VAR / Officiating

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VAR was brought in to overrule clear and obvious mistakes.
The refs don't want VAR because human beings dislike being told they have done something wrong.
Refs should not have their mates on the VAR panel.

That’s not what I said. You have the current on pitch referees and then you just train up and appoint a whole new set of refs solely for VAR. People who’ve never worked with each other before.
I understand, but who can hold the VAR officials accountable?

The benefits of this system, such that they exist, are clear lines of authority and accountability.

But the bottom line is the whole thing is a back-to-front cancer on the game that can never and will never be anything other than a scourge on the sport.

The problems are fundamental, inherent and conceptual, not matters of implementation or reliability.

Just had a brainwave.
I remember when England v Scotland games always had a ref from a different country.
How about the same in VAR? Eg French refs in the VAR booth for EPL games?

Quite extraordinary comments from Dean.

If he has brainwaves like this during games you can be sure some of his moronic colleagues do as well. The whole thing is a farce.

Of all the leagues that now use VAR, the Premier League have to be the absolute worst by a mile at its implementation.

On another note, why is the offside VAR technology that was in use during the World Cup not in use in the Premier League yet?

Still haven't met anybody who actually wants or likes VAR. I refuse to engage with red shirt plastics so no idea what they think.

At this point it would take a pretty good argument to convince me it isn't there to aid in match fixing in order to protect the product/ensure key results aren't left up to the players.

Still haven't met anybody who actually wants or likes VAR. I refuse to engage with red shirt plastics so no idea what they think.

At this point it would take a pretty good argument to convince me it isn't there to aid in match fixing in order to protect the product/ensure key results aren't left up to the players.

Everyone thought the refs were bent pre-VAR so no change there

One of the biggest steps they could take is making the whole thing transparent and sticking microphones on everyone

The recent comments and matey culture of the officials has just thrown petrol on all the conspiracies

Funny how Mike Dean has come out and said what he has and it involves Spurs & Chelsea, wasn't it Mark Clattenburg that also come out with rather odd comments after the battle of the bridge too.

Mike Dean on the same podcast, about VAR again, "I used to get in the car on a Friday and was dreading Saturday. I was thinking, 'I hope nothing happens'. I used to be petrified sitting in the chair."

The job was clearly way beyond his abilities. I wonder how many more there are, just like him.

Dean confirming what a crap ref he was and that refs bottle decisions to save themselves grief afterwards.

Didn’t get that decision in the penalty area in front of the Kop? Yeah, the ref didn’t fancy the earache after the game.

Refs then wonder why nobody respects them.

Back
Top Bottom