USA OUT of the World Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will you rebuild though?

Most teams/countries don't.
When they lose miserably they usually play doubly safe the next tournament and take less risks.

The only real example I think of a real change happening is Germany when they brought in all thier young players a few tournaments ago
Belgium did the same , changed the whole setup of the youth training etc

I don’t dislike Americans but the people that are in power.
Why the need for national anthems at non international games, schools etc.
They criticise N Koreans and Russians but they are very similar, indoctrinate their citizens and anyone who doesn’t do it is unpatriotic and a traitor.

Respect the flag.
People die for freedom and when it comes to the national anthem there is none.
If it’s respecting the country and your a group of citizens who feel the country you love, are told to love, doesn’t give you the same treatment why sing it.
Disrespecting it would be not to be there. Sitting down, arms crossed. Turning your back.
I saw plenty of them holding their chests, eyes closed in an obvious sign of patriotism but on a knee which symbolises they are only half citizens in some areas, so why stand.
They pay taxes don’t they?

What other countries sing the national anthem before every non international professional sports game and in college, school sports?
Don’t even think Russia, Iran or even N Korea do.
It’s really unnecessary and rather creepy.
It started in the civil war before it was the anthem.

How can you force people to stand. That’s not freedom.
I hear that’s what the NFL are going to do.

They were asking blacks to stand for and respect the NA when there was discrimination segregation in schools, bars, buses, tolilets, drinking fountains etc., etc, n the 1960’s ffs.
At least our anthem isn't sung to praise one person who was given a title, not based on any merit or accomplishment, but simply because of the fact of what family she came from.

Don't you hold big parades to celebrate her like they celebrate Kim Jong Un in NK?

At least our anthem isn't sung to praise one person who was given a title, not based on any merit or accomplishment, but simply because of the fact of what family she came from.

Don't you hold big parades to celebrate her like they celebrate Kim Jong Un in NK?

What's that got to do with NFL players taking a knee? Nothing. Most English people don't like our national anthem. It's just something sung before international matches. It's short, that's the main thing!

Anyway, you Yanks sure are a sensitive bunch, can't take any criticism. Arrogant as well.

Stick to baseball, basketball, your 'football' (which I actually like), whatever. Leave football to the rest of the world.

What's that got to do with NFL players taking a knee? Nothing. Most English people don't like our national anthem. It's just something sung before international matches. It's short, that's the main thing!

Anyway, you Yanks sure are a sensitive bunch, can't take any criticism. Arrogant as well.

Stick to baseball, basketball, your 'football' (which I actually like), whatever. Leave football to the rest of the world.
I didn't say anything about NFL players taking a knee. Frankly, I agree with them taking a knee and think playing the anthem before sports is unnecessary. It wasn't the Americans on here that made this thread about patriotism or nationalism.

You say Americans are arrogant, but you are the one telling us to stick to our own sports?!?

What sport is England good at? Based on your performance in tournaments it's clearly not football.

Whatever. I remember the 'We Win, 1-1' headlines and jibes against the English team after the last world cup. That's the problem when you invent sports that the rest of the world take up, there's a chance they might beat you. ;-)

Anyway, all we can do is support our team, support our country. It's only a game.

I'm glad America haven't qualified, sorry!

Will you rebuild though?

Most teams/countries don't.
When they lose miserably they usually play doubly safe the next tournament and take less risks.

The only real example I think of a real change happening is Germany when they brought in all thier young players a few tournaments ago

Not rebuilding so much as growth. We didn't produce enough players from 1990-1994/95 and it's showing now that those years are in the spotlight.

With MLS academies kicking into full funding over the last ~5 years, MLS expansion into more markets + growing financial security should raise the level of domestic play, a stable 2nd division giving professional minutes to 15-18 year old players (doubly important since we can't get kids into major European setups before 18 without a Euro passport), more coaches across the grassroots levels getting better training/more licensing, the U.S. player development should be looking up.

Bad cycle, disappointing result, but people on social media need to stop calling for "major changes" in the sport here...the changes are already being made.

If Friedel has any interest in coaching the national team, I would give him the keys for the next five years. Play the youth and let the coach/players grow into it over the next cycle.

I didn't say anything about NFL players taking a knee. Frankly, I agree with them taking a knee and think playing the anthem before sports is unnecessary. It wasn't the Americans on here that made this thread about patriotism or nationalism.

