Tottenham Vs Fulham - Scott Parker returns

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have even seen it explained that it is right to take 1-0 lead and then just try and defend for the rest of game, because winning 2-0 is a mistake, because it shows that by getting a second goal you didn't trust your defence to keep a clean sheet. Lunatics have taken over the asylum.

:dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: A mistake..... brilliant.

You fuck off. Jose blagged himself £15m a fucking year cos he blagged having an epic new philosophy and trolling Levy into believing he could do more with this squad.
He failed to get top 4. Got us knocked out of every cup. Failure.
Corona saved his ass and we managed to scrape Europa.
This season started AWFUL. It was so bad that Kane looked pissed off. We looked so bad under Jose that he made the tight cunt back him LOL. We've brought in like 8 or 9 players since Jose came. We still play shit.

Poch gets teams outperforming resources. Jose is a chequebook manager who gets teams often under performing their resources. Comparisons are a laugh.
Not sure you can call last season as a Jose failure at all.

And this season didn’t start awfully, unless you are just counting the first match. We were top of the league a few weeks ago.

I’ll give you something to consider:
Against City we were on the back foot, yet against Liverpool we were on the front foot.

Which game was you most satisfied with and which one was more successful?

Let’s be careful here. Because missing sitters against Liverpool doesn’t suddenly become a valid excuse just because people preferred our tactics......or because it’s easier to slag off Bergwijn than Son

Point being, you don’t determine the success of a tactic on whether the forwards fuck up at the crucial moment.
You determine it by whether we actually allowed the forwards to get into numerous clear cut chances.
And against Fulham, we did, just like we did against Liverpool.

You see it's a very valid point in asking if the same tactics are employed and yet they result in diffeent outcomes, are they as good.

Clearly there are variables such as team performance, team you are up against and aspects of fortune that come into play. You must also consider form at the time and confidence which are perceptible yet difficult to decipher..

Ultimately it's results. Very few complained when we were winning so for the majority the result trumps the performance. Certainly does with me but within the confines of some form of desperation to see success. I expect it would drift to how we play if winning was based purely on defensive solidity as opposed to more intricate and comprehensive play.

We know what Mourinho brings. It is not going to change in terms of style of football at this stage and the players he possesses are not those he trusts as much as in previous incarnations. That in part is evidenced by the team selections.
It also dictates how we play.

So you are right. We want everything and only raise our objections when we fail to win or secure a result that we do not believe is acceptable.

Mourinho needs to bring success but at no stage will be obtain the love held by many fans for Pochettino because that's where human beings are peculiar or where as Spurs fans we loved the fact that in many ways we bullied and bossed teams in a way that is actually more Mourinho as a human being and yet in a fashion that we would never see under him.

Weird it certainly is.

Last edited:
I couldn't watch because of work so I ignored spoilers and waited to watch until I got home. As it was Fulham, I was looking forward to a comfortable win. Total waste of two hours! Spurs you are so frustrating some times!!!

Not sure you can call last season as a Jose failure at all.

And this season didn’t start awfully, unless you are just counting the first match. We were top of the league a few weeks ago.
Of course it was a failure.

He was brought in on huge money to salvage top 4 (we only like 6 points or so off when Poch left) and get a cup. What resulted was pathetic. The new manager boost lasted like 3 games. And this is a guy known for never lasting more than 3 years. It was all "I love this squad so much" and all that bollocks.

This season did start awfully, it's the only reason we spent money. You can look in Levy/ENIC threads, even pro Levy people were furious.

I don't think it is amazing at all.

It is like the Trump effect. Everything was fake news, never his fault, everyone else was to blame

In our case it is Mourinho. Some people set in their views. Everything good is down to him , every bad is the players fault. Apparently every player we have should have the best XG rate in the world (which Son basically did have for part of season, which is why our results were outperforming our performances) , and our defence the best XGA in the world.
I have even seen it explained that it is right to take 1-0 lead and then just try and defend for the rest of game, because winning 2-0 is a mistake, because it shows that by getting a second goal you didn't trust your defence to keep a clean sheet. Lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Check how many times in PL history Spurs have been 6 points or less off top after 17 games.

Clue - Other than now ZERO

So relative all previous PL managers of Spurs, Mourino/this Spurs team are actually doing better than any previous !

Got that ?

And by the way I hated dropping 2 points on Wednesday after missing 3 or 4 chances in the first half.

Check how many times in PL history Spurs have been 6 points or less off top after 17 games.

Clue - Other than now ZERO

So relative all previous PL managers of Spurs, Mourino/this Spurs team are actually doing better than any previous !

Got that ?

And by the way I hated dropping 2 points on Wednesday after missing 3 or 4 chances in the first half.
How have you not learned by now that context matters?

In the season we reached the CL final and got 4th, up to around xmas we were in touching distance of pool and city but clearly never winning the league as we were grinding out and battling against shit teams constantly whilst the top 2 were cruising.

Similarly now we are capable of going on a run. More likely to draw against fodder.

Blaming players is fucking stupid as well.

Either blame the manager and/or chairman.

Otherwise you're suggesting we're the only team in history who has ever been so unlucky to constantly keep being blessed with players who can't be arsed despite having the talent to win titles. Us poor unfortunate cursed fans, having to deal with these selfish, evil players. That is literally the argument of twats like sammyspurs sammyspurs

Get a fucking grip.

