Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

if we had enough players then we need to be kicked out and fined
Fined? No.
It was an exceptional situational, if the PL can show some pragmatism then not unreasonable to expect similar from the corrupt thieves at UEFA….. I agree with the result being awarded to Rennes but no way should we be further punished

We don’t know the effects COVID is having on the positive players yet. They may have no symptoms or may be really ill. The problem for us is the up coming schedule. Couldn’t have happened at a worse time so this competition now is more irrelevant.

Either way we will get a 0-3 loss awarded and that will be it. I understand the comments about us winning cups etc. but at this point the squad longer term health is more important. In my opinion anyway.

We don’t know the effects COVID is having on the positive players yet. They may have no symptoms or may be really ill. The problem for us is the up coming schedule. Couldn’t have happened at a worse time so this competition now is more irrelevant.

Either way we will get a 0-3 loss awarded and that will be it. I understand the comments about us winning cups etc. but at this point the squad longer term health is more important. In my opinion anyway.
We know at least some of the players are asymptomatic - or at least one can infer it from Conte's interview the other day.

Btw: we will all get this over the next month.

I can't believe UEFA didn't think this through beforehand, given the current state of affairs. The 13 player rule is fine in ordinary times but this is the covid era when rules need adjusting in business and politics on a weekly, daily and even hourly basis.

Anybody with half a brain can see that you can't send a club which has had an outbreak like we've experienced into a game because the number of infected are unknown. What is known is that covid is very contagious and can have an impact of things like heart health. If you don't know which members of your squad are infected for sure, are you really going to want to send any of them out to play a strenuous 90 minute match in the cold? If purely for legal reasons that's mental.

Then there's protecting others from outside the club from getting covid. If all clubs took a cavalier attitude to it, it would rip through teams in no time. We did the right thing.

Points docked and out of the competition? I'm personally not too bothered.

Fined for not fielding a squad for the match? I'd fight that tooth and nail if I was the club. There's not a court in Europe that would back UEFA.

However it pans out, I think Spurs acted thoughtfully, properly and bravely. Their clear and rational decision to say 'we can't play this game', definitely prevented fans from wasting a great deal of time, effort and money. It will also have prevented others from contracting Covid.

However it pans out, I think Spurs acted thoughtfully, properly and bravely. Their clear and rational decision to say 'we can't play this game', definitely prevented fans from wasting a great deal of time, effort and money. It will also have prevented others from contracting Covid.
But it also prevented UEFA from contracting more cash...

The problem with that is we are not allowed to be drawn against Leicester but Vitesse are, how do they get around that?
Great point!
Way around it could be to do the draw without the Spurs/Vitesse ball and keep fingers crossed!
Edit: Or put in all the teams except Leicester and Spurs and draw one team.
Then put that team and Leicester into the bag to decide home and away.
Then put Spurs and all the other teams in the bag to complete the draw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom