Tottenham v Everton - Sunday September 13, 4:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's the thing though, isn't it. Hojbjerg and Doherty are Mourinho signings. Mourinho clearly thought he could come in an win with the current squad. At this point the inevitable Mourinho flame out is probably better than not for the club, which is not something I thought I'd say last November.
We will be lucky if it just happens quickly and cleanly so that we can get over it and move on. Utd fans were praying for him to leave for 18 months, it dragged on for months and months.

However it seems here his process is being accelerated, the team is putting in the kind of performances that Utd did in his 3rd year there, and he didn’t really start going at pogba and martial until his 3rd year either, where as he has already started with Ndombele and seemed to be blaming the players today.

Im hoping these are signs that this will be over soon.

Bergwijn over Moura all day long for me! Moura is great as an impact sub late in games
Moura is very poor he always seems to react to any situation he is in a couple of seconds too late.
His goals and assists in 2020 are a disgrace for any attacking player.
Having said that he was no worse today than any attacking player we had on the pitch

Gold's ratings.

Hugo Lloris
Richarlison rounded him early on but fortunately for Spurs fired over the bar from a tight angle. Couldn't do anything about Calvert-Lewin's powerful headed goal. Made a couple of comfortable saves after that. 6

Matt Doherty

Should have had a debut goal just before the break after playing a one-two with Kane. Did get forward as much as he would have like. A solid debut but not much more. 6

Toby Alderweireld

Showed his lack of pace by almost taking out Richarlison as he attempted to get to Davies' misplaced first half pass. Didn't even get off the floor as Calvert-Lewin powered home a header early in the second half. 4

Eric Dier

Turned too easily by Calvert-Lewin a couple of times and sloppy at times in possession in the second half. Also nowhere near the Everton striker for the goal. 5

Ben Davies

Terrible overhit pass to put Richarlison through after 16 minutes and was fortunate to get away with it. Some very sloppy play at times and little quality going forward. 4

Harry Winks

Worked hard in the anchor man role but alongside Hojbjerg it was just too defensive a pairing and he came off after the hour mark. 5

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

He likes to kick people does the Dane. Picked up a yellow card for crunching late tackle on Richarlison. A busy performance but he couldn't really impact the game and his passing was off at times. 5

Lucas Moura

Works so hard and put Spurs away with a great break after the half hour mark which should have ended in a goal but his quality on the ball other than that was poor. His control lets him down so much though when Tottenham need him to hold the ball. 4

Dele Alli

Put through on goal by Kane but choose to pass to nobody instead of shooting. Forced Pickford into a save not too long after. Huffed and puffed without much end product and came off at the break. 4

Son Heung-min

Sent in a tantalising cross that Kane was inches away from in the first half hour before having his own shot blocked in front of goal. Set up Dele for a chance on 34 minutes which perhaps would have been better had the ball been passed to Kane. Was anonymous in the second half. 5

Harry Kane

Suffered from a lack of service yet again but set up Doherty for a chance with a delightful chipped pass. He sees so little of the ball it's criminal. A low score but that's not really his fault. 4

Subs:
Moussa Sissoko

Came on at the break and started off as a right winger before moving infield with Winks' exit and then became a right wing-back of sorts late on. Worked hard with little end product. 5

Steven Bergwijn

Had some bright moments when he came on but couldn't find the final ball. 5

Tanguy Ndombele

Almost felt like he was trying to be too disciplined after coming on rather than doing the things that make him stand out in a good way. 5

The lack of pace at the back worries me. I am surprised to have a Toby and Dier pairing. If Jose is going to play both of them, then it would be best to have a back three with Davinson.

This link about Dele has one line in it that sums up the game perfectly

Despite playing Kane with three different strike partners throughout the match, Spurs failed to create consistent chances and eventually fell to a 1-0 defeat with a whimper.

Embarrassing really.

Not lost to Everton at home since when? 2008 or so?
Everton haven't won away at a big 6 side since when? In about 60 games?

And the serial winner we have in charge not only has us losing to them, but playing bang average.

Bang average??

You’re being kind!

I think we were poor in the first half, though we should have ended in front. And I think our performance in the second half was unacceptable.

Jose made the wrong choice at half-time and deserves the blame today.

However, I´d like to talk about two players: Eric Dier and Delle Alli.

Alli basically interrupted our best way to hurt teams in the final period of last season - counter attacking football. He is not sharp enough and I don´t think he is a very intelligent player overall. If I´m right, he won´t be starting another Premier League match anytime soon.

Eric Dier starts because Jose likes him very much - again, something to blame Mourinho today. It´s obvious to me that our best CB partnership is Toby-Sanchez. "Dier is good in the air", they say. Well, he made big mistakes in the last two goals we conceded (today and against Palace, in July). Both set pieces, both in the air.

There were others, of course. Winks and Hojbjerg had a bad game - especially Winks. And everybody else had a terrible second half.

Toby’s lack of pace is a huge problem

He should have reached that brain fart ball from Davies first half but failed

As for Davies nice lad and all that but Championship at best

Toby’s lack of pace is a huge problem

He should have reached that brain fart ball from Davies first half but failed

As for Davies nice lad and all that but Championship at best
I know Toby is not fast, but he is still the best CB we got - which is why he needs to be protected. In the system we play, the 'protected' CB is the LCB - today, Eric Dier. He played with a defensive FB on his left, and another defender on his right - Toby. This was the mistake: Toby should be the LCB and the defender on his right should be Sanchez - the fastest defender we got. Also, in possession, the LCB basically becomes the central defender in a back 3, which suits Toby's beautiful long passes.

Are you serious? This is our major honours....
  • Football League Champions: 1950/1951, 1960/1961
  • The FA Cup Winners: 1900/1901, 1920/1921, 1960/1961, 1961/1962, 1966/1967, 1980/1981, 1981/1982, 1990/1991
  • Football League Cup Winners: 1970/1971, 1972/1973, 1998/1999, 2007/2008
  • European Cup-Winners Cup Winners: 1962/1963
  • UEFA Cup Winners: 1971/1972, 1983/1984
  • Football League Division Two Champions: 1919/1920, 1949/1950
  • FA Charity Shield Winners: 1920/1921, 1951/1952, 1961/1962, 1962/1963, 1967/1968 (joint), 1981/1982 (joint), 1991/1992 (joint)
As much of a Spurs fan I am, I am a fucking realist. "in the history of the game" go take a shite.

I like the way you included the start and end year for each season to make it look like we've won twice as many trophies.

:mourthumb:

Back
Top Bottom