Tottenham's worst manager and the manager you hated the most.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Leeds have been paddling in their own faeces for the last 15 years. It was Howard Wilkinson who was responsible for their youth development and it was men like O'Leary and Ridsdale who squandered that potential and condemned Leeds to financial ruin.
True to a point but harsh on O'Leary who still played those youngsters and had them playing in a style reminiscent of us in pochs early years.

I'm to young to remember Terry Neill so can't say him.

Graham is a prick but he offered hope due to his record so I didn't despise him.

I'm 40 and have seen so much cross but no manager has ever made me so embarrassed to be a spurs fan as Sherwood. He wins by a mile. Hated it the whole time.

When Sherwood was in charge it was the only time in my life I didn't enjoy going to games.

I think part of the problem there was that no one expected Sherwood to be around for long. It was always seen as a temporary arrangement until we could get someone better in the summer. Levy tried to offset that by giving him an 18 month contract to say "This is the manager. Get behind him" but no one bought it.

One thing I liked about the Sherminator was his initial attitude and a quote from the media that said something along the lines of: "Plenty of managers talk about 'The Project' and 'building for the future' but the reality is that you either win games or you get the sack". There was no bullshit with him; he told it like it was.

I think part of the problem there was that no one expected Sherwood to be around for long. It was always seen as a temporary arrangement until we could get someone better in the summer. Levy tried to offset that by giving him an 18 month contract to say "This is the manager. Get behind him" but no one bought it.

One thing I liked about the Sherminator was his initial attitude and a quote from the media that said something along the lines of: "Plenty of managers talk about 'The Project' and 'building for the future' but the reality is that you either win games or you get the sack". There was no bullshit with him; he told it like it was.
It just felt like the club was completely rudderless at the time with no plan or direction.

Thats where I'm at with Sherwood. He has his flaws, but I just saw him as a ditzy, but passionate fan trying to manage a club he likes. I think he gets a lot of unwarranted hate for someone who was also coaching the kids after he stopped playing (if I recall)

He was just a stopgap at the end of the day which saved Levy some cash in that he had 12-18 months of his youth team contract still to run

I remember going to a League Cup Home tie against the Spam in 2013 just before he was officially appointed
We lost 2-1 despite Adebayor putting us ahead and their fans were all singing “sacked in the morning etc”
He went over and applauded them which was quite funny

I have only been a fan since 2006, but easily the manager I hated most was AVB. Just absolutely terrible footie and the only thing that made him not get the sack in 12-13 was Bale scoring absurd goals game after game. Imagine having prime Bale and getting 5th, horrific.

Jol is the first manager I remember loved the big man and we did his nasty deserved far better then he got. Ramos was a fucking disaster but didn't hate him.

Harry gave me some of my best memories as a fan but I don't think I will ever forgive him for his last season he downed tools unsettled the squad because he believed the media he was getting the England job the cunt. AVB was a boring fucker and watching some games made my eyes hurt but again didn't hate him. Sherwood was a silly cunt with a big mouth but at least some games we played decent stuff for the first time in 18 months. And Poch despite his recent mistakes I still love, just hoping he's turned a corner tactically and I never see a diamond again....

Overall I would probs vote Harry for just how bad he fucked us over

My abiding memory of Sherwood was him sitting in the directors box playing with his phone whilst the dippers shit all over us at racistville.

But the worst was Ramos. Came to us with a massive reputation, appointing him was considered a coup. What we got compared to what we expected....

Didnt help that he replaced Jol, who was shat on from a great height. The way that was handled is something Levy should rightly be caned for.

Worst - Ramos.
Red raw useless. The epitome of a yes man who had no idea what he was doing. Those opening 8 games of the 08/09 season were the darkest days of my time supporting Spurs.

Most hated - Sherwood.
An arrogant, obnoxious oaf. One of the biggest spoofers in football and it still sends shivers down my spine when I recall he used to manage our club.

He still talks about Spurs as Us and We though in his analysis.
He's actually gone up a lot in my estimation since he left. Especially considering the shit he took from many of our fans. (including me)

I respect your opinion but have to disagree.

He doesn't analyse football any more than I analyse petrochemistry or celestial movements.

A full on fraud, but more than being a culprit in his own right perhaps he is just a sympthom of that particular old boys network, which somehow still has relevance and influince in the british football industry. A sympthom of that weird sort of rotation of personalities between clubs, media services and associations which continually provide livelyhood - and in this case media exposure - for people with visibly no particular competences for business managment, coaching, journalism etc.

Another very relevant example is Sol Campbell. Just manager of Southend, right?

He still talks about Spurs as Us and We though in his analysis.
He's actually gone up a lot in my estimation since he left. Especially considering the shit he took from many of our fans. (including me)
Everyone seems to go up in estimation once they leave Spurs!! (Except Sol)
Odd opinion incoming

I never had much of problem with Sherwood. I kinda liked his attitude to be honest. I didn't like AVB at all, however. I don't even know why, I just never liked him. And it wasn't the dreadfully boring football!

Both were pretty bad for Spurs, and Bale, well, bailed us out so many times in AVBs time with us. Sometimes you can spin that as positive, but there can be times where you just want everyone to pull their weight. It was such a weird time, and it certainly puts a couple things to perspective considering it wasn't that long ago.
GROSS was 'us' trying to replicate Wenger (Germanic' ish, Faux Professor of the game)
and AVB was CLEARLY a poor man's Mourinho (Young, Portugese, little or no playing career/student of the game!)

Both were a Poundshop replica of which clubs we naively 'thought' they should be copying to achieve success!
Both failed miserably!

...and George Graham was just hated from the moment he walked in!

Back
Top Bottom