Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United (AWAY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WILL WE WIN?

• Total voters
It's not as if we are predictable though.For example, I thought our fullbacks were incredibly disciplined last night, can't really remember seeing Walker or Rose bombing forward as much as usual, they weren't leaving much space behind them, areas where the opposition usually target. Against West Brom and Stoke our fullbacks seemed to spend more time in the opposition half than their own.
Is it tactical brilliance or just players finding their energy for the game. For example , at times it seems to me that Lennon comes inside and attacks down the middle. It looks a deliberate to me? I agree about the full backs, we now have a solid back 4 with a world class keeper.

The Lloris incident is tricky. It's true if an outfield player went in like that it's a foul normally, though the ref might play on. Not usually inside the box though. But goalkeepers do literally play by different rules, and are allowed all sorts of licence that outfield players aren't.

The other way round, I want a penalty, but as we know we are owed a few decisions up at OT, and by Webb in particular.

For me it was a stone wall peno.

But as you said, Webb is repaying us (obviously not intentionally)! So :dude:

I thought his comments (on this and the match in general) showed a few things to be honest, though its likely Im reading into things!

He seemed like a man on the edge, very agitated. Id suggest the pressure is getting to him massively (either that or he is completely deluded).

He doesnt have the aura Fergie did. The Young incident I think was called correctly, but could also see it given. At OT in the past that was a 100% penalty, no question at all.

Instead, Young who is a known diver got judged as such. OT has lost its sparkle.

Also, they have lost 4 there this season already (6 over all, they lost only 5 all last season). People are going to OT knowing they can go for it...

Ferguson's intimidation of refs was worth 6-12 points a season imo, Webb would've given that for fear that Ferguson would ruin his career if he didn't...

The Lloris incident is tricky. It's true if an outfield player went in like that it's a foul normally, though the ref might play on. Not usually inside the box though. But goalkeepers do literally play by different rules, and are allowed all sorts of licence that outfield players aren't.

The other way round, I want a penalty, but as we know we are owed a few decisions up at OT, and by Webb in particular.
My observation on this…..
NO pen. The ball was played before any contact (which was two players coming together). Lloris was committed with Young already having played the ball.
Welbeck dived , BIG time. Minimal contact, could have stayed on his feet..DIVE (cheat).
Tackle by Rose on Januzaj, foul. Although he was looking for it by colliding (got away with this one).
Ref had a good game and didn't get bullied. I guess Ferguson has returned the pictures with the ref/hooker, now that his retired?

I disagree but am interested to hear why you think this
It was a loose ball really, both young and lloris felt they could get to it and we're both entitled to go for. Had lloris not gone for it, young would have been free with time and space on the edge of the box and could have picked out a pass and probably would have conceded.

By rushing out, lloris has given young a choice to make. Had he tried to take the ball Down, and lloris come in like that, then it's a definite pen. However, young tried to cross, which is what 99 percent of players would do in that Situation. Which considering we had Dawson perfectly placed to mop up was not a problem.
Also, lloris didn't go in dangerously, as soon as he realised he wasn't favourite to get the ball he pulled out of the challenge. Only his momentum kept him going and on a wet pitch that's unavoidable.
There was no clear goalscoring opportunity being denied. Also young fully anticipated the Challenge from lloris. In fact it was vital to him being able to cross the ball into an almost unguarded net. By crossing the ball over, and jumping out the way, Ashley young made it evident he was perfectly aware of the situation and Therefore could have no complaints with the outcome. He was entitled to not go for the ball.
I also think that, had Ashley young had slightly longer to think about it, he would have maybe tried to draw the foul, win a dodgy pen
But for me, never a foul. Young had the advantage and he played the ball.

Love the commentary on MotD talking about how "It's not going to take much to make Welbeck go down at that speed" and how Januzaj "can't be blamed" for going down under pressure from Rose

Is that so? Seem to recall a certain Welshman getting tripped and clipped at speed repeatedly over the last 2 seasons only to be branded a cheat on the same format.

Ahh, the other chestnut I forgot - "you know nothing about me"!

So what did you tell me? Nothing.

You quoted my post, just as you always do, not the other way round. Oh, and don't make snap judgements about my pride because.....well......you know nothing about me! lol ;) :harrylol:
good, now you've got that out of your system - fuck off and put me on ignore.
I'm fed up of dealing with (arguably) the worlds most pompous and egotistical jerk.
And I KNOW you nothing about me, every bit of your analysis is as specious and inaccurate as your misbegotten footballing views.
I responded to your post about me, if you don't want me to - then stop posting your feeble attempts at character assassination.

Im amazed that considering our dip, poor performances, losing points at home, being crap, sacking AVB, and top four winning every week. We are only 3 points off top 4. Let's hope we can keep this form up. My only fear is TS is unable to change things when the oppersistion works us out. That's when we will know how good he and we are. Tim, live long and prosper. COYS

Transitional Crisis season, innit!

Love the commentary on MotD talking about how "It's not going to take much to make Welbeck go down at that speed" and how Januzaj "can't be blamed" for going down under pressure from Rose

Is that so? Seem to recall a certain Welshman getting tripped and clipped at speed repeatedly over the last 2 seasons only to be branded a cheat on the same format.

