Tottenham vs United – Wednesday 31st Jan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To me, Aurier and Trippier is a toss-up.

Both of them are neither great or bad. Both are just decent.

I’m on the fence too with Trippier. Granted he doesn’t have nearly the pace as Aurier, and has somewhat less defending skills, but he does bring something extra in the attack. One touch passing and crosses are excellent.

Aurier is is more agressive defensively, but to a point he has some pretty wild tackles.

Serge would definitely be my first choice, but I wouldn’t sell Trippier.

I’m on the fence too with Trippier. Granted he doesn’t have nearly the pace as Aurier, and has somewhat less defending skills, but he does bring something extra in the attack. One touch passing and crosses are excellent.

Aurier is is more agressive defensively, but to a point he has some pretty wild tackles.

Trippiers crossing is utter pony mate, barely finds a white shirt, very fucking game pumping ball after hopeless ball into the box, utter waste of space. No doubt you will respond with assist stats, before you do, check how many are from crosses and then check the opposition, add in the number of balls he has lobbed into the box to obtain the assist and you will see just how shit he is at crossing.

I agree...trips brings the ability to halt an attack dead on it's arse by stopping, foot on ball, pass inside or backwards and raise his hand or gesture. Completely useless...
:pochunimpressed:

Trippier is useless unless he has half the pitch to himself. The moment you put a defender in front of him he turns around and goes backwards. Aurier actually has the technical ability to beat players, is quicker and he makes runs (look at the fourth goal against everton). Aurier can actually play on both feet fairly comfortably too. It isn't close for me

Most importantly

Aurier better defensively
Aurier can retain and pass the ball under pressure because of his technical ability
I agree, I think Aurier has more upside. He does have a tendency to be a little to aggressive at times though,thereby leaving us exposed in the back. Space I'm sure Martial would find rather enjoyable.

Hoping against all odds we are playing mind games regarding Aurier's fitness.
KWP not a bad shout, more faith in him than Trippier who has regressed unfortunately.
If we don't gift wrap any goals for them we have an excellent chance of beating them. More confident than if at OT.
Do hate them though, jammy like woolwich and so many buses to get through. Tough but not impossible.

I would take a draw tonight.

We are facing a side who have no injuries, are in form and whose starting line-up and bench we can't predict.

We will need to be strong in the middle of the park and to be clinical if we eke out chances. Defensively we are going to be tested.

An unbelievably difficult fixture I feel but one that would be great to win.

Trippiers crossing is utter pony mate, barely finds a white shirt, very fucking game pumping ball after hopeless ball into the box, utter waste of space. No doubt you will respond with assist stats, before you do, check how many are from crosses and then check the opposition, add in the number of balls he has lobbed into the box to obtain the assist and you will see just how shit he is at crossing.

I agree...trips brings the ability to halt an attack dead on it's arse by stopping, foot on ball, pass inside or backwards and raise his hand or gesture. Completely useless...
:pochunimpressed:

Trippier is useless unless he has half the pitch to himself. The moment you put a defender in front of him he turns around and goes backwards. Aurier actually has the technical ability to beat players, is quicker and he makes runs (look at the fourth goal against everton). Aurier can actually play on both feet fairly comfortably too. It isn't close for me

Most importantly

Aurier better defensively
Aurier can retain and pass the ball under pressure because of his technical ability

I agree, I think Aurier has more upside. He does have a tendency to be a little to aggressive at times though,thereby leaving us exposed in the back. Space I'm sure Martial would find rather enjoyable.

The pair of them are shit

OK... this is just getting silly now!
I thought Trippier was our best crosser of the ball until I read THIS LOT!

OK... this is just getting silly now!
I thought Trippier was our best crosser of the ball until I read THIS LOT!
Because he got 6 assists against Hull and Watford (no one else) last year everyone says he’s a great crosser. If he was a great crosser he’d have assisted or created more goals from the hundreds of crosses he has lobbed into the box. I think it’s only 1 this year, his other assists being from a couple of throw-ins and a through ball (I think).

The next 5 games wil define our season. Fuck this up and realistically top 4 gone . We need 6 points maximum from the home games really.
We are going to have to be bang on it.
Shame we have to squeeze a Newport in between Liverpool and Woolwich makes me it all much harder.
Newport hopefully won’t be as hard as weekend. Yet I doubt it’ll be a push over.
Then we have the CL were we need a decent result.

Can’t afford to let Woolwich take any more points from us and seeing as we usual lose away to Liverpool we must make the points up tonight.

Our best league performance of the season was (imo) against Liverpool. They had pace which could have hurt us, but we hit them on the counter time after time.
The difference in this game is that it’s Mourinho. He will happily sit his team back. He won’t care if there is no outlet. And for all that I loathe the smug cunt, his teams don’t tend to cave in under pressure.
We need an early goal here & then they have to try & get something from the game. It’s at that stage where we can hit them on the counter.

An early goal for them would be disastrous but am expecting a backlash from us after Saturdays performance
I don’t think Poch will stand for anything less

2-1

Because he got 6 assists against Hull and Watford (no one else) last year everyone says he’s a great crosser. If he was a great crosser he’d have assisted or created more goals from the hundreds of crosses he has lobbed into the box. I think it’s only 1 this year, his other assists being from a couple of throw-ins and a through ball (I think).

I don't think delivering balls from so deep always helps, and because of his inability to get to the byline without relying on another player to pass the ball off. It changes how the players attacking the ball arrive in the box.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom