Tottenham's worst manager and the manager you hated the most.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Odd opinion incoming

I never had much of problem with Sherwood. I kinda liked his attitude to be honest. I didn't like AVB at all, however. I don't even know why, I just never liked him. And it wasn't the dreadfully boring football!

Both were pretty bad for Spurs, and Bale, well, bailed us out so many times in AVBs time with us. Sometimes you can spin that as positive, but there can be times where you just want everyone to pull their weight. It was such a weird time, and it certainly puts a couple things to perspective considering it wasn't that long ago.

People didn’t like Sherwood because he proved them wrong and was no worse than their beloved AVB.

Didn’t even have his badges so for me did a very good job.

Burned the encyclopedia and brought the football back.

Naive? So fucking what....not as naive as playing Soldado over Kane.
People like to try and praise Poch for Kane’s emergence but we all know that’s a lie.

Gross Def worst I've seen.
Yeah ozzie was a crap a manger, and at times felt like his training was "defenders, go do stuff over there" but gross was just a shit shit shit version of wenger. And that whole tube ticket thing. Still makes me shudder..
What’s that about anyone? Cheers

What’s that about anyone? Cheers

Gross' initial fortunes were mixed; his debut was a 1–0 loss to Crystal Palace at White Hart Lane, followed by a 2–0 win over Everton at Goodison Park, with a heavy 6–1 home defeat at the hands of Chelsea. However, despite some signs of improvement, he was relentlessly ridiculed by the British tabloids.[5] The tabloid ridicule of Gross was often linked to his poor grasp of English and first Spurs press conference, where he arrived late from Heathrow airport brandishing a London Underground ticket with the words: "I want this to become my ticket to the dreams".

Santini was an odd one, he came with a big reputation, couldn't speak a lick of English and left after a handful of games. Not sure that qualifies him as the worst but that was an odd situation with Jol waiting in the wings.

We had some awful performances under Hoddle, that's when I had my season ticket and there was some dire stuff served up, 4-0 defeat by Blackburn last home game of the season was a low point, then there was a heartless 2-0 loss at West Ham where me and a friend were late to the game and we got a bit of a shoeing on the tube from some happy hammers.... that wasn't a fun day.

The worst has to be Gross and his tube ticket surely? that was fucking cringe

Most hated, I'm not sure I've ever hated a Spurs manager, there are plenty I've wanted them to leave, but hate is a bit strong.

Redknapp purely for the disrespect he showed the club with the England job. Tbh surprised I'm the first to mention him here.

I wasn't a fan of Gross and I'm not saying he would have been a success but I thought he was hard done by.
If I recall correctly, he won two of his first four matches and already there were calls for him to be sacked.

I was one of the few fans who was happy with the appointment of George Graham. I took it as something to gloat about that the most successful manager in Woolwich's history was now managing Tottenham.

I didn't think he did a bad job and I thought his sacking was absurd but I know most fans would disagree with me on this.

Graham won the 1999 Worthington Cup with Gerry Francis's team. 2 of the 3 players he brought in were cup-tied (Sherwood and Taricco) and the rest of the team were either signed by Francis or shaped into the players they were under him. Freund was the only addition under Graham's watch and Graham had no time for any of the players brought in under Christian Gross.

That's often been the way at Tottenham. Other managers do all the grunt work and run out of steam when it's all done and another manager comes in and coasts on the momentum of being a fresh face with new ideas and takes all the glory. It even happened in 1951 with Arthur Rowe; the team and the ideas were already there, it just took Rowe to galvanise them into action.

I think Graham would have won us the 2001 FA Cup if he hadn't been sacked on the eve of the semi-final but ENIC wanted to make a big statement about the football philosophy they wanted at the club and they wanted a man who would do things the Tottenham way and there is no man who can make that statement better than Glenn Hoddle.

Gross was poor but AVB made supporting Spurs a chore and that is different from just being shit, I didn’t even enjoy it much when winning.

Redknapp purely for the disrespect he showed the club with the England job. Tbh surprised I'm the first to mention him here.

probably because the football was generally very good and upto the England job, court case he’d been liked mostly so had some credit in the bank so as to speak.

Gross was the worst. Didn't have a scooby.
Ardiles was also incompetent but at least the fans liked him.
Graham I couldn't comprehend. The antithesis of our club. It also agonised me that we went through a drawn out process to get him from leeds, paid big compensation, and then that soft spoken bin lid faced cunt O'Leary turned Leeds into an excellent team while we continued to paddle in our on faeces

probably because the football was generally very good and upto the England job, court case he’d been liked mostly so had some credit in the bank so as to speak.
Yep agreed and it was big progress at the time although Bale v Inter is offset by losing in the FA Cup semi final to fucking Portsmouth for me. It was pre Man City billions and with a bit more focus end of 2011/2 we could have been right up there. Was so positive thinking we'd got away with another shit transfer window and battered Newcastle 5-0 (Saha), then it all went to complete shit with his mind elsewhere. He'd already chucked us out of the Europa League in the group stage with Shamrock Rovers. Felt mugged for attending those games.

Graham I couldn't comprehend. The antithesis of our club. It also agonised me that we went through a drawn out process to get him from leeds, paid big compensation, and then that soft spoken bin lid faced cunt O'Leary turned Leeds into an excellent team while we continued to paddle in our on faeces

Leeds have been paddling in their own faeces for the last 15 years. It was Howard Wilkinson who was responsible for their youth development and it was men like O'Leary and Ridsdale who squandered that potential and condemned Leeds to financial ruin.

Back
Top Bottom