That had me seething - what a load of rubbish.
His a diving cheat with form - call it how it is.
Fair play to Hargreaves btw, called him out for being what he is - a diving cheat.

good, now you've got that out of your system - fuck off and put me on ignore.
I'm fed up of dealing with (arguably) the worlds most pompous and egotistical jerk.
And I KNOW you nothing about me, every bit of your analysis is as specious and inaccurate as your misbegotten footballing views.
I responded to your post about me, if you don't want me to - then stop posting your feeble attempts at character assassination.

Michaellllllllll! ...what did we say???
No one should start the New Year THIS angry... (and believe me, I've tried!!)

I take it you SAW the result?? Shouldn't that buy at least 24 hours of 'faux' contentment and blurry-eyed happiness... impervious to what anyone says... be it perceived goading, self-inflicted, or misinterpretation, or whatever...

Maybe I live in a misty-dewy-eyed world where everyone gets on... I know that's not the case... the meltdowns after a 6-goal spanking told me as much... but NOT when we've just won away at Man Utd... AGAIN! Regardless of the gung-ho tactics, the risky substitutes, the 'ole-ing' on 42 mins... just enjoy the fact that NONE of it came back to bite us in the same game (let's face it, BRAD coulda been facing an 88th minute penalty to make it 2-2 in an alternate universe!)
...just enjoy the fucking occasion for once... save up your bile and any remaining vitriol for Saturday night... I have an awful feeling it'll come in handy then!

No personal offence meant of course, this isn't just at you Mick... it's at all the bickerers...
I guess I'm just from the Roy Walker academy of 'Say what you see'... I saw us win yesterday, and as terrible as that may be to admit... i'm pretty darn happy about it!!!

Last edited:
Michaellllllllll! ...what did we say???
No one should start the New Year THIS angry... (and believe me, I've tried!!)

I take it you SAW the result?? Shouldn't that buy at least 24 hours of 'faux' contentment and blurry-eyed happiness... impervious to what anyone says... be it perceived goading, self-inflicted, or misinterpretation, or whatever...

Maybe I live in a misty-dewy-eyed world where everyone gets on... I know that's not the case... the meltdowns after a 6-goal spanking told me as much... but NOT when we've just won away at Man Utd... AGAIN! Regardless of the gung-ho tactics, the risky substitutes, the 'ole-ing' on 42 mins... just enjoy the fact that NONE of it came back to bite us in the same game (let's face it, BRAD coulda been facing an 88th minute penalty to make it 2-2 in an alternate universe!)
...just enjoy the fucking occasion for once... save up your bile and any remaining vitriol for Saturday night... I have an awful feeling it'll come in handy then!

No personal offence meant of course, this isn't just at you Mick... it's at all the bickerers...
I guess I'm just from the Roy Walker academy of 'Say what you see'!!
I agree with you, life is too short to waste on perennial negative people.

It was a loose ball really, both young and lloris felt they could get to it and we're both entitled to go for. Had lloris not gone for it, young would have been free with time and space on the edge of the box and could have picked out a pass and probably would have conceded.

By rushing out, lloris has given young a choice to make. Had he tried to take the ball Down, and lloris come in like that, then it's a definite pen. However, young tried to cross, which is what 99 percent of players would do in that Situation. Which considering we had Dawson perfectly placed to mop up was not a problem.
Also, lloris didn't go in dangerously, as soon as he realised he wasn't favourite to get the ball he pulled out of the challenge. Only his momentum kept him going and on a wet pitch that's unavoidable.
There was no clear goalscoring opportunity being denied. Also young fully anticipated the Challenge from lloris. In fact it was vital to him being able to cross the ball into an almost unguarded net. By crossing the ball over, and jumping out the way, Ashley young made it evident he was perfectly aware of the situation and Therefore could have no complaints with the outcome. He was entitled to not go for the ball.
I also think that, had Ashley young had slightly longer to think about it, he would have maybe tried to draw the foul, win a dodgy pen
But for me, never a foul. Young had the advantage and he played the ball.

See none of this really convinces me that it wasn't a penalty. Yes he got his cross in first but then the tackle by lloris was late and in the box. Do different rules apply for keepers I don know?
To me it was a 50-50 that lloris lost and then committed a foul in the process.
The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't a clear goal scoring chance but I didn't think that applied for penalties just red cards for fouls in the box.
I've seen it again just now on mOtd and I still maintain we got lucky with that decision

Give a shit though :dude:

See none of this really convinces me that it wasn't a penalty. Yes he got his cross in first but then the tackle by lloris was late and in the box. Do different rules apply for keepers I don know?
To me it was a 50-50 that lloris lost and then committed a foul in the process.
The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't a clear goal scoring chance but I didn't think that applied for penalties just red cards for fouls in the box.
I've seen it again just now on mOtd and I still maintain we got lucky with that decision

Give a shit though :dude:

I just honestly don't see how was a foul.
Foul implies a bad challenge and lloris pulled out of the challenge

Back
Top Bottom