You say Americans are arrogant, but you are the one telling us to stick to our own sports?!?

What sport is England good at? Based on your performance in tournaments it's clearly not football.

If you feel like that why do you support Spurs? Nearly half the England team play for us?!

Maybe you'd be better off supporting Barca or Bayern!

If you feel like that why do you support Spurs? Nearly half the England team play for us?!

Maybe you'd be better off supporting Barca or Bayern!
Half of the English Spurs supporters on here don't even care for the English National Team. Should they not be allowed to support Spurs as well?

Truce! No more bashing US patriotism. It is what it is, and ain't going to change. Post about how awful Trump or US neo-imperialism is on the appropriate thread (not this one).

Now, on to dissecting this woeful USMNT wold cup qualifying performance:
Klinsmann and Arena both stuck to a pool of players who had got complacent and with quite a few past their mediocrity. One or two decent prospects aside, they don't have enough young players who are good enough to sweep away smaller nations (even Pulisic isn't that special).

The reason for this is twofold:

Firstly, most US players play in a very, very poor league where horribly inconsistent individual performances can be gotten away with. A team can have 4 players on it playing like absolute clowns and that team might still win because so do the other team. I've watched many an MLS game and it's more Benny Hill than Remember the Titans. Fun but not at all serious.

Secondly, despite a huge number of young people playing soccer at a pretty decent level with good coaching and facilities (I know, I was one of them many years ago), very few make it to the upper tiers of the game. This is because soccer is not the type of sport that fits in very well with the talent-to college-to pro-route, as used by all other US sports. A good soccer player needs to be identified at about 6-7 years old and taken into a club youth system from that age. This is because the techniques needed to be even an average player take over a decade of supervised honing. Until MLS clubs have their own academies like European clubs do, the US will never have a decent USMNT.

Half of the English Spurs supporters on here don't even care for the English National Team. Should they not be allowed to support Spurs as well?

Trust me they do care, just pretending not to.

If England go all the way to the final, with Harry leading the line, supported by the likes of Dele, Dier and Winks, they'll soon be proud Englishmen once again, God Save and all that.

It's really only since 2010 imo that it's become 'hip' to hate the national team.

Truce! No more bashing US patriotism. It is what it is, and ain't going to change. Post about how awful Trump or US neo-imperialism is on the appropriate thread (not this one).

Now, on to dissecting this woeful USMNT wold cup qualifying performance:
Klinsmann and Arena both stuck to a pool of players who had got complacent and with quite a few past their mediocrity. One or two decent prospects aside, they don't have enough young players who are good enough to sweep away smaller nations (even Pulisic isn't that special).

The reason for this is twofold:

Firstly, most US players play in a very, very poor league where horribly inconsistent individual performances can be gotten away with. A team can have 4 players on it playing like absolute clowns and that team might still win because so do the other team. I've watched many an MLS game and it's more Benny Hill than Remember the Titans. Fun but not at all serious.

Secondly, despite a huge number of young people playing soccer at a pretty decent level with good coaching and facilities (I know, I was one of them many years ago), very few make it to the upper tiers of the game. This is because soccer is not the type of sport that fits in very well with the talent-to college-to pro-route, as used by all other US sports. A good soccer player needs to be identified at about 6-7 years old and taken into a club youth system from that age. This is because the techniques needed to be even an average player take over a decade of supervised honing. Until MLS clubs have their own academies like European clubs do, the US will never have a decent USMNT.
I don't discredit any of the points you made, but none of them are an excuse for not qualifying. Based on the size of the country and the amount of money spent we should have been able to qualify regardless.

I like American citizens on here and who ive met but I fucking hate any US sports team and it delights me to see them fail , it's all the overbearing false patriotism and flag waving the god awful USA USA chant and all that dickhead whooping and hollering behaviour they display, their athletes repeated use of the word baby " c'mon bay USA baby bring it in baby yeah baby " followed by whooping and hollering , I also find their national anthem cuntish. More than happy we won't see the twats in Russia
No more of this fella too! Things are looking up for the Putin games.
2014-07-01T193647Z_619719930_TB3EA711L4F7U_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-WORLD-M56-BEL-USA.JPG.cf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom