Var poll yay or nay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you want VAR in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters
VAR can be solved easily... Has there been a clear and obvious error? If yes overturn, if no then refs original decision should stand.

If it's still open to debate and not 100 percent conclusive, the refs results stands.

The problem is that its trying to be used in a way that is impossible - it's trying to catch anything and everything that occurs on the pitch to see if a decision can be overturned.... That is wrong.

If it's used as an extra pair of eyes to make sure that the ref hasn't made a howler then it's fine......

Simple rules

If you need a theoretical line to decide whether someone is offside then it's not clear and obvious,....... Clear and obvious is offside to the naked eye.

If a penalty is not given on the field and VAR have to make a decision on the minutest of contacts then the refs original decision should stand as its not clear and obvious.

If the ref has missed a blatant punch, headbutt or other clear red card offence then it should be used.

Clear and Obvious!

VAR was supposed to remove 'We was robbed!' from the game. It hasn't done so - and I don't think it ever will, thank God - it's the only vestige of pride some supporters (eg Geordies) have.

That said, it has the potential to reduce the number of wrong decisions that go against elite, top flight teams like us.

Edit - Wow - currently the vote is like a re-run of Brexit.

Easiest yes ever given.

Game tempo is high and in some instances referees just cant grasp the situation well enough.
There will be subjectivity but it will help to eliminate very clear mistakes from refereeing. How can anyone be against it, I honestly cannot see. Using VAR makes harder to be a diver, it helps to spot when some player from lesser team is intentinally trying to be agressive towards talented players - what is there not to like?

Systems and our ability to use them effectively will improve with time.

But saying right now NO to VAR is like saying "Ah, fuck, those cars are so slow and ineficient. Horses are so much better options, I will stick with this. And I mean my father was using horses as a mode of transportation, so was his father and his father ...." in 1900.

I thought the two decisions that went to VAR in our game at the weekend, were resolved pretty quickly.

Don’t know if it’s because they were obvious or not, but we weren’t hanging around for ages, so if that’s the way it’s gonna be then it can stick around.

Until it goes against us then it can fuck off.

i really dont understand the gripes with VAR. Its like everyone suddenly expected a computer like accuracy on all fouls/offsides etc. its not FIFA for fucks sake.

VAR is for refs. We at home have ALWAYS had video replays, yet it never stopped fans debating decisions ad nauseam. If we couldnt agree when watching limitless slow mo replays before, then we still won't now. Makes no sense to think so.

its seems some want perfection, or nothing, but there's a whole decent space between.

It’ll get better.

I bet people had issues when red cards and substitutes were first used as well.

I have been banging this drum for a long time, with the money in football why didn't FIFA/UEFA heavily subsidise a minor league to trial VAR for 5 or 6 years away from the scrutiny of the media, so many of these problems could have been ironed out.

VAR can be solved easily... Has there been a clear and obvious error? If yes overturn, if no then refs original decision should stand.

If it's still open to debate and not 100 percent conclusive, the refs results stands.

The problem is that its trying to be used in a way that is impossible - it's trying to catch anything and everything that occurs on the pitch to see if a decision can be overturned.... That is wrong.

If it's used as an extra pair of eyes to make sure that the ref hasn't made a howler then it's fine......

Simple rules

If you need a theoretical line to decide whether someone is offside then it's not clear and obvious,....... Clear and obvious is offside to the naked eye.

If a penalty is not given on the field and VAR have to make a decision on the minutest of contacts then the refs original decision should stand as its not clear and obvious.

If the ref has missed a blatant punch, headbutt or other clear red card offence then it should be used.

Clear and Obvious!
This is such a good post, makes things clear and simple ........it will never catch on ;)

My only issue with VAR is when the ref takes too long to make a decision.

You should be able to make a decision quickly. If you have to watch it more than 4-5 times from different angles, then it isn't "clear and obvious" and shouldn't be overturned. Even at the risk of getting it wrong. Let the ref watch a few times from a few different angles, but the whole thing shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, including the jog over to the tele.

or...

Put a timer on the television, once the ref gets there, he/she has 15 seconds to watch the replay, at which point the tele shuts off automatically. If it was clear and obvious, he/she shouldn't have to watch any more clips. If not, it stands.

I'd call you sexist pigs, but my navigational skills leave a lot to be desired,TBH :oops:
However our weakness led to a fortuitous meeting in Barcelona last year. We took a wrong turning to get to the cable car and because of that, we met Daniel Levy, so yah boo sucks!
Blimey! Where was the cable car, Switzerland?

My only issue with VAR is when the ref takes too long to make a decision.

You should be able to make a decision quickly. If you have to watch it more than 4-5 times from different angles, then it isn't "clear and obvious" and shouldn't be overturned. Even at the risk of getting it wrong. Let the ref watch a few times from a few different angles, but the whole thing shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, including the jog over to the tele.

or...

Put a timer on the television, once the ref gets there, he/she has 15 seconds to watch the replay, at which point the tele shuts off automatically. If it was clear and obvious, he/she shouldn't have to watch any more clips. If not, it stands.
Good idea.
My only improvement on that concept would be as follows:
If the referee hasn't made a decision within 15 seconds he/she is electrocuted - not killed, just maimed - and a new ref is brought on. The tension and anticipation should help alleviate any boredom.

Back
Top Bottom