Tottenham Vs Brighton - Tues 23rd April 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brighton are just terrible. At least Cardiff have a go. If Brighton are so terrified to even bother to get out of their own half how do they expect to survive. It's almost a free game when they play the top 6 so just have a go and you never know... I thought they were pathetic. Just stay in the championship if u have no interest in actually playing a game..

excellent post,stats are a load of bollocks
stats can show you things, but they are not simple, we put in XX crosses last night but we had 1 sometimes 2 attackers against 5 defenders so the crossing stat proves what ? Possession around the halfway line can be holding on to the ball, or it could be waiting to create space beyond their defence

Brighton are just terrible. At least Cardiff have a go. If Brighton are so terrified to even bother to get out of their own half how do they expect to survive. It's almost a free game when they play the top 6 so just have a go and you never know... I thought they were pathetic. Just stay in the championship if u have no interest in actually playing a game..
no their not terrible they lie many teams will defend and hope to be 0-0 or 1-0 down going into the last 10 mins then hope to get a breakaway and nick the game or at least keep 0-0, down to us to have the ideas to break them down and get 2 goals early that then causes them probelms 1-0 is not enough as there game plan is still ok no point chasing the game until last 1o mins

Cos I think it's massively hypocritical for people like you to celebrate the team's successes after dishing out abuse all game. You spent the match slagging off the team and, to top it off, you just referred to yourself in the third person. That should be an automatic red card! :)
Dishing out abuse? slagging off the team? that's quite an exaggeration.

Completely agree. It’s looking more and more like last season was a very purple season for him and this is his par. Same goes for Davies. We need to sign the Palace lad and Sessengnon.

No. Same doesn't go for Davies. Ben's reliable, consistent and can play 2 positions well.... Oh, and has better crossing ability than Rose.

Vs Sessengon; who has struggled all season????

No thanks.

Well that was fun. Nothing like a last minute winner.

Picked up a ticket in the shelf side safe standing.
Second half ended up with 5 people squeezed into 3 seats which was better than it sounds.
Good banter and proper celebrating when we scored.
Definitely going to pick a ticket up there again.

Missing Saturday but really can’t wait for next Tuesday night.

Also bumped into Thelonious Thelonious in beavertown.
Like meeting TFC royalty.... didn’t buy him a beer though. In retrospect bad manners on my behalf. I will owe you a beer T.
was good seeing you albeit briefly!

so what you are saying in effect is that we should ignore

all of his misplaced passes
His massive drop in ability to take free kicks
His almost total inability to hit a corner either;
- past the first defender on the near edge of the 6 yard box
- Or even get it into the middle of the 6 yard box at a headable height
His recently acquired habit of trying shit like he did at city for their disallowed goal (which saved him a whole world of abuse)

We all know he has plenty of ability, we have seen it. We know clubs are courting him because of that ability, but are you telling me that just because of a few arcane facts that we should totally ignore the evidence of our eyes (some of us have watched a lot of football and know what influential and productive players on good form actually look like) and simply hang on to some meaningless drivel about how far he runs, or touches in the opponents half, or what heat maps show us?

I'm not some luddite that ignores facts or science and I have the evidence of my own eyes to see the massive improvements in the way the game is played, particularly with fitness and recovery of players. But people who swallow the myth of facts whole without being able to correlate them to what actually happens on a football pitch (Blakey being a prime example) are only fooling themselves.
I would rather have the Eriksen of old, who actually looked like he was influencing games and doing stuff that made us all smile and glow with pride.
And I think I'm not alone in thinking that as good as his play and goal was last night, he ain't the player he has been, and even now his team mates know it, because he doesn't take corners or free kicks any more, and we are becoming more reliant on the rest of the team to keep the momentum going.
Not that it (the other players stepping up) isn't a good thing, but it almost seems like the lads sulking about something.

