Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United Match History 1898-2013

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dawson needs to be dropped, Sandro needs to be brought back in with Lamela starting.

We lost the game in midfield today, we had no authority and no dimension to our game. We kept going through the middle unto cul-de-sacs where by they picked up the ball and ran at us.

We needed to have brought the play to the wings sooner, and by that subbing Siggy sooner, the centre of the park was chocablock, how they didn't see this when playing is beyond me.

Bit harsh with the AVB out posts, however I hope it is a decent shock to his system whereby he can think in play rather than setting up before play.

Changing tactics within the match to counter what is going on, making decent substitutions at the right time and choosing the best starting line up are just a couple of things he needs to work on. It may be his second season in charge, but, he also has a team that are still trying to learn the system and each other.

0-3 was bollocks though.

No width in the slightest, too many midfielders that cut infield and West Ham did well to congest the centre constantly with 5 defenders. Not enough crosses are getting into the box which is arguably why Soldado hasn't had a sniff for most games lately, bar Cardiff. Still if Defoe had been clinical with his own chances then AVB would have been vindicated for putting him back in the team. I'd like to see Lennon and Rose back soon getting to the byline and whipping balls in.
Credit to West Ham who obviously did their homework and did finish their chances. Walker didn't look fit today in my opinion.

We looked tired, predictable and apathetic today. For all the talk about how big and strong our team is this season, I lost count of the number of times we got muscled off the ball or lost 50/50 challenges. They were just much more committed and organised.
The system isn't good enough. As I said after the Chelsea game, I don't like the Paulinho/Dembele partnership in CM, our passing is too slow and we are far too open for the counter-attack. And I'm starting to lose patience with the inverted wingers thing too; at least Townsend did go on the outside a few times today but even then he was on his weaker foot and we had Defoe in the box. Naughton offers nothing attacking wise, we desperately miss Rose on that side. Also I have very little confidence in Dawson, I said at the start of the season that he probably shouldn't be the long-term solution and I'm convinced now.

Also I wonder if we should just give up on the Europa League, I don't think we are capable of flying away to places like Russia in midweek and then bounce back to put up a real fight on the weekend.

Weird, I thought paulinho was pretty poor. Multiple times his poor first touch was our undoing in the final third.

everyone lost possession afew times today as wet spam crowded the fuck out of midfield/the final 3rd their whole team behind the ball

Paulinho was a big part in us keeping positive possession though and popped up with afew good chances, if everyone played at his level today we wouldn't of got beat.

We looked tired, predictable and apathetic today. For all the talk about how big and strong our team is this season, I lost count of the number of times we got muscled off the ball or lost 50/50 challenges. They were just much more committed and organised.
The system isn't good enough. As I said after the Chelsea game, I don't like the Paulinho/Dembele partnership in CM, our passing is too slow and we are far too open for the counter-attack. And I'm starting to lose patience with the inverted wingers thing too; at least Townsend did go on the outside a few times today but even then he was on his weaker foot and we had Defoe in the box. Naughton offers nothing attacking wise, we desperately miss Rose on that side. Also I have very little confidence in Dawson, I said at the start of the season that he probably shouldn't be the long-term solution and I'm convinced now.

Also I wonder if we should just give up on the Europa League, I don't think we are capable of flying away to places like Russia in midweek and then bounce back to put up a real fight on the weekend.
Thats a fair point about flying to Ruskkie land and then playing 2.5 days afterwards. We looked flat, however maybe AVB should have played more players that did not play in Moscow?

fed up up with our slow build up play - it's shit, we hardly score in the premiership- manager's fault - hasn't learnt from previous seasons - therefore must be told to fuck off (maybe give him a couple of games to change it)

Weird, I thought paulinho was pretty poor. Multiple times his poor first touch was our undoing in the final third.
the whole team, almost bar none were a shadow of anything we have seen so far. Quite how we managed to look so poor across the board, to a team like West Ham is a total mystery. Eriksen looked lost and dembele and paulinho were making poor passing choices throughout the game.

The team looked like they were at that stage where you have had a few drinks, you think that you are still in control, but the timing and edge that you normally have is just out of kilter.
The comedy routine of blaming defoe and the continual accusations of his laziness and inability to find space or present the supply lines with spaces to feed him are risible to say the least. He had the best opportunities, that he made for himself and was isolated and left with scraps to feed on - from an inept and hapless midfield.

AVB needs to work on the mentality issues, because from the distance of my TV, it looked like we just expected to walk this, and looked stunned and (drunk) incapable of working out why it was all going wrong, but worst of all one step behind a fairly average team who just seemed to want to work that little bit harder.

Agreed although I think only 4 of the starting line up played against Anzhi on Thursday, however I'm not sure how many traveled and if jet lag could've been a factor.

It hurts all the more as it's them and losing 0-3 at home against anyone isn't good. I think the fans deserved more effort from the players today.
If a team congests the centre by parking the bus then tactically doesn't it make sense to stretch them out? Eriksen couldn't get through the centre himself and then everyone else was trying to take the same route imo.

it may have just been west hams greater determination but did every fucking 50/50 ball go to them? I was constantly thinking that they had 12 on the field with the amount of players back (usually 6-8) and every clearance finding the isolated "striker" ( a fucking defensive mid for fuck sake).

I put it down to tired legs, Having players like Capoue, Rose, Kaboul and Ade out is massive as they all could have done a job today

Edit: Not to mention lennon who would have given us natural width...

I was having flashbacks to that nightmare in the 2nd leg EL match against Inter last season. Very similar performance.

The thing that was really blatant for me today was that Sam set up to congest the centre. EVERY time Townsend went to the byline he got in a cross. Why the hell didn't he we realise this earlier and go hard down the flanks?? Makes no sense at all. Also Paulinho was flagging again after 60 mins why he didn't bring either sandro or Holtby on then again I don't know. What I will say is we need to really practice defending set pieces. Im shitting it every tome ones taken against us

Back
Top Bottom