Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United (AWAY)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WILL WE WIN?

• Total voters
First time Ive been impressed with Sherwood, and it wasnt for the result (which is of course amazing).

West Ham I thought was a comedy, absolutely shocking
SCBC I thought was a good result but no real improvement on West Ham performance wise, had to watch it from behind my hands
WBA I didnt see, but reading up on it seems it was hardly inspiring stuff
Stoke was a good performance, but hard to judge considering Stoke are shite. It was at least positive, more controlled and still with the attacking intent.

Yesterday took us a while to get going, but from about 20 minutes to 70 I thought we were outstanding. The movement in the team was excellent, top quality stuff, and the attack looks like it can score every time it moves up the field. We have always been good counter attacking, and at the moment look superb - While defensively we rode our luck a little at times but it was luck well earned.

The last 20 minutes, effort and gusto aside, I wasnt so impressed - and Im glad Sherwood said as much in his post match comments.

I thought taking Capoue off was a bad decision (assuming it wasnt based upon injury), given it was inevitable they would come at us and he was doing an excellent job in breaking things up. I also thought that with Utd loading their attack at the expense of defence he could be the key in winning the ball and hitting them on the break as he releases the ball so well.

The Chadli sub I thought was fair, and while bringing Kane on always looked strange Soldado must have been wrecked from all the work he put in (and as our only fit striker he does need protecting). Bentaleb was the only one that bothered me, and while he did well for himself it was clear taking Capoue off would ceed territory to a Utd team looking to take it.

Ive been pretty strong in my views about Sherwoods performances so far, so its only fair I compliment where its due.

I thought he did bloody well today. I loved that he has balanced out the team more, introduced Capoue but not lost any attacking impetus. Its the first time we have looked like a "complete" team under him, not grossly lacking in one way or another (while there is still obviously plenty to work on). I also liked his attitude post match, he clearly wants more and more from this lot, and it seems they all enjoy playing for him.

Im looking forward to the Woolwich game now, I was dreading it 24 hours ago

Great summation of what I saw yesterday.

The Subs were woeful. Just an observation

Chadli and Kane were fine for me, Capoue was the only one I disagreed with - and thats based on the idea it was by choice rather than forced.

By the time Kane came on Soldado had put in a major shift and was the only fit striker we had. Kane also offers a little more hold up/link play. I thought it was a sensible enough move given the bench/squad situation.

Chadli is a big guy and was clearly told to play with Soldado, the only alternative would have been Lamela and either was fine with me. Ade being injured forced the issue, so its not like Tim was tinkering.

Im amazed that considering our dip, poor performances, losing points at home, being crap, sacking AVB, and top four winning every week. We are only 3 points off top 4. Let's hope we can keep this form up. My only fear is TS is unable to change things when the oppersistion works us out. That's when we will know how good he and we are. Tim, live long and prosper. COYS
we're only 2 points off top 4. but we'd have to win our next game by at least 24 goals. :-D

And yet at the end of the season GD is almost always a consideration...
Hi Lister, well as has been debated before, we have never once lost a CL place on GD, it's always been points. Indeed AFAIK no team has ever lost a CL spot on GD, points are wayyyyy more important, and they are always the main focus of consideration.

GD is an irrelevance to us this season, it's all about points for us hereon in.

It's probably already been mentioned, but . Just saw moyes on TV talking about lloris on young incident . I thought that was actually great goalkeeping and definitely not a penalty

Spurs players celebrating on Old Trafford great victory
Now let's party!

english version:

or romanian version

Vlad: "wait for me,lads! let's party now!"
1ovi.jpg

Hi Lister, well as has been debated before, we have never once lost a CL place on GD, it's always been points. Indeed AFAIK no team has ever lost a CL spot on GD, points are wayyyyy more important, and they are always the main focus of consideration.

GD is an irrelevance to us this season, it's all about points for us hereon in.

Points are of course more important, Im just saying - when it comes down to it GD is always a factor in peoples thinking. Traditionally places 3 or 4 to 6 are so tightly contested it is quite conceivable GD can be the difference between Champions League and EUROPA League.

It is also a pretty useful barometer of how a team is performing aside from results.

We have seen many times in the past poor teams scraping results against the run of play for a while, so while they look good we all know they will falter - while the good teams get results and positive GD consistently to show they score more than conceed regularly.

While I agree with you its certainly not the be all and end all, there are more important things - I also thin GD is important in its own right. Enough that it shouldnt be dismissed anyway.

It's probably already been mentioned, but . Just saw moyes on TV talking about lloris on young incident . I thought that was actually great goalkeeping and definitely not a penalty

I thought his comments (on this and the match in general) showed a few things to be honest, though its likely Im reading into things!

He seemed like a man on the edge, very agitated. Id suggest the pressure is getting to him massively (either that or he is completely deluded).

He doesnt have the aura Fergie did. The Young incident I think was called correctly, but could also see it given. At OT in the past that was a 100% penalty, no question at all.

Instead, Young who is a known diver got judged as such. OT has lost its sparkle.

Also, they have lost 4 there this season already (6 over all, they lost only 5 all last season). People are going to OT knowing they can go for it...

Points are of course more important, Im just saying - when it comes down to it GD is always a factor in peoples thinking. Traditionally places 3 or 4 to 6 are so tightly contested it is quite conceivable GD can be the difference between Champions League and EUROPA League.

It is also a pretty useful barometer of how a team is performing aside from results.

We have seen many times in the past poor teams scraping results against the run of play for a while, so while they look good we all know they will falter - while the good teams get results and positive GD consistently to show they score more than conceed regularly.

While I agree with you its certainly not the be all and end all, there are more important things - I also thin GD is important in its own right. Enough that it shouldnt be dismissed anyway.
Fair enough, I think it's way overrated, and as I say, it never has been the difference for ANY ENGLISH team between CL and EL/UEFA. (AFAIK)

Points are wayyyyyy more important, and this season GD is an irrelevance for us.

The Lloris incident is tricky. It's true if an outfield player went in like that it's a foul normally, though the ref might play on. Not usually inside the box though. But goalkeepers do literally play by different rules, and are allowed all sorts of licence that outfield players aren't.

The other way round, I want a penalty, but as we know we are owed a few decisions up at OT, and by Webb in particular.

Back
Top Bottom