Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's the checking of every single goal that's the problem...just think of the amount of goals like last night's that'll be disallowed thanks to some minor infringement in the build up...unless there's a glaring error there shouldn't be any review at all.
Exactly. It's simply absurd to automatically verify whether every goal is 100% legitimate because where does it end? You'll have the VAR guy rewinding the tape to a minute earlier, ruling out goals because it wasn't a throw in, etc, and mirco-analysing every minor, insignificant bloody infringement like the first goal yesterday. (Meanwhile the poor supporters sit in muted celebration as the last-minute 'winning' goal goes in against the Woolwich, waiting nervously if it's permissible to jump with joy for fear of gut-wrenching heartbreak and mockery as a wayward shoelace gets forensically analysed for being offside)

And then the bastards won't add-on the correct number of agonising minutes it takes to 'clear-up' matters for fear of embarrassment and folks missing their train connections home. In it's current form it's a complete farce and utterly unfeasible, and I've got no confidence it will ever be used efficiently and appropriately going forward...

Last edited:
It's the checking of every single goal that's the problem...just think of the amount of goals like last night's that'll be disallowed thanks to some minor infringement in the build up...unless there's a glaring error there shouldn't be any review at all.
I think this is why a challenge system could be used. If you only get 1-2 per game that's refunded if the decision is overturned we'd be in a better place. What happened last night has to be used as a watershed for VAR.

If they want to stop fans going to games, bring it in. No consideration for spectators at all.
I think it’s for intended for TV/Sky entertainment anyway.
The ref was taking advice from VAR for Llorente’s chip ffs.
There was an incident when Henderson took the ball down with his arm about 40 yards from goal, beat Dier and had a decent chance of getting or setting up a goal in the second half.
Would that have counted?
When does the missed incident leading to a goal not count.
For instance what if was an obvious error to award a free kick and a goal comes from it?
What about a foul by a player deep in his own half that the ref does not give, the player passes the ball on, his team breaks and scores. Is that a clear and obvious error leading to a goal?

Also when the 5th went in one of their players asked the ref for VAR, for offside.

Imo use it for contentious offsides sendings off and penalties only. That’s what all the fuss is about.
Let each team have 2 reviews for goals conceded/scored and judged on/offside and 2 for penalties they think were or were not.
Penalty decisions the ref blows for infringement and only goes to VAR if appealed.
If appealed VAR decision stands. It’s thier interpretation.
If reviews are spent, Refs decision is final , it’s his interpretation VAR not consulted.
If missed by the ref the team can appeal and VAR makes the decision.
Once the reviews are used then the ref decision is final. VAR cannot be consulted or influence the ref.

Offsides the same. Only can be reviewed if a goal is scored against you & you think it should have been offside or a goal is disallowed for offside you think wasn’t offside.
Once reviews are used the officials have the last say.
VAR is not consulted or influences the ref is

If a player has a yellow card and commits another foul that seems bookable he blows for the foul he hints to VAR about a booking , VAR is checking simultaneously.
There’s always time before he reaches anyway whilst the players try to influence.
In his ear, yes you’re correct or no just a foul.
If he’s thinking of sending someone off for a straight red, he blows for the foul VAR are checking simultaneously. He says his thinking of straight red, they either confirm or say yellow.

Those are the only times it should be used. VAR is not used for fouls or first yellow cards .

Hopefully nobody gets a wrong penalty decision, sending off or offside that costs them.
If they do get a wrong penalty call or offside after they have used their reviews or have chooses not to use the them, tough shit.

It's working really well in Germany and Italy. Why the hell are so slow in England?
Because the way it's set up is seemingly for VAR to substitute for the refs instead of being a tool for the first official to call upon when necessary.

With the game yesterday there really wasn't much of a reason for the official to even be on the field if he was going to defer to VAR for such nonsense bullshit.

I see a few guys here calling for the kind of "challenge system" we have here in North America. I would say that you don't want this! It will turn into gamesmanship and managers stalling or challenging the most inane possible thing. I watch a fair amount of hockey, and we have goals being reviewed because someone was literally an inch offside 2 minutes prior to a goal being scored. It's asinine.

Before this was even a thing, I was in favour of video review. I figured that there were too many calls missed and incompetent referees and all that. But now that I've seen it in action in general, I have changed that position. It's terrible, ruins the flow of the game, and they're not actually correcting much of anything. I can live with human error and at least it gives me something to whinge about over a beer!

I think it’s for intended for TV/Sky entertainment anyway.
The ref was taking advice from VAR for Llorente’s chip ffs.
There was an incident when Henderson took the ball down with his arm about 40 yards from goal, beat Dier and had a decent chance of getting or setting up a goal in the second half.
Would that have counted?
When does the missed incident leading to a goal not count.
For instance what if was an obvious error to award a free kick and a goal comes from it?
What about a foul by a player deep in his own half that the ref does not give, the player passes the ball on, his team breaks and scores. Is that a clear and obvious error leading to a goal?

Also when the 5th went in one of their players asked the ref for VAR, for offside.
Also, what when reviewing a decision and the decision was over turned and correct but during this review something else was spotted but for the other team? Honestly it's endless, where would it end?

Apologies if this has already been discussed (I haven't been through all of this thread yet), but I found it interesting/horrifying.... (From a BBC article).

Former Premier League referee Chris Foy on BT Sport: "What's been misconstrued is that VAR looks at match-changing instances. Every time a goal is scored it is automatically checked. The referee feels there is a foul by Llorente in the disallowed Lamela goal. Without VAR I think that goal would have stood."

So essentially, after EVERY goal, someone is going to scrutinise the video and try to find a reason to disallow it. I thought that it would only be used if the referee on the pitch had a doubt as to whether the goal should stand. This is bullshit, it practically makes the on-pitch officials redundant. They don't really have to be paying any attention if someone else is going to review every moment of action anyhow. Piss poor.

It's working really well in Germany and Italy. Why the hell are so slow in England?
Is it? I watched a German cup game recently, think it was Schalke v Wolfsberg, 5 minute stoppage to sort out a bit of handbags stuff. 2 yellow cards issued, crowd booing with not a clue what was happening, didn't seem to be a roaring success.

Apologies if this has already been discussed (I haven't been through all of this thread yet), but I found it interesting/horrifying.... (From a BBC article).

Former Premier League referee Chris Foy on BT Sport: "What's been misconstrued is that VAR looks at match-changing instances. Every time a goal is scored it is automatically checked. The referee feels there is a foul by Llorente in the disallowed Lamela goal. Without VAR I think that goal would have stood."

So essentially, after EVERY goal, someone is going to scrutinise the video and try to find a reason to disallow it. I thought that it would only be used if the referee on the pitch had a doubt as to whether the goal should stand. This is bullshit, it practically makes the on-pitch officials redundant. They don't really have to be paying any attention if someone else is going to review every moment of action anyhow. Piss poor.
Agreed. Not how the system should be handled.

It’s pathetic. A black hole sucking the joy out of the game.

Can you imagine...

Gazza...”is he going to have a crack? He is you know...OH I SAY...oh hold on...VAR has spotted something.”

10 minutes later. “No goal, and a free kick to Woolwich. Vinny Samways slightly nudged Alan Smith’s arm in the wall. As you were.”

If Lamela’s wasn’t a goal, 90% of all goals shouldn’t count either.

VAR is never going to work like this. It needs to be used only if the ref is genuinely uncertain about something (Kane’s first penalty against Liverpool for instance, where the ref had to consult the linesman).

Or just train referees better.

If this gets implemented in the prem then I’m going to struggle to enjoy going anymore - after every goal the on field ref has his hand on his ear looking for a reason to be disallowed!

After being a season ticket holder for almost 20 years this is the single one development in this great sport of ours that is threatening to bring the game down from the inside.

We might as well just all sim the game on FIFA and call it a day.

Lol e eryonesaying VAR should only be used when.....

Fuck it off and leave football as it was. If you can’t celebrate a goal when it’s scored then football is dead.
Dead.

I wouldn't say it is working really well in Italy, I don't really watch Bundesliga so don't know about that. Working horribly in Australia. In fact most refs barely use it now except for when it favours the biggest team in the league.

Back
Top Bottom