Tottenham's worst manager and the manager you hated the most.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gross Def worst I've seen.
Yeah ozzie was a crap a manger, and at times felt like his training was "defenders, go do stuff over there" but gross was just a shit shit shit version of wenger. And that whole tube ticket thing. Still makes me shudder..

I remember watching Tottenham training under Ardiles.
No wonder they struggled to adapt to Francis' fitness regime because they just went for a jog round the training pitch and practised a set-piece.

THAT WAS IT.

This was at the start of the 94/95 season after the opening game against Sheffield Wednesday and before the first home game against Everton.

They practised this incredibly convoluted and intricate set-piece that involved God knows how many passes and I thought to myself 'That is NEVER going to work.'

The major flaw in Ardiles' plan was that he forgot that there was an opposition who might, just might, try to defend the set-piece.

They then tried it during the Everton game and the manoeuvre broke down after the second pass...

Last edited:
Worse than santorini?
That's not even possible

Santini was an absolute twat.
He quit claiming that his wife was ill and then admitted later that it was a lie.
What kind of low-life makes up an excuse like that??

He then complained that the club had promised him a house at the seaside but instead had given him a house 100 metres from the sea...

100 METRES FROM THE SEA IS THE SEASIDE, YOU FUCKING MORON!!!!!!!!!!!

Still think Andre deserved to end the 13/14 season :levyeyes:

I associate AVB's reign with the fact that he should never have been appointed in the first place, his bizarre command of English - describing Michael Dawson as a player of 'immense human dimension', the boring football and that he had Bale to paper over the cracks.

Levy should never have sacked AVB because he should never have appointed him in the first place because he should never have sacked Redknapp.

When you consider the situation we were in when he took over (two points from eight games) and then qualifying for the Champions League in his first full season, Redknapp's interest in the England job is, for me, an incredibly minor issue.

The FA should have given him the job but they went with Hodgson purely because they didn't have to pay compensation to West Brom.

There was also the court case. Any person in the world would have been unsettled by all of that. Managers are human beings too.

Yeah both fair, I think in general I've been quite lucky in my time on this earth that Spurs haven't had any standout shockers.

AVB was incredibly dull football, but it wasn't particularly bad performing points wise for the most part IIRC.

Haven’t hated any of them really.

AVB was a knob. Gross and Santini we’re useless. Ramos was naff. And Sherwood was a tit.

Didn’t hate them though.

That said, fucking hell Poch is so much better.

Yeah both fair, I think in general I've been quite lucky in my time on this earth that Spurs haven't had any standout shockers.

AVB was incredibly dull football, but it wasn't particularly bad performing points wise for the most part IIRC.

Redknapp was sacked immediately after taking us to the top 4 and we would have qualified for the Champions League again if it wasn't for that ridiculous rule (that no longer exists) that allowed Chelsea to take our place instead.

So AVB inherited a good side, arguably better than any side a Tottenham manager has ever inherited, and it would have taken something pretty cataclysmic to finish with a poor league position or points tally.

In any case, I don't place much significance on points.
It's your performance in relation to other teams that determines your position.

Last season Liverpool finished second with 16 more points than Leicester's title winning side.

If a team ends up with 35 points and avoids the drop but the following season has 40 points and gets relegated, try telling the fans that they've made progress.

This is a general question to those who have mentioned Sherwood.

What was your issue with him?

I thought he was too outspoken and that didn't do him any favours and Levy was right to replace him.

But I thought he was better than that monumental knobhead, AVB.

Tactics Tim was a bit embarrassing but I wouldn't say I "hated" the guy.
I always felt sorry for him and his honesty and reputation did him a lot of harm. Stats fuck with your mind and as bad as Sherwood might have been, he certainly managed better than 1.1 points per game while the manager and never lost 14 out of 30 games - unlike someone whom most of us do adore, still would have Poch above everyone though !

I always felt sorry for him and his honesty and reputation did him a lot of harm. Stats fuck with your mind and as bad as Sherwood might have been, he certainly managed better than 1.1 points per game while the manager and never lost 14 out of 30 games - unlike someone whom most of us do adore, still would have Poch above everyone though !
Aye took over a team with serious problems too. Soldado, Paulinho and Chirches all we're pretty poor.
Dosen't make up for his mistakes but you have to take things into context.

He never got us to the Champions League Final or to our highest league position in over 50 years either.

Last edited:
Aye took over a team with serious problems too. Soldado, Paulinho and Chirches all we're pretty poor.
Dosen't make up for his mistakes but you have to take things into context.

He also managed to motivate Adebayor for a while and that's no mean feat.

I've liked Adebayor ever since THAT goal celebration against Woolwich when he was at Manchester City.

I thought that was hilarious and still do.

Last edited:
I remember watching Tottenham training under Ardiles.
No wonder they struggled to adapt to Francis' fitness regime because they just went for a jog round the training pitch and practised a set-piece.

THAT WAS IT.

This was at the start of the 94/95 season after the opening game against Sheffield Wednesday and before the first home game against Everton.

They practised this incredibly convoluted and intricate set-piece that involved God knows how many passes and I thought to myself 'That is NEVER going to work.'

The major flaw in Ardiles' plan was that he forgot that there was an opposition who might, just might, try to defend the set-piece.

They then tried it during the Everton game and the manoeuvre broke down after the second pass...

This doesn't surprise me but what I will say as a youngster is that having signed Klinsmann - three goals in first 2 games, playing 5 up front and beating Sheff Weds 4-3 then Everton 2-1., 100% going into a game against United was incredibly exciting. - until it got found out!

Remember Klinsmann scored against United (ruled out for offside) but the celebration from it was on the MOTD intro for the rest of the season :klinsmann:

Hard to see past Neill. Don't know why some have a problem with Sherwood. I assumed he'd been appointed coz he was Levy's yes-man but he turned out to be anything but. I respect him for that.

Back
Top Bottom