TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. WEST BROMWICH ALBION

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They're going to park the bus so i'd go with

hugo
Dier Sanchez Jan
Trippier Winks Davies
Dele Eriksen
Kane Llorente

having both Kane and Llorente in the box to receive the crosses by Trippier, Davies, and Eriksen could break them down

I'm in no mood for Charity or "Spursiness" in this one... a win... a convincing win... no mercy.
Go all out, full strength and let's IMPOSE ourselves on this fucking League!

Any decent streams lads?
peeing-statue-gif.gif

Really glad I rushed back for that. How many more times are we going to let these boring shit teams take points?

How the fuck did Ben Foster not get booked until near the end? he was time wasting from the 4th minute. Not the first time he's done that to us.

Imagine having to pay hard earnt money to watch that shit week in week out..

well, that was a disappointment but sort of expected. Once they scored so early, it was obvious that they were going to put eleven players behind the ball. Foster was time wasting from the kick off - what was the point of the ref waiting until the 80th minute to caution him, should have done it earlier.
We only really got going in the second half once The Moose came on. Ref was awful. West Brom summed up perfectly when they lined up 10 men in the wall when we got a free kick on the edge of the box. Suppose have to see this as a point saved, considering how flat we were.
On a lighter note, my friend and I nearly found ourselves locked inside the stadium - now that would have seriously pissed me off!!

Poch knew what we were going to be up against, hence a very attacking line up (only having Winks as DM). Absolutely woeful goal to concede, I can't help but look at Lloris on this as I've seen passbacks hit with more pace, if you are going to cover your near post, which he did, then there is only one place the ball is likely to go, he just stood there, not sure I've seen a more WTF goal (flukes aside).

First 15 mins we were really, really poor, it was very easy for WBA. Thought we began to compete more after that but we were moving the ball way to slow. Biggest reason for this we actually pushed too many players too high, all with backs towards goal, meaning ball inevitably came backwards as nowhere to go. (Space was found 2nd half with Dembele, Eriksen, Kane and Son all finding space deeper, then committing oppo players carrying ball into the space in front of them, drawing out WBA (only a couple of players mind, so still tough), but this is where the space started to appear.

The second reason is our Wingbacks, yesterday was Davies worst game in a Spurs shirt, will not lay into him though as he's been nothing short of superb covering Rose and playing without any break in one of the most demanding of rolls for a year now (he was poor in the last game he played too, so hoping he's not carrying an injury or something). As for Tripps it was a woeful display from a championship level player, yes I have confirmation bias with him, I do try to praise him when he has a good game to give some balance but I think that has only happened in what 2, no more than 3 games since we singed him, he's shit. In games where the oppo put in a low block the fullbacks are so important to stretching the defence, but this requires an FB who can take on their opposing number 1v1, Davies isn't great at going on the outside but has been highly impressive going inside, this commits one of their players and if we have movement from say Son overlapping means space for Son or if defender closes Son's overlap down, it still means they have committed a defender improving the chance of space to appear, only if you move the ball quickly. I'd also back Son 1v1 against most defenders. Tripps can't do either, so the ball gets lumped into the box where there are 8 defenders and a keeper, so easy to defend against. BTW when teams sit deep, I've no problem with a cross comming into the box even if it's going to be defended easily as this shows some variety and keeps defence on their toes as difficult to know what to expect but that is all you are going to get from Tripps, he's a piece of piss to defend against.

Odd people are giving Llorente a hard time, he was very good when he came on, gave us another dimension too by allowing us to be a tad more direct, more vertical with a deeper ball played to him which he either held up and laid it off well, or on several occasions he laid the ball off with just one touch beautifully, he also put their defence under pressure causing them to scramble the ball out only as far as another Spurs player. Which leads me to the 3rd most disappointing part to out game, we didn't press there defence, there was no pressure on them to clear their lines, it was too easy. The only person that was working hard off the ball for us was Dele, Kane, Eriksen without the ball were listless, where this is something we know they excel at, why is the very make-up of our side.

Frustrating as fuck, but completely and utterly predictable. We have only beaten them twice in the last 7 games. Despite the areas I mentioned above where we could have done a lot better, we still created more than enough chances to win this game comfortably. If all they need is 2 fucking chances to score from, then why not us too?! There is only one team in the league that could have done better than against a side that is going to sit deep and that's City. Man U beat Brighton by a deflected own goal and created far less than we did today, we only needed one of our 23 shots to have been deflected and we would at least all be saying it's what we deserved out of the game. Liverpool would have lost, Woolwich would have lost or drawn (I'd go with them drawing as they are resting their entire first 11 for Europa so have a freshness and an energy to their side that i haven't seen in the past 5yrs). Chelsea are less consistent than us this season but are probably the closest to us right now.

Thought Poch was very brave with his subs too, from what was an already attacking line-up (FB's aside), his subs were high risk especially taking off Vertonghen.

Son was excellent today, need a couple more of our players to be able to go 1v1 against oppo and commit and turn them.

Last edited:
completely blew it today, dreadful

We can only play one way, or at least we only seem to want to play one way. Dembele was a big improvement once he came on but could have done with him much sooner and further forward. Other than that we have no width and pace in games like this, we need players who can take defenders on and make them make rash challenges in the box, face their own goal, give us the opportunity to get in behind and set up a single tap in. I am confident Poch will get there eventually but this is a longstanding issue in games like these.

He was an anticlimax at the time. Since then we’ve all tried to rationalise the signing. Now i’m Simply calling it a shite transfer

No one expects the backup or alternative to Kane to be Ronaldo or Messi.

But given the fact that we have scouts , coaches and a manager of a multi, multi million pound football enterprise, I would expect the end result of their combined expensive football expertise to throw up more than a has been fucking mercenary whose legs have clearly gone.

But maybe that's just me.

You dont have to plough through anything you deluded old fool. You choose to. There are no serial whiners. Just supporters with diffferent opinions. Its a fucking football forum
The choice is yours
You are the epitome of serial whiner!
I may be older than you - but I'm no fool, I see you for exactly what you are!

I didn't say I read everything. When I walk my dog I have to negotiate my way past all kinds of shit- horse shit, cow shit, fox shit, deer shit and dog shit. I don't have to stop and taste them, or even smell them, I know shit when I see it.
I've seen enough of your posts to know I'm now an expert in recognising it.

The fa need to discipline the ref mike jones, appalling to let the time wasting go on like that, Ben foster even stalling the ball boy from doing his job. A really bad example to all the worldwide paying tv viewers of the premier league (that’s all the fa are interested in)

Let’s be honest the refereeing standard across the whole league is fucking terrible.

Back
Top Bottom