VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
The inconsistencies of decision making haven't been removed from the game. Take the Saints Penalty at the weekend, some refs give that, others don't. Some clubs get those all the time, others don't.

You might see one ref allow the first 4-5 heavy challenges in a game go unopposed, another ref might book the first one.

VAR hasn't fixed shit.

All VAR has done is brought us the wonderful offside rules where you can be offside by quarter of an inch. So much so its not even visible to the naked eye. but we have to rely on officials deploying a series of lines. Sometimes they draw the lines over and over and the decision can take several minutes, sometimes you see a goal scored and immediatley think "that looked way offside" and you don't even get the lines, which leads people to come up with some bizarre conspiracy theories.

But the elephant in the room is its sucked out all the spontaneouty of celebrating a goal which was the single best thing in football.

VAR is pointless if you can't get to 100% consistency across officials and clubs.

Scrap it

The inconsistencies of decision making haven't been removed from the game. Take the Saints Penalty at the weekend, some refs give that, others don't. Some clubs get those all the time, others don't.

You might see one ref allow the first 4-5 heavy challenges in a game go unopposed, another ref might book the first one.

VAR hasn't fixed shit.

All VAR has done is brought us the wonderful offside rules where you can be offside by quarter of an inch. So much so its not even visible to the naked eye. but we have to rely on officials deploying a series of lines. Sometimes they draw the lines over and over and the decision can take several minutes, sometimes you see a goal scored and immediatley think "that looked way offside" and you don't even get the lines, which leads people to come up with some bizarre conspiracy theories.

But the elephant in the room is its sucked out all the spontaneouty of celebrating a goal which was the single best thing in football.

VAR is pointless if you can't get to 100% consistency across officials and clubs.

Scrap it
The offside part is definitely the worst part - it should be revised to

1. If any part of the attacker is level with any part of a defender - then it is onside. We want to encourage attacking play and goals, not find any excuse to rule them out.
  2. Next thing should be that if any player is offside it should be called - and if it hasn't been (due to 1 above) and any further phase of play occurs without a flag or whistle, then there is a reset and the offside is ignored. This way a striker who is clearly onside when he scores isn't ruled out by an unpunished infringement by a teammate 2 or 3 passes earlier.
  3. All incidents of "simulation" (cheating) should be punished with a warning once play is stopped after the event and
  4. Be given a booking after a second occurrence
  5. Red card after a third.
  6. Any group of 3 players or more haranguing the referee should all be booked.
  7. All penalties should only be given if called by the referees, but must be checked on the screen, if not seen by ref or assistant - then VAR stays silent.
  8. VAR can then only bring obvious infringements to the referees intention where laws of the game are broken or injuries unnoticed by the referee have occurred.

I dont think games should be played on Saturdays (7th Day Adventists and Jews) or Sundays (Christians).

10am Wednesday morning should keep everyone happy.
Letting a man who hasnt eaten all day have a date or a sugarpacket or whatever in a natural pause in the game during an evening match is the exactly the same thing as a whole day off.

Donald Trump No GIF by Election 2016

VAR is a great idea and corrects so many bad decisions. I think even the fans that hate it change their mind pretty quickly when it saves their side. I can think of many examples that have benefitted us, especially against City. The implementation has not been great though, but these things take time to perfect. I'd hate to be without now.

I dont think games should be played on Saturdays (7th Day Adventists and Jews) or Sundays (Christians).

10am Wednesday morning should keep everyone happy.

CL games in NZ kick off around 9am. So when we go out to a shit Milan team without a shot on goal you get the rest of the day to reflect on what you just witnessed.

It's great.

VAR isnt the problem imo, the implementation is. Spending 3 minutes to find an offside is no problem, but having the ref check the monitor to see if he made a bad call when giving/not giving a pen "slows down play" too much.

It was frustrating to get a bad call against you before, but when they dont correct it even though they can it adds tenfold to that frustration. I mean, Brighton should have had a pen yday, ref misses it, VAR says all good move along nothing to see. Had the ref given it, does anyone think for a second that VAR would have intervened and removed it? That is the problem, its random because of the clear and obvious bullshit. Correct bad calls where they can be corrected or just remove it. The way it currently works is like they are asking for corruption accusations.

Last week at wolves forest podence spat at Johnson. I seen and said he’s going to get a red. It went to var and they said no harm done. Now he is getting done by fa. How does that make sense!

I know we wouldn’t have got to the CL final without it, and we would t have won yesterday , but it’s quite clear the people using this arnt capable… the technology is fine , it just doesn’t suit this game. It’s ruining the game.

Just scrap it and just leave goal line technology only .

I know we wouldn’t have got to the CL final without it, and we would t have won yesterday , but it’s quite clear the people using this arnt capable… the technology is fine , it just doesn’t suit this game. It’s ruining the game.

Just scrap it and just leave goal line technology only .
VAR should be making all the decisions and the 4 officials on the pitch should be there to communicate those decisions.

Intimidating the on field officials should be an instant red card and the pitchside monitor should be scrapped.

Clubs should have the right to appeal decisions that are blatantly incorrect, after the game, and the whole process should be transparent. If necessary players who are caught cheating / diving / feigning injury should receive mandatory 5 match bans. Games should be replayed if cheating / poor decisions have a defining affect on the outcome of the match result.

Supporters calling for VAR to be scrapped is due to the volume of terrible decisions VAR is (deliberately) coming up with in the Premier League.

They want it scrapped because if VAR is used correctly it levels the playing field and the bigger clubs cannot be guaranteed to win, when they need to, through dodgy officiating.

I am rapidly concluding that top flight football is fixed in the interests of the richest clubs and the bookmakers.

Brighton were on the receiving end of one bad decision yesterday. The clear penalty that should have been awarded after the foul by Hojbjerg on Minamino. A decision that was so bad; as a Spurs supporter I feel ashamed to have benefitted from it.

The handballs were both fair to be awarded, in Spurs favour, in my opinion.

Spurs won the game because they scored two very good goals.

Brighton were given a free gift for the goal they did score and unfortunately for them they hit the post and controlled the ball with their arms / hands for the three other big chances they created / Spurs gifted them.

Lenglet probably did pull Dunk's shirt too but apart from that Brighton didn't create enough clear cut chances in the game to have too many complaints.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom