VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
I don't care enough to check what happens with other teams. But are other teams getting fucked badly on a weekly basis too?

Seems to be every week or at least every other week when it comes to us. Whether it's decisions that are given as offside when they're not. Or things not given as offside. Penalty decisions that shouldn't be given and penalties that should. Fouls in build ups that aren't given etc.

There's been way too many decisions for other teams which were clearly incorrect. West Ham have got away with a couple of blatant penalties, Woolwich have scored a couple of goals with offside players, United scored with Rashford interfering with play, and so on. Woolwich have also been robbed themselves a couple of times. Howard Webb came out and said two decisions were wrong, costing one ref his job in the process.

I'm not sure "currupt" is right though. Don't forget that Romero should have gone for pulling Cucarella's hair...

I think the use of it is ultimately incompetence more than anything, and highlights how poor the refereeing is. It's hard not to make the case that we are being stitched up though with how much it goes against us!

Nothing will change with VAR until they have to document the reasons why some of these questionable decisions are made.

Whether it is incompetence or corruption, they just hide behind silence. Media such as MOTD and SKY just seem to let is slide and I don't get why, any managers that speak out are slapped with fines. It is becoming worse and worse, lack of consistency and I really do believe the tech is not there yet. Low res footage which in no way can pick up the point a ball is struck, when looking for a offside. If the video shows the ball as moving, it is too late. That could be 20,30 or 40 frames, you just cant make calls on such tight decisions with those levels of error.

After each game, there should be a review written of each VAR decision and how they came to the result they did. Explaining the penalty against us and the non-check (may be they did) of the handball that lead up to their 2nd goal, would be interesting. I guess the problem for them then is that it will be easier to pick up on inconstancies from game to game, maybe even within the same game.

I know being at a game and having to endure these decisions is not entertainment at all. Richys disallowed goal last week is an example. It took far too long and the margins were so tight it was ridiculous. It seemed their only agenda was to check and check and check until they could disallow it..

Last edited:
The problem was the same before VAR as it is after VAR

Referees are absolutely awful. They have a massive chip on their shoulder, they have bias, they make errors, put all that together and you get bad match officials.

It doesn't matter if you have a video replay system, you still have corrupt idiots looking at it.

At best, we have indivuals with an agenda. At worst, this is organised corruption.

The problem was the same before VAR as it is after VAR

Referees are absolutely awful. They have a massive chip on their shoulder, they have bias, they make errors, put all that together and you get bad match officials.

It doesn't matter if you have a video replay system, you still have corrupt idiots looking at it.

At best, we have indivuals with an agenda. At worst, this is organised corruption.
Don’t seem to get the same
Problems with Rugby which is a lot harder to ref

Nothing will change with VAR until they have to document the reasons why some of these questionable decisions are made.

Whether it is incompetence or corruption, they just hide behind silence. Media such as MOTD and SKY just seem to let is slide and I don't get why, any managers that speak out are slapped with fines. It is becoming worse and worse, lack of consistency and I really do believe the tech is not there yet. Low res footage which in no way can pick up the point a ball is struck, when looking for a offside. If the video shows the ball as moving, it is too late. That could be 20,30 or 40 frames, you just cant make calls on such tight decisions with those levels of error.

After each game, there should be a review written of each VAR decision and how they came to the result they did. Explaining the penalty against us and the non-check (may be they did) of the handball that lead up to their 2nd goal, would be interesting. I guess the problem for them then is that it will be easier to pick up on inconstancies from game to game, maybe even within the same game.

I know being at a game and having to endure these decisions is not entertainment at all. Richys disallowed goal last week is an example. It took far too long and the margins were so tight it was ridiculous. It seemed there only agenda was to check and check and check until they could disallow it..
These refs are actually professional so their performance should be analysed and questioned but no. You cant say anything because they have it so tough

Said it before, still saying it...

Get them mic'd up. Constant feed on the red button, cut to that feed when waiting for decisions, feed it into stadium announcement systems so everyone knows what is happening.

Said it before, still saying it...

Get them mic'd up. Constant feed on the red button, cut to that feed when waiting for decisions, feed it into stadium announcement systems so everyone knows what is happening.
Said it before, say it again, there would be a riot in the stands. If the on field refs mic picks up bad language then the broadcasters would be in the shit with broadcasting regulators too

T
Said it before, say it again, there would be a riot in the stands. If the on field refs mic picks up bad language then the broadcasters would be in the shit with broadcasting regulators too
Then they have to grow up!

You're seriously saying that grown men can't control themselves?!

Make swearing on the mic a yellow card offence that can be applied retrospectively. It'll soon stop happening.

It isn't an issue in rugby. Shouldn't be an issue to stop it happening in football.

VAR has not ruined football.

Football, like society in general, is corrupt and run by a cartel of greedy criminals.

VAR should help referees get more decisions right more often.

In my opinion it has been deliberately mismanaged to create the frustration that will inevitably lead to calls for VAR to be removed.

The bookies and those involved in cheating will be thrilled.

Normal service can be resumed.

Last edited:
Would be nice to hear the views of some ref´s on this forum, we should have some!

I don´t know the rules, but can you actually get a penalty for intention??? Because there were no touch at all in that situation!

I´m fucking fuming, aren´t these people fucking ashamed of themselves? Because it must be know to the F.A., PGMOL, and SKY by now that we fans now know they are corrupt. Will anyone do ANYTHING about it???
It's not the first time a Spurs player has conceded a pen for trying to kick the ball but ended up kicking an opposition player in the back of the leg cos they came charging in from behind to take the ball. Aurier suffered that fate more than once.

This is however the most eggregious instance of that style of penalty.

Don’t seem to get the same
Problems with Rugby which is a lot harder to ref
I think it’s the way it’s used. In rugby, the on pitch official is genuinely asking for assistance for something he isn’t sure about, and needs a hand in seeing what happened. In the PL, they’re only verifying that the right decision is made.

Basically, rugby officials are using VAR to get the decision correct. But we’re seeing it used to proper up the ego of the officials on the pitch. I agree this seems like a fine line, but it’s an enormous difference in practice.

T

Then they have to grow up!

You're seriously saying that grown men can't control themselves?!

Make swearing on the mic a yellow card offence that can be applied retrospectively. It'll soon stop happening.

It isn't an issue in rugby. Shouldn't be an issue to stop it happening in football.
It won't stop happening will it. If yellow cards deterred anything at all, no one would get yellow cards.

It won't stop happening will it. If yellow cards deterred anything at all, no one would get yellow cards.
Of course yellow cards are a deterrent. If they weren't, then everyone would be flying into tackles like Cuti, pulling players back, etc.

There will obviously be instances where players will get lost in the heat of the moment and swear but that's on them.

Hopefully it would cut down on the swarming round the ref at every opportunity too.

Of course yellow cards are a deterrent. If they weren't, then everyone would be flying into tackles like Cuti, pulling players back, etc.

There will obviously be instances where players will get lost in the heat of the moment and swear but that's on them.

Hopefully it would cut down on the swarming round the ref at every opportunity too.

It won't be on them. Sky etc will all be in the shit for having idiot players f-ing and blinding on live TV in the middle of the day. Eventually they'll either stop it or have it all moved to post 9pm kick offs. There's rules around language and TV broadcasts.
And then you have have the rules around playing it over the stadium PA system

There's no point arguing with me about it, these aren't my rules, they're just "the" rules.

It won't be on them. Sky etc will all be in the shit for having idiot players f-ing and blinding on live TV in the middle of the day. Eventually they'll either stop it or have it all moved to post 9pm kick offs. There's rules around language and TV broadcasts.
And then you have have the rules around playing it over the stadium PA system

There's no point arguing with me about it, these aren't my rules, they're just "the" rules.
That argument works if it wasn't for the fact that rugby have managed it for years so there is absolutely no reason why football can't.

That argument works if it wasn't for the fact that rugby have managed it for years so there is absolutely no reason why football can't.
Rugby isn't football.
Rugby fans and players are totally different people.
Plenty of other sports have audio live, F1, tennis. They're just more civilised people.

It's not the first time a Spurs player has conceded a pen for trying to kick the ball but ended up kicking an opposition player in the back of the leg cos they came charging in from behind to take the ball. Aurier suffered that fate more than once.

This is however the most eggregious instance of that style of penalty.
But he isn´t kicking him in the back of the leg, he isn´t kicking him at all! He misses the ball and kicks in the air

I dont think games should be played on Saturdays (7th Day Adventists and Jews) or Sundays (Christians).

10am Wednesday morning should keep everyone happy.

Back
Top Bottom