USA OUT of the World Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm positive we all care more about Spurs than international competition (is it Saturday yet?) but spare me the hipster BS. This does us no favors.
Look man, if we had gone to the WC not doubt I would have cheered along, but I really don't care for or about the USMNT. I'm not interested in watching them play football, and I don't particularly care what happens to them.

But seriously, fuck Mexico for not returning last cycles favor we did them. Thought the stupid wall idea was ridiculous before, but now I'm all on board...

I like American citizens on here and who ive met but I fucking hate any US sports team and it delights me to see them fail , it's all the overbearing false patriotism and flag waving the god awful USA USA chant and all that dickhead whooping and hollering behaviour they display, their athletes repeated use of the word baby " c'mon bay USA baby bring it in baby yeah baby " followed by whooping and hollering , I also find their national anthem cuntish. More than happy we won't see the twats in Russia

I agree. Look at all this Anthem & Flag shite going on in the NFL. It's pathetic. Why have a national anthem beforehand? Just get on with the game ffs.

I'm horrifically depressed but at the same time a bit pleased. This entire national side needs some serious soul searching to figure out the root of our problems. If we got in tonight it would have papered over the gigantic cracks.

I'm a bit at a loss for words
Over confidence. The national team think they are better than they are
Because on paper they are half decent. It breeds complacency

I only caught the last 30 minutes after I came home from my son's game but US looked absolute shit. We had a couple great chances where the T&T keeper made great saves but it seemed like Yedlin got beat every time the ball came down the left side and T&T were getting shots on goal.

I agree that the entire leadership of US Soccer needs to go and bring in new blood. I'd say from this current squad of players the only ones that should even be in consideration by the time the next WC rolls around (barring injuries) should be Pulisic, Acosta, Arriola, Yedlin and Wood. Get the youngsters into the team and get them playing together.

On the bright side we won't have to see these next year.

I only caught the last 30 minutes after I came home from my son's game but US looked absolute shit. We had a couple great chances where the T&T keeper made great saves but it seemed like Yedlin got beat every time the ball came down the left side and T&T were getting shots on goal.

I agree that the entire leadership of US Soccer needs to go and bring in new blood. I'd say from this current squad of players the only ones that should even be in consideration by the time the next WC rolls around (barring injuries) should be Pulisic, Acosta, Arriola, Yedlin and Wood. Get the youngsters into the team and get them playing together.

On the bright side we won't have to see these next year.

That is absolutely disgusting!

Also, it would have clashed with loads of other countries kits! ;-)

I like American citizens on here and who ive met but I fucking hate any US sports team and it delights me to see them fail , it's all the overbearing false patriotism and flag waving the god awful USA USA chant and all that dickhead whooping and hollering behaviour they display, their athletes repeated use of the word baby " c'mon bay USA baby bring it in baby yeah baby " followed by whooping and hollering , I also find their national anthem cuntish. More than happy we won't see the twats in Russia
If you want them off your lawn, just say so :pocheyes:

There may be an element of people using American sports as a way to perpetuate the American Exceptionalism narrative or whatever, but Christ, it's fundamentally really just people getting together and enjoying themselves.

This, I can't fucking stand it when fans cheer or wave flags. Nationalism has no place in international competition.

I refuse to
I agree. Look at all this Anthem & Flag shite going on in the NFL. It's pathetic. Why have a national anthem beforehand? Just get on with the game ffs.
money-animated-gif-13.gif

Look man, if we had gone to the WC not doubt I would have cheered along, but I really don't care for or about the USMNT. I'm not interested in watching them play football, and I don't particularly care what happens to them.
Making it a point to announce to everyone that you don't care is not the same thing as truly not caring though, is it?

I have perspective on this as well. I would be far more sick if we lose to Bournemouth, and I probably won't think about the USMNT until the WC starts. I haven't exactly been watching all the qualifiers either. But I shouldn't have to explain this is a bad thing if you are a fan of the sport living in the US, whether you follow the team or not.

Fire the entire USSF into the sun.

Fuck Arena. Fuck Gulati. Fuck the players. Leave them on the fucking tarmac.

I'm embarrassed to even be here, on an INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD.

Lost generation.

I don’t dislike Americans but the people that are in power.
Why the need for national anthems at non international games, schools etc.
They criticise N Koreans and Russians but they are very similar, indoctrinate their citizens and anyone who doesn’t do it is unpatriotic and a traitor.

Respect the flag.
People die for freedom and when it comes to the national anthem there is none.
If it’s respecting the country and your a group of citizens who feel the country you love, are told to love, doesn’t give you the same treatment why sing it.
Disrespecting it would be not to be there. Sitting down, arms crossed. Turning your back.
I saw plenty of them holding their chests, eyes closed in an obvious sign of patriotism but on a knee which symbolises they are only half citizens in some areas, so why stand.
They pay taxes don’t they?

What other countries sing the national anthem before every non international professional sports game and in college, school sports?
Don’t even think Russia, Iran or even N Korea do.
It’s really unnecessary and rather creepy.
It started in the civil war before it was the anthem.

How can you force people to stand. That’s not freedom.
I hear that’s what the NFL are going to do.

They were asking blacks to stand for and respect the NA when there was discrimination segregation in schools, bars, buses, tolilets, drinking fountains etc., etc, n the 1960’s ffs.

Last edited:
Making it a point to announce to everyone that you don't care is not the same thing as truly not caring though, is it?.
Considering how little it personally costs me in time and effort to say the words, no I don't think that is the case and the point is overly academic rather than practical. If you keep peppering me with questions however, then it starts testing the theory.

I don’t dislike Americans but the people that are in power.
Why the need for national anthems at non international games, schools etc.
They criticise N Koreans and Russians but they are very similar, indoctrinate their citizens and anyone who doesn’t do it is unpatriotic and a traitor.

Respect the flag.
People die for freedom and when it comes to the national anthem there is none.
If it’s respecting the country and your a group of citizens who feel the country you love, are told to love, doesn’t give you the same treatment why sing it.
Disrespecting it would be not to be there. Sitting down, arms crossed. Turning your back.
I saw plenty of them holding their chests, eyes closed in an obvious sign of patriotism but on a knee which symbolises they are only half citizens in some areas, so why stand.
They pay taxes don’t they?

What other countries sing the national anthem before every non international professional sports game and in college, school sports?
Don’t even think Russia, Iran or even N Korea do.
It’s really unnecessary and rather creepy.
It started in the civil war before it was the anthem.

How can you force people to stand. That’s not freedom.
I hear that’s what the NFL are going to do.

They were asking blacks to stand for and respect the NA when there was discrimination segregation in schools, bars, buses, tolilets, drinking fountains etc., etc, n the 1960’s ffs.

I generally understand and agree with what you are saying and I don't agree with the sentiment that peaceful protest during the national anthem is some unconscionable sin, but to claim that the U.S. is like North Korea with indoctrinating it citizens just because they play the national anthem before sports games or start the school day is a bit of a stretch don't you think? That's like me claiming that the U.K. is like North Korea because you have a constitutional monarchy with an unelected Queen.

Too much nationalism definitely causes problems, but a little nationalism can act as unifying force too. Everyone in politics, sports, and on social media is constantly digging out the other side. Sometimes spending a moment to collectively recognize that we are all a part of larger group together can be welcome respite from that. At least that's how I see it.

We've got a different thread for this debate though...this thread is for bitching about the worthless U.S. team.

Back
Top Bottom