Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tactical disaster at 1-1. Simply need to sit back and work the counter. Instead continue to press ...Sanchez completely caught out of position..trippier with the Ole..JV in lalaland on the left. Backline collapse. Def on players but Poch needed to adjust tactics there. 1-1 draw was a W. This stings like all the rest really. Fuck me

what hurts the most is that feels like Juve choked and we choked as well, but they powered through in the end. The 1st & 2nd goal put them in the driving seat and from then on it was back to basics for them. We should have mopped the floor with them, but we too have to learn.

As much as the players need to learn a few things from this, so does the manager. Poch was done tactically by Allegri tonight. They changed it up midway through that second half and suddenly overwhelmed us in the wide positions, and we were knocked off balance completely. With 20 minutes to go, I feel like Poch could have tried to do more and quicker to respond. I know Allegri has more to work with in his squad, but I still think there was a distinct gap in tactical nous out there; we were full of excitement and hope, but they were more clever and calculated.

We are currently a team who often need like 20 chances to win a game, we need to become a team who can win on 1 or 2 chances. That's the next step.

94BCDD09-DE37-4F74-9759-69564B07131A_cx0_cy4_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

how i feel
good night lads

what hurts the most is that feels like Juve choked and we choked as well, but they powered through in the end. The 1st & 2nd goal put them in the driving seat and from then on it was back to basics for them. We should have mopped the floor with them, but we too have to learn.
Agreed to a certain extent but at 1-1 Spurs had to make a tactical change. Sanchez pressing there and Trippier/JV caught completely out of position was tough to watch. Not sure why they subjected themselves to such a risky situation all things considered. Sit back and work the counter at 1-1 made so much more sense.

Don't wanna sound weak, but this loss has left me feeling absolutely deflated, proud of our performance but in some serious pain right now

It’s because this team has put us on the brink of glorious results. We’re not quite there yet, but never forget that this pain is borne from great achievements. If we’re going to suffer in this sport it’s better to suffer like this, than being whipped by relegation fodder like West Ham were at the weekend.

Big league games bring possibilities of big league disappointment. Don’t be down at the result. Be happy that we’re in a position to be disappointed for losing to the likes of Juve in the hardest club competition in existence. We’re tussling with the big boys now, and pulling our weight.

And we’re just getting started.

Oh hey guys. First time I’m really able to check this thread - fuck the signal at Wembley.

Disappointing for sure but I can’t not have pride in Spurs. Their goals felt like they happened in a flash (I can blame the three pints beforehand on my interpretation of that one). Clear to me that Juve are some canny bastards who know how to get the job done. Will never rise to the bait if rival fans try to goad us about going out the last 16: we’ve had a great Champions League campaign against top opposition. If only we could have had it go our way tonight.

Big mental test to have the lads bounce back against Bournemouth.
Poch and this squad are only two times into having a go at the Champions League and we’ve demonstrably improved over that time. How many times did Chelsea take to actually impress in it again? (and even then, it took a ridiculously jammy/defensive run to win it)

Very, very proud of this team. Gutted to have gone out as we were the better team in both legs, so it hurts.

Anyone that says that we lost due to inexperience, sorry not having that, that's just lazy. We made Juve dig deeper than they have since they lost the final last year. This is Juve we are talking about, a European giant in the game.

We are a terrific side, we lost our first CL match this year tonight. We are a side other CL teams will now dread to play, just as those that will go into the last 16 will not want to play Juve. We are competing, we are at the level to go toe to toe with the best sides in Europe. We have not been out played once in 6 games by Real Madrid, Juve or BVB. I've watched English teams lose year after year whilst getting their arses spanked or go out with a whimper, like City last year. Tonight we have lost our first game in nearly 3 months by the smallest of margins.

Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, nothing but pride and admiration. We all wanted to see how we would stack up against the best in Europe, I think we are in excellent shape and have proven that against Europes best we can compete.

Son (MoTM), Davies, Dier, Eriksen, Dele and Kane were magnificent tonight.

Up The Spurs.

