Troy Parrott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That article just repeats what JM said at the presser.
He said TP was on the B list. He's not according to this:
Well the article actually quotes the eufa website as wrong.

“Tottenham have moved to confirm that Troy Parrott is indeed included in their Champions League squad for the knockout phase, after appearing to be left out on the UEFA website.”

I trust that spurs aren’t stupid enough to think Troy is eligible to play when he is not.

That article just repeats what JM said at the presser.
He said TP was on the B list. He's not according to this:
I don't know when that list needed to be updated by, but it still shows Christian Eriksen and Tashan Oakley Boothe as Spurs players.

Edit:
It does however include Steven Bergweijn so that makes it clear as mud. No star indicating Player list B inclusion next to Troy's name.

I don't know when that list needed to be updated by, but it still shows Christian Eriksen and Tashan Oakley Boothe as Spurs players.
If you look closer you will see that they are included in
Not in current player list
along with Troy whose name does not have an asterisk denoting "List B"

If you look closer you will see that they are included in
Not in current player list
along with Troy whose name does not have an asterisk denoting "List B"
Yeah I get that, but they aren't Spurs players at all, which is why I questioned when the list was updated (by Spurs and on the website).

Yeah I get that, but they aren't Spurs players at all, which is why I questioned when the list was updated (by Spurs and on the website).
For some reason Spurs have not made an official announcement about the ECL squad.
That link is to the official UEFA squad which was updated yesterday.
It shows the new squad and also the players who have been removed from the old squad.

For some reason Spurs have not made an official announcement about the ECL squad.
That link is to the official UEFA squad which was updated yesterday.
It shows the new squad and also the players who have been removed from the old squad
Ah thanks for the timing and explanation.

1st Feb 2020

I was hoping that both Troy Parrott and Oliver Skipp would be heading out, but it would seem not – the story around Parrott a particularly interesting one. Excuse the pretty technical detail that follows, but I think it’s worth noting.

Mourinho said of Parrott in early January:

“He’s 17 years old. I don’t think at the age of 17 it’s good for you to go on loan to a Championship club or to go abroad to another country. My feeling is one thing is when you are 20 if you need that step when you are 19/20, another thing is when you are 17. When you are 17 you are a baby. 17 you just have to be in your father club where you feel at home, where you are at home, where you train and develop with the first team.”

Shortly afterwards, Dan Kilpatrick wrote that he expected Parrott to sign a new, long-term contract after he turned 18 on 4th February. The suggestion from some (and my own assumption too) was that Spurs were quietly applying their rule, again, whereby players are not allowed out on loan until they commit their futures to the club. This all appeared slightly strange to me because, at 17, Parrott is able to sign on for a maximum of three years, and one would think that tying him down and sending him out on loan to get regular games between now and May would benefit him hugely in the future.

It all got a little stranger on deadline day, though, when Dan tweeted an update on Parrott’s situation:

Dan is an excellent reporter with good links to the club and so we can safely assume that this information is entirely accurate. But it seems like a bit of a smokescreen from Spurs.

The reason I say that is that, in terms of the Premier League, Parrott only needs to be at an FA-registered club for 36 months prior to his 21st birthday in order to be considered homegrown*. He is on-course to achieve this (unless we are planning to loan him out to a European club for three years!).

In terms of the Champions League, Parrott can be – and has been – named in Spurs’ Champions League List A Squad. He cannot be included on List B – the ‘freebie’ list of young players – as, although he signed for Spurs in 2017, there were some issues with his registration** and so he has not technically been eligible to play for Spurs for the requisite two years in order to be eligible for List B inclusion.

If teams name a 25-man Champions League squad, eight of the players must be ‘locally trained’, be that ‘club-trained’ or ‘association-trained’***. Club-trained means that they’ve been at the club for three full seasons by the age of 21 (continuously or not). Association-trained is the same, but any club registered with the FA. Parrott is well on-course to become club-trained, but is not there yet.

Perhaps the club view is that that by stopping him going on loan now they can include him as a ‘freebie’ on their Champions League squad next season; a rather short-termist approach, I would argue.

Having not signed a striker, though, my hope is that Parrott signs a long-term contract when he turns 18 on Tuesday and actually starts getting minutes – he’s more than capable at this point.

**Credit to Reddit user Imbasauce: ‘Troy transfered to us from Dublin on July 2017 (he’s 15years and 5months). According to Fifa rules regarding ‘Protection of Minors’, EU Nationals can only transfer when he reaches the age of 16. This means he couldn’t register with the club officially during his first year.’
and WindyCOYS WindyCOYS who has also been interested in this issue.