He's keeping his head above water with the goals and assists - but he's having to paddle a lot harder to keep himself from drowning.
you read into my post want you want, it's not my fault that you chose to see what fits your narrative and as such also proving my point. I literally said that he's struggling but even when struggling he delivered three points, and his influence is visible time and time again. I say focus on that, you take that as a negative (thus missing the point) and try to deliver a somewhat balanced view on his performance, but as a narrative you use all the downsides in his play. You also mention heatmaps and distance run, stats that i did not mention nor refer to. I mention one approach top stats analysis and that's the only one i truly believe in : goals and how they are created (how, by whom and at whom's expense). And i will add that this stat needs to be built over a period of time, and he has done this over a considerate period of time : that's why even out of shape/form he will start games and he will be influential -> its as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Attacking midfield players need to take risks, need to try different passes, are very visible in the game and should be evaluated on their influence, last night that influence ment three points. Everything else is purely form based.

It's not black and white i agree, but the evidence of your own eyes can also be completely wrong. That's an option lots of people don't consider, that even the way you watch/memorise/analise is already so biased that it is often completely besides the point. Having watched a lot of football just proves that you had the time and the interest in the game, and that's it. I've been playing for more then 30 years, got the uefa coaching degree and been watching all my life and i still wouldn't dare to say that i understand or know the game at that level.

Having watched a lot of football doesn't make you an expert in the modern game, in a lot of cases it's even the opposite. I met some people the last few years that opened my eyes on the way players and stats are perceived and used in the modern game and as a result i've seen the error in my ways. But even professionals can be wrong (and in football often are).

I just try to keep that aspect of the game in my head, focus on the benefit a player brings, utilise him to his strenghts and celebrate the influence.

Yesterday that ment giving him the ball, letting him try things, giving him the opportunity to hammer that ball and celebrate the fact that he gave us that little bit of extra that gaves us three points.

I do still try to enjoy the finesse of the game, the little pieces of skill that make it a form of art is also important.. But that's a choice, a choice for longevity and celebration. There are other choices, and feel free to make them - as i will criticise them. Freedom of speech and all that shite

Last edited:
Didn't really notice it first half.
But the first one second half the noise started as soon as the ball went out of play for their goal kick.
Whistling is bollox, let the continentals do that.
Sometimes it’s a way of getting into the refs head mate. When he’s doing nothing about time wasting, it needs a little “reminder”.

Based on what metric?

...When's the last time he made a costly mistake?

If he is as much a liability as KT; why do oppo always target our right side?

In his near 2 years as #1 Ben proved he was good enough.

This has been categorically proven to be bollocks.

That said, I would still like to have seen KWP given a proper run of games - or at least a lot more games - this season. Even the stronger parts of Trippier's game have been very meh this season.

To stop that kind of anti-football we had to endure last night I think we have to change the points system. I'd award 1pt for a draw, 2pts for a home win and 3pts for an away. I genuinely feel that would improve the game immensely

I wouldn't want to see this happen. Sure it's infuriating when it happens but removing it or adding a solution to time wasting will remove one of the many emotions we get from football.

The frustration we feel or see others feel when someone is smart with their shithousery I wouldn't want to lose so quickly after some of the issues we face with VAR. Too much change too soon will rip the guts out of the game. A game lasts 90 minutes, that should be enough to get the job done & if it isn't, fair play to the team who wriggled their way to a point or three.

The game doesn't need independent time keepers for time wasting, it needs a higher standard of refereeing consistency. No change to the rules or anything extra implemented required.

To stop that kind of anti-football we had to endure last night I think we have to change the points system. I'd award 1pt for a draw, 2pts for a home win and 3pts for an away. I genuinely feel that would improve the game immensely

I see the theory behind what you're saying but no chance this will be good for the game. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Home games for the big teams are evolving into a grind & would have a lot more of a slugfest if this kind of thing got implemented granted but the variation in match you get to watch for me is enough. Tough one as you can't trial run such a theory anywhere but the top level where the big teams are hindered at home the most

Back
Top Bottom