Last edited:
I’m at work watching the match and we’re up 1 nil at the half. My boss pulls me into his office and gives an impromptu meeting for an hour. I come back to an interview with Dybala and then the score pops up 2-1 defeat. What the fuck!!! In full Spurs gear so everyone is like “oh that’s too bad what happened” or “oh I’m sorry about your team”. I just want to kick them all in the face. Bournemouth can’t come soon enough.

I think the most gutting thing about going out is that, while league results have certainly turned upwards as of late, it seemed in the group campaign that the club was bringing something extra to European nights. Just felt like that magical run was there to be had...to have it snuffed out so harshly in quick fire fashion, that’s what hurts.

At the end of day I think it comes back to a seasons old (many season, actually - back to Harry) complaint that we just aren’t clinical enough on the cutting edge. It feels like ages since Spurs lost a match where we were trounced, never had the shots. Seems we always have all the stats, possession, chances, crosses, set pieces, shots...but forever seem to be pulling teeth to get goals.

And I’m well aware how oxymoronic that sounds with a going on 3 time consecutive golden boot winner in the squad and Son scoring so much these days. And whether the numbers bare that out or not, I’m certain I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Very, very proud of this team. Gutted to have gone out as we were the better team in both legs, so it hurts.

Anyone that says that we lost due to inexperience, sorry not having that, that's just lazy. We made Juve dig deeper than they have since they last the final last year. This is Juve we are talking about, a European giant in the game.

We are a terrific side, we lost our first CL match this year tonight. We are a side other CL teams will now dread to play, just as those that will go into the last 16 will not want to play Juve. We are competing, we are at the level to go toe to toe with the best sides in Europe. We have not been out played once in 6 games by Real Madrid, Juve or BVB. I've watched English teams lose year after year whilst getting their arses spanked or go out with a whimper, like City last year. Tonight we have lost our first game in nearly 3 months by the smallest of margins.

Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, nothing but pride and admiration. We all wanted to see how we would stack up against the best in Europe, I think we are in excellent shape and have proven that against Europes best we can compete.

Son (MoTM), Davies, Dier, Eriksen, Dele and Kane were magnificent tonight.

Up The Spurs.
SnarlingMeatyHousefly-size_restricted.gif

Lets put this into perspective, finalist last year, and we out played them for most of the ties, and are gutted to go out, its progress and we all should be proud of the boys, lets not do a woolwich and meltdown, we are far classier than that. Sadly at this level fine margins are costly, and we can't even switch off for a minute, the team will all learn from this, but there should be no scapegoats, cos we were oh so close.

Anyone else see the juve fans who thought it would be a good idea to celebrate in the home end get cleaned out? :dembelelol:
They had a whole row in 518. Some showed respect, some cheered too much.
The ones higher up got told to sit down is all.
Three of them got shouted down and threatened so they left at 70 min.

As much as the players need to learn a few things from this, so does the manager. Poch was done tactically by Allegri tonight. They changed it up midway through that second half and suddenly overwhelmed us in the wide positions, and we were knocked off balance completely. With 20 minutes to go, I feel like Poch could have tried to do more and quicker to respond. I know Allegri has more to work with in his squad, but I still think there was a distinct gap in tactical nous out there; we were full of excitement and hope, but they were more clever and calculated.

We are currently a team who often need like 20 chances to win a game, we need to become a team who can win on 1 or 2 chances. That's the next step.
Agree whole heartedly with that last paragraph. We create so many chances in games we aught to be thumping teams week in week out like City have been.

We’re progressing all the time and I think that’s the missing element atm. We dominate almost every game no matter what level of opposition we play. We just need to be more ruthless/clinical.

Lets put this into perspective, finalist last year, and we out played them for most of the ties, and are gutted to go out, its progress and we all should be proud of the boys, lets not do a woolwich and meltdown, we are far classier than that. Sadly at this level fine margins are costly, and we can't even switch off for a minute, the team will all learn from this, but there should be no scapegoats, cos we were oh so close.
You’re kidding yourself mate. We blew ourselves out of the water. We threw that match away.

Back
Top Bottom