Of course it was a failure.

He was brought in on huge money to salvage top 4 (we only like 6 points or so off when Poch left) and get a cup. What resulted was pathetic. The new manager boost lasted like 3 games. And this is a guy known for never lasting more than 3 years. It was all "I love this squad so much" and all that bollocks.

This season did start awfully, it's the only reason we spent money. You can look in Levy/ENIC threads, even pro Levy people were furious.
Can’t agree with any of that, but we all see what we want to.

What I saw at the start of this season was a loss to Everton and then 8 wins and 2 draws in the next 10. Matches in which we scored over 30 goals. As I said, if our awful start was one match against Everton, fine, but otherwise, I’m not having it.

In the season we reached the CL final and got 4th, up to around xmas we were in touching distance of pool and city but clearly never winning the league as we were grinding out and battling against shit teams constantly whilst the top 2 were cruising.

Similarly now we are capable of going on a run. More likely to draw against fodder.

Context is PRECISELY why Spurs having a gap of 6 points or less off top is relevant

And when we were 2nd or 3rd in previous seasons the gap was larger = less good than the top team

Touching distance at xmas .
After that his last league win away from home was Fulham in January before he was sacked in November
10 months later.
Poch is gone dear old Team Tanguy

You see it's a very valid point in asking if the same tactics are employed and yet they result in diffeent outcomes, are they as good.

Clearly there are variables such as team performance, team you are up against and aspects of fortune that come into play. You must also consider form at the time and confidence which are perceptible yet difficult to decipher..

Ultimately it's results. Very few complained when we were winning so for the majority the result trumps the performance. Certainly does with me but within the confines of some form of desperation to see success. I expect it would drift to how we play if winning was based purely on defensive solidity as opposed to more intricate and comprehensive play.

We know what Mourinho brings. It is not going to change in terms of style of football at this stage and the players he possesses are not those he trusts as much as in previous incarnations. That in part is evidenced by the team selections.
It also dictates how we play.

So you are right. We want everything and only raise our objections when we fail to win or secure a result that we do not believe is acceptable.

Mourinho needs to bring success but at no stage will be obtain the love held by many fans for Pochettino because that's where human beings are peculiar or where as Spurs fans we loved the fact that in many ways we bullied and bossed teams in a way that is actually more Mourinho as a human being and yet in a fashion that we would never see under him.

Weird it certainly is.
Excellent post. I said something similar a while back. He sets his teams to play like pussies but gives it the big hard one when talking to the media, oppo mangers or officials.

This 6 points from top but so are many other teams. Look the other way and we are only 7 points above 13th place. Absolute bollocks argument. Leicester and Everton, who we both lost to at home are only 4 points from top. Soton are 7 points from top 1 point behind us.

Check how many times in PL history the top half of the table is separated by 10 points at (coming up to) the half way stage.

There is pretty much zero point in comparing this season to *any* other. This is an outlier season. The fact that we could feasibly still win the league having drawn or lost 9 of 17 games proves it.

As your post alludes to, it's all relative. And our level in the league recently has been relatively shit.

I know every team in the top 10 could probably claim the same, but, we could definitely be clear at the top if we even got close to our full potential every game. That's the frustration. Not achieving what we are patently capable of.

Talking generally, Fulham played with gusto, purpose, good pace of play and movement, wouldn't surprise me if they chase down 16-17th if that's the level they can maintain, the left back Robinson was full on at it, running and running, impressive display.

They've had epic results recently. They were clearly in good condition and up for it (the amount of 50/50's we had a player bordering injury from, was a siren to say rest more, get fitter, eat better).

We have been somewhat shafted by our Cup progress, but should rotate more for key players, seems a little structureless in that regard, Ferguson was the King of that and Mourinho needs to up his shit in delivering a fit squad, though their day to day fitness isn't bad, we aren't arriving in the zone like many teams are (it's an almost imperceptible state where your food/conditioning is right so your autonomic nervous system is ready to deliver that oxygen to the forward facing organs (Fight or Flight), but I suspect we have weakness amongst the players or the technical structuring, as only Utd away could you say we were in the Zone as I mean it).

Last edited:
Jose is showing no respect to spurs fans or traditions. He know he can away with it as there no fans. He probably doesn’t read these forums. Some other points:
Expecting to score from every chance is impossible. Players as good as Son and Kane will miss their fair amount.
Those two had the fewest touches of any players other than the goalies. Disgrace.
All that attacking talent on the bench and wasted. Didn’t even use 3 subs surely dele or bale were worth a go.
What was the point of bringing on vinny there was no one to pass to him.
Kane end up playing in midfield once ndombele went off.
Subs too late and there seem to be no change in tactics in 2nd half when they were on top even before they scored. He never barks out instructions on the touch line in the 2nd half. Just sits there with a empty look like his empty tactics.
We can’t pass the ball for love or money.
Exactly what do they work on in training.
We must play the worst football in the PL.
Fulham looked more like a team, better coached and knew what they were doing. They could keep the ball and build up play deep into our half. We could string 5 passes together.
A more attacking manager in this season we could be right in the mix. Could go on but it’s late.
Our traditions over the last 25 years bar 2008 was to crumble everytime we got within distance of winning something.
We have had weak minded squads and managers.

Back
Top Bottom