Villa H Sat 10 Aug 17:30 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son's suspended
giphy.gif

Eriksen is probably neither signing a new contract nor off. He’s likely to just run his contract down. So don’t get too excited when you see him in the starting lineup.

There will have been conversations between Levy and Eriksen/agent at the start of the TW as to what deal might be acceptable to club. Agent will have talked to loads of clubs - particularly those in Spain during TW with ( as we can see by the fact he's still here) much less interest than expected.

Similarly there will have been conversations between Eriksen and his agent with Levy / Poch to figure out the way forward - whatever the outcome the issue is that if Eriksen wants to play a lot between now and January,/summer he needs to play to him maximum ability and/ or he will start on the bench if others perform better in training.....either of which means he has to perform or his idea of moving to Spain may not be likely.

It might have been in Eriksens interest to have another contract with Spurs giving him a relese clause ( maybe £50m plus or minus) exercisable in say June - gives both spurs advantages and Eriksen some advantages.

If he wants to go on a free, Spurs can't stop him but imo not as easy as it seems

White looked uncomfortable at left back. I don't think that's where he'll play if he makes it in the top flight
His preferred position is CM/DM but had played AM and even CB against Barcelona youth ( very successfully ) , but did well as LB in pre season for Spurs despite that being perhaps his 3rd position. Bit like Kane being GK but White much better as LB even though not his best postion

If he wants to go on a free, Spurs can't stop him but imo not as easy as it seems

"As easy as it seems" to me is he just plays hard this year and then goes to whatever team he wants to next Summer. What team in the world wouldn't take him on a free?

So what am I missing there that makes it more difficult than it seems?

"As easy as it seems" to me is he just plays hard this year and then goes to whatever team he wants to next Summer. What team in the world wouldn't take him on a free?

So what am I missing there that makes it more difficult than it seems?

No dedication to Spurs = maybe start on bench.

As I have written elsewhere there will have been extensive discussions over TW starting with what kind of deal might be agreed this TW to agreement as to what happens this coming season.

Precise outcome I have no clue - but some kind of contract / agreement describing how both Eriksen interests and Spurs interests are protected

It will NOT be that Eriksen can play without some form of agreement.l etc.

Eriksen nerds to play to demonstrate to a new employer he is worthwhile - otherwise Eriksen forgets playing for a top side - according to many Spurs fans he was port last season and invisible in CL final so that needs to be reversed for his new employer.

TEAM NEWS:
🛑 Dele Alli - Hamstring
🛑Ben Davies - Groin
🛑Juan Foyth - Ankle
🛑Heung-Min Son - Suspended
🛑Serge Aurier - Hand
🛑Ryan Sessengon - Hamstring
✅Victor Wanyama and Eric Dier have returned full training
New signings Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso are available. #COYS
So with that in mind, I reckon the lineup more or less writes itself tomorrow:

.......................................Lloris
KWP........ Alderweireld....... Vertonghen..... Rose
..............Sissoko........Ndombele......... Winks
.....................................Eriksen
..........................Kane............. Lucas

With Lucas playing off Kane up front. Maybe, failing that, some kind of diamond with Sissoko and Lucas on the sides.

Either way, I think that will safely be the starting XI when you factor in the absentees and Lo Celso being far too new. He will make the bench though, in my opinion, given the number of suspensions and injuries. Lamela would be the only player who'd possibly be starting that I didn't include.

Kane - Lucas
Eriksen
NDombele - Winks - Sissoko
Rose - Jan - Toby - KWP
Lloris

Subs: Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Dier, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lamela, Parrott

It will NOT be that Eriksen can play without some form of agreement.l etc.

I don’t agree with this. Spurs trying to blackmail Eriksen into signing a contract by threatening his playing time will end horribly for Spurs. Even if Eriksen doesn’t play a minute this year, top teams will still be in for him on a free, though maybe his wages won’t be as high as they would be if he gets to play.

Eriksen holds most of the cards here. Not playing him would be a bit of cutting off our nose to spite our face. Are we going to do the same thing with Toby then?

Back
Top Bottom