disagree. Who do we play instead of him? He's a CB any club would be happy to have on their books. Just Hugo is quick off his line doesnt mean to me we shouldnt play our best centre back, or am i missing the point?
Ah, as I thought. Yeah, you're missing my point a bit, or at least just misreading it.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be playing Jan. This is a discussion of high-line versus low-block, not whether or not to play Vertonghen. If Vertonghen is fit then I expect him to start.

I'm just saying that a high-line with Vertonghen starting is a hell of a lot better than a low-block with Vertonghen starting, because the latter system doesn't capitalize on Vertonghen's strengths.

Adebayor also praises "the players and the new staff" at Tottenham for giving him back "confidence" and thanks his team-mates for their support during his time on the sidelines. Well said…Ade has injected a bit of life into us...
This just makes for good team spirit. Hopefully we keep winning dispute the injures. We just need Soldado to turn the corner, he nearly did today?
It was voodoo magic that prevented Soldado from bagging a brace today. Absolutely criminal. If he starts firing than this will be a side that is unrecognizable from its recent form.

Here's more on Sherwood selection of Bentaleb ...

There was a logic to the 19-year-old's involvement. "I don't know Capoue much – I've only had three days' training, so I don't know a lot of these new players – but, at the moment, I know I can trust that kid," said Sherwood. "It's about the heat of the battle and knowing who you can trust, and the kid's ready to play. He trains like every day is the last day in the world, listens and has a fantastic attitude." He was tidy and impressive, his debut a minor sideshow in the context of this team reviving their league form, but subtle, sensible tweaks like that could yet see Sherwood's short-term appointment extended at least until the summer.

I do find it a bit unbelievable. Sherwood is at all our games, watching the team. He is, I believe, involved in the purchase of players and spends as much time around the training ground as anyone. Does he really have any excuse to not know "who" Capoue and Holtby are?

Credit to Bentaleb, he did do very well. I was very pleased with him, but Sherwoods reasoning just doesnt stack up for me.

Ah, as I thought. Yeah, you're missing my point a bit, or at least just misreading it.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be playing Jan. This is a discussion of high-line versus low-block, not whether or not to play Vertonghen. If Vertonghen is fit then I expect him to start.

I'm just saying that a high-line with Vertonghen starting is a hell of a lot better than a low-block with Vertonghen starting, because the latter system doesn't capitalize on Vertonghen's strengths.

Ah thats fine then, yeah was misreading it. I agree with you, but the guy is good enough to play in both systems.

I do find it a bit unbelievable. Sherwood is at all our games, watching the team. He is, I believe, involved in the purchase of players and spends as much time around the training ground as anyone. Does he really have any excuse to not know "who" Capoue and Holtby are?

Credit to Bentaleb, he did do very well. I was very pleased with him, but Sherwoods reasoning just doesnt stack up for me.
Sure he does. He hasn't been a part of the first-team coaching staff, per se. I'm sure he's watched a lot of the games, but he hasn't seen them day-to-day enough to be comfortable with them, so he's relying at the moment more on older players that he's more familiar with, and the youngsters that he knows well because he brought them through.

Mate, as much as his tenure could go tits up and we all look back on this season as one colossal train-wreck, I have to say that I think a lot of your criticism of the man seems desperate, like you're looking for any excuse not to get behind the man, as so many people never did with AVB, and hid out in the shadows whenever Spurs were on a run under his tenure.

nah. just get negged .
That's nice.

PUeXL3J.jpg

Back
Top Bottom