Thanks for posting all of this - saves me posting similar.

My guess is that when we signed Parrott, (aged 15) we could not register him due to his age, but come age 16 (4/2/18) we could do (FIFA Protection of Minors) .

At start of 2019/20 we could not claim he had been at ( registered) at the club for 2 years so he had to be registered as an overseas trained player.

List B players only need to be nominated 26 hours before a CL match - so when we do that Parrott will have been registered at Spurs for at least 2 years (from 4/02/2018 to say March 2020) so good for the 2nd half of 19/20 provided he is not on loan now.

Problem solved ?

Great news. It’s important we manage our expectations and don’t overhype him.

EMHxvjH.jpg

There was one take down and dribble, can't recall when, that made me think he's already better (in terms of what Jose wants), than say Piacek (not saying he's a better player at this point, but interplay potential).

Hyperbole, maybe, but some players you just get an immediate sense of them 'having it'.

Hope he serendipitously becomes our Kane backup now, with a few goals and good cameos later this season.

So many media stories today all reportjng Psarrott signing a 3 year contract, all citing other 'sources'...….but no quotes or anything new.

Not sure its sensible to believe it as the world and his wife were betting that Parrott would sign a new contract on his birthday.

Think its better to wait until a journalist asks the question at a press conference or OS says before believing a new contract has definitely been signed - it may have been but equally may not have been.

Great stuff. Not sure we will see much, if any, of him this season (I'd like to be wrong about that). I reckon he will be heavily involved pre-season and then go on loan somewhere next season, which will be good for him. Unless the plan is to see him more involved with the first team next season, who knows, but I'm excited either way.

Its official - thank god for that, too many people guessing he would sign a new contract on his birthday with guesses of 5 and 4 years made it impossible to be sure what was going on.

3 years is shorter than I had hoped, but hopefully if he gets some game time (and I'm not suggesting loads of starts) plus a decent preseason a further even longer contract may be signed within a year - it would fit the modus operandi of Spurs think both Kane and Winks signed 3 contracts within 12 months in their earlier (developmental) periods.

Its official - thank god for that, too many people guessing he would sign a new contract on his birthday with guesses of 5 and 4 years made it impossible to be sure what was going on.

3 years is shorter than I had hoped, but hopefully if he gets some game time (and I'm not suggesting loads of starts) plus a decent preseason a further even longer contract may be signed within a year - it would fit the modus operandi of Spurs think both Kane and Winks signed 3 contracts within 12 months in their earlier (developmental) periods.
Yep, almost certainly will be offered incremental new deals, however, that would also be in line with mins played so he can achieve/be rewarded a new deal. Might prove difficult given his age compared to both Winks and Kane's examples?? Also might explain why it's 3yrs and not longer, it could be that his plan is to continue with the development squad and build his mins there and then look for a loan in his 2nd year???

Certainly interesting to see what happens from now going forward. Loan, U23's, first-team mins etc..

Yep, almost certainly will be offered incremental new deals, however, that would also be in line with mins played so he can achieve/be rewarded a new deal. Might prove difficult given his age compared to both Winks and Kane's examples?? Also might explain why it's 3yrs and not longer, it could be that his plan is to continue with the development squad and build his mins there and then look for a loan in his 2nd year???

Certainly interesting to see what happens from now going forward. Loan, U23's, first-team mins etc..

My suspicion is that Spurs would have liked Parrott to sign a 4 or 5 year contract (the first time, at aged 18, that he could sign such a long contract) but that it would be Parrott's agent advising to keep the contract at 3 years.

And the only reason I can see the agent suggesting that is that if there is not enough playing time then its easier to suggest that he might want to move elsewhere in say 12 or 18 months time with only 24 or 18 months left on the contract.

At the moment its clear there is a certain amount of uncertainty in Spurs youth as to the route to the first team, although Tanganga's progress is certainly a very welcome step, after the last few years - and we will probably find that played its part in Luis Binks apparent upping sticks to move to Montreal Impact a few days ago if that proves to be a permanent move.

Hopefully though we will see something of Parrott over the course of this season, next preseason and into next season which will allay Parrott's nervousness - perhaps worth adding that Mason Greenwood at ManU who is 6 months older than Parrott has made almost 20 appearances this season with 6 goals and that may set expectations for Parrott next season.

But in terms of the short term, if he stays with the first team he needs appearances there (otherwise as we found under Poch first team training for 6 months without play leads to deterioration in a player's performances) , but playing u23 football at least keeps him going although it wont be particularly challenging for him so development might not be that rapid. Tricky times. As you say, we need to see what playing time he gets.

Back
Top Bottom