Upgrades, Backup & New Aquisions In prep for next season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing we have to worry about when it comes to selling people is actually finding a club to take them a a decent price - as we have found with Gio and Bentley for a while now...

Freudlyuchenko said:
If you had to keep 1 who would it be; Jenas, Bentley or Gio

Good question...

I've got to say Bentley, only because I think he could genuinely find some form again as back up on the right wing. Also he isn't bad with a dead ball (reference Skip again). Finally there is his all round entertainment value. :bentley:

Gio, I'm just tired with him now. He has been given his chances and he's blown them. :gio:

Jenas, hasn't been bad for us at times but I feel he's just not required at Spurs anymore. :mong:

Id say Bentley too, just becasue we could have used him a few times this season,

With Livermore improving, Sandro, Parker and Modric there, not to mention Hudd and other youngsters like Carroll JJ just isnt going to get much game time at all is he?

Bentley only has Lennon in his way really - VDV if you are being picky.

Burko said:
zin said:
Burko said:
Zin, that is one hell of a post, and I agree with 90% of it.

Is the other 10% related around King, Defoe and Saha by any chance? :)

Pienaar and Kane mainly.

Ah ok. Normally I wouldn't have kept them but I've followed their loan spells and been impressed. I think Pienaar does have something to offer and I would be surprised if Kane doesn't make it at a good level, he's only 18!

Just to add a bit to Zin's megapost. By my count the squad as listed has (only) 10 HG players:

Button
Dawson
Naughton
Rose
Bale
Walker
Lennon
Huddlestone
Parker
Livermore

If we ship out Rose, that brings us down to 9, which is how many we have now (with Bentley and Huddlestone taking two of those places!)

We need a minimum of 8.

zin said:
Caulker and Townsend would count as homegrown as well no?
U21s aren't counted in the squad list.

I misspoke earlier. I always get this backwards. Spurs don't need 8 homegrown players. They can have at most 17 non-homegrown players. This is the case at Woolwich, who have only 5 HG players and, hence, an official squad list of only 22.

I count:

11 non-homegrown: Friedel, Cudicini, Kaboul, Gallas, Assou-Ekotto, Pienaar, Modrić, Sandro, van der Vaart, Falqué, Saha

9 home-grown: Button, Dawson, Naughton, Walker, Bale, Lennon, Huddlestone, Parker, Livermore

2 non-U21 sent on loan: Khumalo, Rose

That's a squad list of 20 (11+9). As I showed here, that's on the small end. Liverpool has 19 this spring, Everton 21, and everyone else at least 22.

Dannyboy said:
Don't forget that Coulibally will,or is 17, so he might well be pushing for some time on loan, too.

I don't think we can loan out players unless they are on a professional contract? Be interesting to see who makes the step up to the professionals squad.

Éperons said:
zin said:
Caulker and Townsend would count as homegrown as well no?
U21s aren't counted in the squad list.

I misspoke earlier. I always get this backwards. Spurs don't need 8 homegrown players. They can have at most 17 non-homegrown players. This is the case at Woolwich, who have only 5 HG players and, hence, an official squad list of only 22.

I count:

11 non-homegrown: Friedel, Cudicini, Kaboul, Gallas, Assou-Ekotto, Pienaar, Modrić, Sandro, van der Vaart, Falqué, Saha

9 home-grown: Button, Dawson, Naughton, Walker, Bale, Lennon, Huddlestone, Parker, Livermore

2 non-U21 sent on loan: Khumalo, Rose

That's a squad list of 20 (11+9). As I showed here, that's on the small end. Liverpool has 19 this spring, Everton 21, and everyone else at least 22.

Yup, allows us to buy 5 non-homegrown players, so no limitations.

zin said:
Dannyboy said:
Don't forget that Coulibally will,or is 17, so he might well be pushing for some time on loan, too.

I don't think we can loan out players unless they are on a professional contract? Be interesting to see who makes the step up to the professionals squad.

He had better fucking do, I'm fed up getting young players who we hear great things about only for them to disappear off the face of the earth.

Dannyboy said:
zin said:
Dannyboy said:

He had better fucking do, I'm fed up getting young players who we hear great things about only for them to disappear off the face of the earth.

i'm use to it rather than being fed up;

michael malcolm
leigh mills
jonathan blondel
rodrigo defendri
spase divelski
john bostock
dean parrett

etc etc. the list will continue to grow...

Didn't Coulibally sign a professional contact when he turned 17 at the start of the year?

Usually they are signed in June/July when the club needs to decide who to keep and who to release.

Back
Top Bottom